Estes | Placarding

Ultimately, regardless of company policy, it is the driver's responsibility to ensure proper placarding going down the road. I believe, could be wrong, the yard is a safe haven. Placards can remain on even when empty
I have to chime in on this, That is incorrect for trailer to be on the yard empty with placards period. If there's some kind of fire/ Emergency at the location where that trailer is , there would be big fines after officials evacuated the neighborhood!!!

Y'all work for one of the best places to work in the country. Y'all keep it up, we'll be just like ups or one of those other guys carrying around orange cones with steel toe boots wearing buster brown socks and underwear

Local fire dept says otherwise ....
The yard is not a safe haven. If you have two trailer side by side one's on fire and the other one is near the flames loaded with flammable gas or flammable liquid and it doesn't have placards on it and your wife or husband is fighting that fire you want them to know about that hazardous material on the other trailer next to the one they're fighting? Of course you do. You need to ID hazardous material at all times whenever it's on a trailer or on the dock. You have to have a special place to store that on the dock. If your company hauls radioactive waste from the hospitals imaging departments and you get it into the yard you want to bet that that's going to be placarded the whole time it is in the yard. If you suffer fatal burns from acid, glow in the dark from radioactive waste, or get blown up by flammable gas, dead is dead. The idea behind the placard is to communicate the hazard to anybody and everybody near and or around the location of the material. I would get a new hazmat book about every year for all the dog earring on the booklet looking up numbers to make sure the right placards are on it and if in doubt I would call safety and give them the UN number and then they would tell me what to put on or what was on it was correct. The thought of a $2,500 fine to the driver or $11, 000 to the company made me sit up and focus when it came to hazmat materials. Be safe. Von.

Last edited:
The yard is not a safe haven. If you have two trailer side by side one's on fire and the other one is near the flames loaded with flammable gas or flammable liquid and it doesn't have placards on it and your wife or husband is fighting that fire you want them to know about that hazardous material on the other trailer next to the one they're fighting? Of course you do you need to ID hazardous material at all times whenever it's on a trailer or on the dock and went on the dock you have to have a special place to store that and it has that area. If your company hauls radioactive waste from the hospitals from the imaging departments and you get it into the yard you want to bet that that's going to be placarded the whole time it is in the yard. If you suffer fatal burns from acid glow in the dark from radioactive waste or get blown up by flammable gas dead is dead. The idea behind the placard is just to communicate the hazard to anybody and everybody near and or around the location of the material.

Exactly, also when the material comes off, so should the placards

Exactly, also when the material comes off, so should the placards
I believe the rule is when you go above a thousand pounds or below that's when they come on and come off but as soon as you start loading it or just as your loan that I'd flip them anyway cuz as soon as that hazmat's on there I mean it's on there nobody knows what's on there unless you actually tell them what the placards. von

The yard is not a safe haven. If you have two trailer side by side one's on fire and the other one is near the flames loaded with flammable gas or flammable liquid and it doesn't have placards on it and your wife or husband is fighting that fire you want them to know about that hazardous material on the other trailer next to the one they're fighting? Of course you d

Placards three weights to remember any 1001 pds or more 2205 or more 8820 or more table 1 haz mat placard any amount. Table2 placarded at 1001 pounds or more as a general rule with two exceptions combustible only required to be placarded when in bulk. Class9 only required to be placarded when in bulk. Bulk is when being shiped in a tank or tote capable of holding 119 gallons or more. I'd number placard is required.
I'd number placard also required for shipments of 8820 pounds or more of same haz mat and no other freight is on the trailer haz mat or no haz mat. Any table 2 haz mat with a weight of 2205 lbs or more class placard must be displayed flammable. Crossives etc dangerous can no longer be used to show 2205 lbs or more

Placards three weights to remember any 1001 pds or more 2205 or more 8820 or more table 1 haz mat placard any amount. Table2 placarded at 1001 pounds or more as a general rule with two exceptions combustible only required to be placarded when in bulk. Class9 only required to be placarded when in bulk. Bulk is when being shiped in a tank or tote capable of holding 119 gallons or more. I'd number placard is required.
I'd number placard also required for shipments of 8820 pounds or more of same haz mat and no other freight is on the trailer haz mat or no haz mat. Any table 2 haz mat with a weight of 2205 lbs or more class placard must be displayed flammable. Crossives etc dangerous can no longer be used to show 2205 lbs or more
Thanks for the info. Hazmat changes a lot, hence the test every 4 years for the endorsement. About every driver I knew could not keep up with all the regs on Haz Mat. von.

