ABF | Phantom Auto

22 foot long freight items, light pole, bars of metal, all kinds of tubing. And recouping 50 lb damaged bags of rice, flower, salt, plastic pellets, etc. How about having to re-pack all or part of a customers u-pack? And NOT damage it. When it comes to 'high & tight', & no damaged freight, I think a human will hands down, with this arguement. von.

22 foot long freight items, light pole, bars of metal, all kinds of tubing. And recouping 50 lb damaged bags of rice, flower, salt, plastic pellets, etc. How about having to re-pack all or part of a customers u-pack? And NOT damage it. When it comes to 'high & tight', & no damaged freight, I think a human will hands down, with this arguement. von.
Why would you re-pack a U-pack? Weren't they head loads.

I was going to respond to him but I’d rather keep my blood pressure down….
I can tell you that your Tm is just being cheap. Our TM is getting all new doors on dock. Guys started this week and any time we have a dock plate issue or any Maintenace issue it is fixed within a week. There getting ready to rehab our terminal with all new floors, ceilings, lights, paint, etc. Definitely not ABF telling him no, he just doesn't want the money coming out of his PL.

I can tell you that your Tm is just being cheap. Our TM is getting all new doors on dock. Guys started this week and any time we have a dock plate issue or any Maintenace issue it is fixed within a week. There getting ready to rehab our terminal with all new floors, ceilings, lights, paint, etc. Definitely not ABF telling him no, he just doesn't want the money coming out of his PL.
We had a guy come up from the Fort. I backed a trailer in for him to take pictures. Talked to the steward yesterday & this is the final straw. I don’t care who is responsable for this but it’s going to get fixed one way or the other….

Standards of Maintenace.
I am shocked that you got a like from SOR who knows better.
There is no "standards of maintenance" in the contract.
There is only "Maintenance of Standards", which has absolutely nothing to do with repairs.

There is only "Maintenance of Standards", which has absolutely nothing to do with repairs.
Read and learn, NMFA.

"ARTICLE 16. EQUIPMENT, SAFETY AND HEALTH
Preamble
It is agreed that all parties covered by this Agreement shall comply
with all applicable federal, state and local regulations pertaining to
worker safety and health and subjects covered by Article 16. Failure
to do so shall be subject to the grievance procedure, in accordance
with Articles 7 and 8 of the NMFA, and any other remedies pre-
scribed by law after the procedures contained in this Agreement are
exhausted. Class A casual mechanics will not be allowed to sign off
safety related write ups."

& the Kelly plates that do work take two people….

Where would the contract violation be? Doors down and cones around the dock plates.
If you bothered to read the "hole" post (lol) you would notice he says it takes two people...sounds like a safety issue to me......but I know you are too busy siding with management to read the whole thing....smdh

Read and learn, NMFA.

"ARTICLE 16. EQUIPMENT, SAFETY AND HEALTH
Preamble
It is agreed that all parties covered by this Agreement shall comply
with all applicable federal, state and local regulations pertaining to
worker safety and health and subjects covered by Article 16. Failure
to do so shall be subject to the grievance procedure, in accordance
with Articles 7 and 8 of the NMFA, and any other remedies pre-
scribed by law after the procedures contained in this Agreement are
exhausted. Class A casual mechanics will not be allowed to sign off
safety related write ups."
Again, if the company has closed off the area with cones and has put that dock door "out of service", where is the violation.

Wow. Blade, I thought you had forgot about me as this is the first time you have mentioned me in a while. How did I get so lucky (sarcasm). My answer to your response above Is this. In the Master side of our contract, Article 6, Section 1. is “Maintenance of Standards”. And it clearly states that “general working conditions shall be maintained at not less than the highest standards in effect at the time of the signing of this Agreement, and the conditions of employment shall be improved whenever specific provisions for improvement are made elsewhere in this Agreement”.
You do of course realize that each supplement to the Master Agreement is different. Some supplements have more Articles than others. As an example, the supplement that ABF381 works under has Articles 40 thru 73 (I think it is). Here in the Southern Region, our supplement only has Articles 40 thru 61 for the Local Freight Forwarding Pickup And Delivery Supplement.
So, having more Articles in their supplement tells me that there very well may be more language pertaining to “Maintenance of Standards” in other Supplemental Agreements.
So as usual, you decide to chime in not knowing what language might be in each of the many different supplements to the ABF NATIONAL MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT.
But Thanks for thinking about me Blade. It is so nice to know that I still live in your head.

8EC78F5B-4868-44B0-AE19-F510D4D6CF44.md.jpg
Ya I don’t see that happening in ltl. I believe they will sell them to warehouses like you said. It’s just amazing they have the money for that but we have 6 Kelly dock plates we can’t get replaced, they have cones in front of those doors for the last 3 years. We have at least 8 doors out of 40 we can’t use because of neglect & the Kelly plates that do work take two people….
If I were to deal with this situation, I would follow Triplex’s suggestion and use Article 16 on them. Not just the dock plates taken out-of-service, but all the one’s that are not operating properly as well (two men to put in a dock plate). This is clearly a safety issue and covered by Article 16, Section 1. and 2. of the Master Agreement. Once the situation begins to affect the operating efficiency of that terminal (work delay’s), I would bet that the Fort would get it corrected very quickly.

Again, if the company has closed off the area with cones and has put that dock door "out of service", where is the violation.
Bullshit if it was a functioning door then its needs to be fixed to a functioning door. That is what Maintenace means you hammer. MAINTAINING

8EC78F5B-4868-44B0-AE19-F510D4D6CF44.md.jpg

If I were to deal with this situation, I would follow Triplex’s suggestion and use Article 16 on them. Not just the dock plates taken out-of-service, but all the one’s that are not operating properly as well (two men to put in a dock plate). This is clearly a safety issue and covered by Article 16, Section 1. and 2. of the Master Agreement. Once the situation begins to affect the operating efficiency of that terminal (work delay’s), I would bet that the Fort would get it corrected very quickly.
Agree with you 100%...if you can't work a dock plate with one man as intended, you refuse to operate it.....that gets their attention......