XPO | PLEASE , COME BACK FORMER XPO/CON-WAY DRIVERS!

Like I said in another thread, these guys will do anything they possibly can to solve the 'driver shortage' issues except deal with the real reason: top rate pay level.

Exactly. And I can't wait to see how they ruin the health care this year. I'm already at the point where it's probably better to be on the wife's insurance. And she just works at the grocery store. It's not like she has some killer job with amazing benefits. As soon as that tips to definitely, I will switch and then be a free agent. Looking to take my talents else where.

Talking with guys that have already left. That is the feeling. If we can't provide for our families and keep them healthy working here. Then what is the point ?

Two days ago I advised a SAIA driver not to apply for employment with XPO. There are many more companies with better benefits and start times than what XPO offers. XPO will not attract employees until they change their business model. I’ve been here 13 1/2 years and at a 0930 start time. People with just weeks less have 1000 and 1030 starts. A lot needs to change.

And they keep changing things that don't need messed with, and don't fix the things that do.

Exactly. And I can't wait to see how they ruin the health care this year. I'm already at the point where it's probably better to be on the wife's insurance. And she just works at the grocery store. It's not like she has some killer job with amazing benefits. As soon as that tips to definitely, I will switch and then be a free agent. Looking to take my talents else where.

Talking with guys that have already left. That is the feeling. If we can't provide for our families and keep them healthy working here. Then what is the point ?
I have to tell you, my wife works for the postal system and their insurance sucks! As much as ours sucks, theirs sucks more and she is on ours. Lots of people think the post office is a great job. Let me tell you. We have all seen the bulk mail center workers sleeping, reading books etc. the carrier job my wife has is paid by the route and it’s not worth it. If I didn’t have one kid in college and one more next year, she would be home taking care of me. I want to be on hers so I can have the freedom you speak of. Next year with the spouse surcharge (and whatever changes are made to ours), I will revisit it.

I see a pattern with XPO ...

1.) Cut as many people ( maybe too many ) as you think you can

2.) Push the people that are left to the limit ( those that remain are your diehards and will adjust to most changes )

3.) When the people start complaining that you are pushing to the limit , slowly start hiring more people to help...at lower wages with less benefits and experience

4.) Finally , make a real push to hire people to replace those that were eliminated when customers complain about service ( again , attracting only the less experienced offering less benefits )

XPO did this after purchasing Con-way. Eliminating account executives ( salespeople ) with the no-compete contracts and overall worse deals. Months later XPO comes out and publicly admits they cut too many salespeople and they are working hard to bulk up the staff.

With drivers you see a repeat of the same in a different way - driver workforce is shrinking due to retirements , people leaving , terminations , health , etc...Word of mouth keeps people from coming to this company.

At this point , I would NOT RECOMMEND XPO to a person that could get a job elsewhere. XPO is still in the middle of changing into whatever it will become
with more things being stripped away that you may not notice...until you need them and it's not there.
Spoken with wisdom and knowledge that only comes from experience.

I have to tell you, my wife works for the postal system and their insurance sucks! As much as ours sucks, theirs sucks more and she is on ours. Lots of people think the post office is a great job. Let me tell you. We have all seen the bulk mail center workers sleeping, reading books etc. the carrier job my wife has is paid by the route and it’s not worth it. If I didn’t have one kid in college and one more next year, she would be home taking care of me. I want to be on hers so I can have the freedom you speak of. Next year with the spouse surcharge (and whatever changes are made to ours), I will revisit it.

And the flip side to this is that there are guys working here that have their insurance trough their wife and could care less about what else happens. They just want that check.

Like I said in another thread, these guys will do anything they possibly can to solve the 'driver shortage' issues except deal with the real reason: top rate pay level.
Don’t forget to throw in stellar benefits, decent vacation, seniority rights that mean something, and maybe even a defined-benefit pension plan...THEN see who comes knocking.

Dang...I’m 1-for-2; perfect driving record, but only 30 years experience. Oh well, I tried.
Honestly , XPO uses other companies as examples of how they WANT and HOPE to be , but the examples usually stop short of examples that benefit the employees like drivers.