Everything he said plus the following. Any single container capable of holding more than 882lbs of solid or 1000lbs of gas is also considered a bulk container and requires the white UN numbers on the placard or the numbers placed on the orange rectangle in conjunction with a corresponding non-numbered placard. Orange numbers never go on placards and white numbers never go on orange rectangles, that will get a driver a fine. The "bulk" classification applies to container size not weight. For example, an empty tote, capable of carrying more than 119 gallons that had acid in it would be placarded as if it were full because it contains residue. Whereas a single skid of flammable spray paint containing fourty five 50lb cartons gets the regular, non-numbered placard because no container in the shipment exceeds 119 gallons in capacity.

The purpose of the placard is to warn of the hazard the material presents to the public. There is some HAZMAT which requires two placards regardless of weight. Let's say you have 551 lbs of acetone. It's primary hazard is flammable 3, but it also presents a subsidiary hazard of poison 6. Even though flammable 3 represents a table II hazard, the poison 6 hazard appears on table I. That means the acetone must be treated as a table I hazard and get placards showing both hazards regardless of weight. Subsidiary hazards include Poison Inhalation 2.3, Dangerous when wet 4.3, and Poison Inhalation 6.1

Last edited:
Unless you’re transporting car batteries. You can have a full truckload of car batteries and not one placard in sight if your company files the right paperwork. Dad drove for Johnson Controls Globe Battery division for years, always ran corrosive placs. Ryan leasing comes in and company does away with company drivers. Ruan runs out day one unplacarded. Big stink was made by displaced company drivers who were UAW. Long story short, turns out to be perfectly legal to run wet cell car batteries with no placs under federal refs if company files proper paperwork with feds. So much for the “communicate the risk”intent. How’d you like to walk up to a rolled over truckload of car batteries just beginning to burn as a first responder with no idea what you’re walking into.

I work for SAIA it's the same here, meet man brings you empties with placards.... On the other hand brings you loaded trailers that should have placards..... :poster oops:
We couldn’t suck any worse at the handling of hazmat. The regional safety person said it’s a company wide problem. Yeah, no ::shit::

Acetone class 3 only no sub 6.1 check it out search haz mat tables acetone you will see only class 3
Good catch and that's sorta reveals another part of the problem. I teach this stuff for every new group of dockworkers and dsr's that I onboard and off the top of my head I made a mistake. The complexity alone of dealing with HAZMAT almost sets us up for failure from the beginning. But that's not an excuse if we get it wrong, it's just a factor.

Unless you’re transporting car batteries. You can have a full truckload of car batteries and not one placard in sight if your company files the right paperwork. Dad drove for Johnson Controls Globe Battery division for years, always ran corrosive placs. Ryan leasing comes in and company does away with company drivers. Ruan runs out day one unplacarded. Big stink was made by displaced company drivers who were UAW. Long story short, turns out to be perfectly legal to run wet cell car batteries with no placs under federal refs if company files proper paperwork with feds. So much for the “communicate the risk”intent. How’d you like to walk up to a rolled over truckload of car batteries just beginning to burn as a first responder with no idea what you’re walking into.
Hate replying to my own post but couldn’t edit, it was Ruan not Ryan. Stoopid awtospel!

Ultimately, regardless of company policy, it is the driver's responsibility to ensure proper placarding going down the road. I believe, could be wrong, the yard is a safe haven. Placards can remain on even when empty
You are correct. Driver is responsible for his vehicle. That is why your CDL requires a hazmat endorsement. Bill packet should tell you what placards are needed but it's still your responsibility, even if the packet is wrong.