Pitt-Ohio | Pitt Ohio v USF Holland

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Today at a gas station that I deliver to every Friday a man told me to park the two wheeler and run over to Sherwood Food Service, it's less two wheeling and more money making. It is true most of my job running the side loader involves a two wheeler no doubt.

Any how then he said, but forget Sherwood and join them over at USF Holland's Akron, Ohio terminal. I said "Well actually I was thinking about going over to Pitt-Ohio, in good time."

He said "Nahh don't go there, our insurance at USF Holland is free, there's costs money. Nahh you got to come over to USF Holland that's where the money is at."

I never really saw my self working for an outfit like USF Holland. My question is, USF Holland is part of the whole YRC mess of companies. I mean it seems YRC basically has a lot of different companies that almost all do the exact same thing. Like I can ship something regionally on a Roadway Truck, unless the regional carriers can move the freight a little faster through that region then the big national companies can, but it seems like YRC owns a lot of companies that are all almost competing against each other. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

I read the Holland forum sometimes not often and it doesn't seem like there are very many happy campers there. I don't know what do you guys think about Pitt-Ohio vs USF Holland? Personally, I like Pitt-Ohio better there terminal is close to my house and I don't know Pitt-Ohio is alright.

Well the company I work for right now, is alright, not great, but I would say for someone like my self who is new to this whole thing, it's not a bad start.

Health is free at Pitt. They put into a 401k and you can also add to that. 5 weeks vacation with an option for 6 at less vaca money but more vacation.

Well that's all better then I get right now. I was thinking about doing a tour of duty at Mains Food and Paper and then maybe by then Pitt-Ohio Cleveland will have an opening.

In addition to the free health insurance you should compare the rest of the pay and benefit package. Also, how much time will you miss when freight is slow? Pitt has a "rolling layoff". If there is no work for you and you stay home, you will work the other 4 days that week. The night off is offered down from the top and, at least at my terminal, there is usually someone that volunteers before it gets to the bottom guy. On Fridays, it NEVER makes it to the bottom!

Also compare your commuting costs.

Commuting cost is one of the main reasons I want to go over to Pitt-Ohio. There terminal is way closer to where I live. Mains Food and Paper would be okay, as it's food service teams in a sleeper cab truck, and those usually run on a 24 hour cycle. So I wouldn't have to drive to work everyday of the week. Mains Food Service advertises on the radio all the time. Sysco Cleveland advertises on the radio to and the Sysco terminal is pretty close to my house, but I don't know, about Sysco there's a lot of unhappy campers at Sysco Cleveland.

The top 4 companies I hear on the radio in Cleveland, Ohio looking for drivers are USF Holland in Akron, Ohio, Mains Food and Paper, Sysco Foods of Cleveland and Logan Trucking of Canton, Ohio. Logan is a flatbed steel hauler, I see them quite a bit near the still plant in Lorain, Ohio.

Commuting cost is one of the main reasons I want to go over to Pitt-Ohio. There terminal is way closer to where I live. Mains Food and Paper would be okay, as it's food service teams in a sleeper cab truck, and those usually run on a 24 hour cycle. So I wouldn't have to drive to work everyday of the week. Mains Food Service advertises on the radio all the time. Sysco Cleveland advertises on the radio to and the Sysco terminal is pretty close to my house, but I don't know, about Sysco there's a lot of unhappy campers at Sysco Cleveland.

The top 4 companies I hear on the radio in Cleveland, Ohio looking for drivers are USF Holland in Akron, Ohio, Mains Food and Paper, Sysco Foods of Cleveland and Logan Trucking of Canton, Ohio. Logan is a flatbed steel hauler, I see them quite a bit near the still plant in Lorain, Ohio.

A word of advice from someone who "Been there, done that, have the T-shirt"; DO NOT DO TEAM FOODSERVICE! Either stay put and wait till Pitt-Ohio has an opening or go with another LTL company and get your feet wet.

I would go with NHB I don't know what Mains has opened, they have both sleeper cabs and day cabs here in Cleveland. I know you've said team food service doesn't work very well.

Today at a gas station that I deliver to every Friday a man told me to park the two wheeler and run over to Sherwood Food Service, it's less two wheeling and more money making. It is true most of my job running the side loader involves a two wheeler no doubt.

Any how then he said, but forget Sherwood and join them over at USF Holland's Akron, Ohio terminal. I said "Well actually I was thinking about going over to Pitt-Ohio, in good time."

He said "Nahh don't go there, our insurance at USF Holland is free, there's costs money. Nahh you got to come over to USF Holland that's where the money is at."

I never really saw my self working for an outfit like USF Holland. My question is, USF Holland is part of the whole YRC mess of companies. I mean it seems YRC basically has a lot of different companies that almost all do the exact same thing. Like I can ship something regionally on a Roadway Truck, unless the regional carriers can move the freight a little faster through that region then the big national companies can, but it seems like YRC owns a lot of companies that are all almost competing against each other. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know.

I read the Holland forum sometimes not often and it doesn't seem like there are very many happy campers there. I don't know what do you guys think about Pitt-Ohio vs USF Holland? Personally, I like Pitt-Ohio better there terminal is close to my house and I don't know Pitt-Ohio is alright.

Well the company I work for right now, is alright, not great, but I would say for someone like my self who is new to this whole thing, it's not a bad start.

I'd suggest Pitt Ohio, USF Holland is in a 15% wage giveback. They will never see that $$$ again, They also only contribute 25% of the Pension contributions. if they ever gave the full contribution they be wiped off the face of the earth.
Besides the teamster pension is almost broke. They have union Boss's getting up to 5 different pensions....
Why stuff their pockets with your $$$$$