XPO | Physically Demanding?

John A.

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello all, just wondering how physically demanding the dock work is, specifically in Fremont. I've got a bad ankle so I'm curious as to how much time is spent on your feet.

Hello all, just wondering how physically demanding the dock work is, specifically in Fremont. I've got a bad ankle so I'm curious as to how much time is spent on your feet.
On and off the lift a lot, moving dunnage, a bad ankle will hinder you. We’re not a pin to pin operation.

I don’t work in Fremont, but I say dock work can be pretty physically demanding. We build our own load decks in trailers, so that involves raising and lowering bars and getting deck boards. You will have to move plenty of plywood, some cartons/hand freight. Lots of pushing and pulling climbing etc. There are plenty of drivers and dock workers that have Velcro on their but and don’t get off the forklift. So in that respect, there may not be a lot of a physical aspect to dock work. If I had to guess, I’d say you could be on your feet 40%-50%of your time on the dock.

I'm doing a fat and bone route now. Rolling the 2-300 pound barrels at the slaughterhouse isn't too bad but the store pickups involve a lot of walking, that's what gets me.