With Con-way now a part of a larger company ( XPO ) with MORE employees , you would think lower prices could be negotiated for BETTER benefits. Also , with the phenomenal corporate tax cuts AND wonderful numbers given to Wall Street combined with an increased need for drivers ( so we are told ) a logical person would think a proven driver would be in line for a TREMENDOUS raise ( along with an improvement to benefits in general )

P.S. check around at some of the main competitors to XPO ( yes , everyone complains about this and that ) in general , in places where it's hard to hold on to drivers XPO is behind and has terrible word-of-mouth on the streets amongst the VERY drivers that XPO wants.

Honestly , XPO uses other companies as examples of how they WANT and HOPE to be , but the examples usually stop short of examples that benefit the employees like drivers.

With Con-way now a part of a larger company ( XPO ) with MORE employees , you would think lower prices could be negotiated for BETTER benefits. Also , with the phenomenal corporate tax cuts AND wonderful numbers given to Wall Street combined with an increased need for drivers ( so we are told ) a logical person would think a proven driver would be in line for a TREMENDOUS raise ( along with an improvement to benefits in general )

P.S. check around at some of the main competitors to XPO ( yes , everyone complains about this and that ) in general , in places where it's hard to hold on to drivers XPO is behind and has terrible word-of-mouth on the streets amongst the VERY drivers that XPO wants.
There aren't any negotiations....we are a self insured entity. Corporate sets the weekly contribution that we pay for our bennies. They could reduce our contributions as easily as they could raise it at any point.
They just don't want to. The plan is for original CW folks to leave and have a new set of folks under their plans.
Notice that the formers that were offered a job were baited with sign on bonuses and pay with what they left with. They essentially would be new employees with a higher pay rate, no seniority, and bennies/vacay on the new plan. No way folks will do that unless they are desperate.

There aren't any negotiations....we are a self insured entity. Corporate sets the weekly contribution that we pay for our bennies. They could reduce our contributions as easily as they could raise it at any point.
They just don't want to. The plan is for original CW folks to leave and have a new set of folks under their plans.
Notice that the formers that were offered a job were baited with sign on bonuses and pay with what they left with. They essentially would be new employees with a higher pay rate, no seniority, and bennies/vacay on the new plan. No way folks will do that unless they are desperate.

Which is where these union drives come from. Desperation. Trying to wish things better. The company could have spent all that union busting money on the employees. Then there would never have been a drive to bust. But you can't tell rich people anything. Money is the root of all evil. More money. More evil. This place is crap. I can't figure how anyone that got out would want back. How successful can it be to spam former employees to return ?

Which is where these union drives come from. Desperation. Trying to wish things better. The company could have spent all that union busting money on the employees. Then there would never have been a drive to bust. But you can't tell rich people anything. Money is the root of all evil. More money. More evil. This place is crap. I can't figure how anyone that got out would want back. How successful can it be to spam former employees to return ?
I agree wholeheartedly

Jacobs and crew believe in sub par or just below average compensation packages across the board . From the reading I have done and comments I have heard from reliable sources close to them ,this seems to hold true .If we don’t demand more don’t expect any different. They love settlers in Geenwhich.

Last edited:
Great post, HS! PM me sometime.

Talk to a drive from XAN Allentown Pa the other day and he told me that 8 LH driver have quit in the last 2 weeks. Well it sounds to me that LTL 2.0 MXGA (make XPO great again)isn't working. Then say they are listening to the employees the only problem is they still have there fingers in their ears. It's not hard to see, Higher pay, better a alot better benifits, and give us back what you downgrade

I just
Talk to a drive from XAN Allentown Pa the other day and he told me that 8 LH driver have quit in the last 2 weeks. Well it sounds to me that LTL 2.0 MXGA (make XPO great again)isn't working. Then say they are listening to the employees the only problem is they still have there fingers in their ears. It's not hard to see, Higher pay, better a alot better benifits, and give us back what you downgrade
I just heard the same thing this morning about Xan. We be nice to here from someone out of that barn as to it’s validity and maybe why and where they went.
Xpo has definitely reached a crisis point at least in some locations. What is it going to take turn this around?

I just

I just heard the same thing this morning about Xan. We be nice to here from someone out of that barn as to it’s validity and maybe why and where they went.
Xpo has definitely reached a crisis point at least in some locations. What is it going to take turn this around?
I heard Saia, FedEx Freight, FedEx Ground