ABF | Please read this explanation of facts before you vote. It is very telling

Good post, they currently pay into their pension fund $33,220.72 a year. Canary whip out your Hewlett Packard 10B financial calculator and punch in the numbers. You would find out you would be a multi millionaire come retirement. I have to congratulate JUDY for keeping ABF in business after spotting the non union competition $33,220 in pension contributions. Canary are you aware money does not grow on trees.

You forgot to mention the fact about Judy spending $600,000 each year running that free medical clinic just for those 1,200 non-union employees in the Fort Smith area. Are you aware that ArcBest's money just doesn't grow on trees... it mostly comes from ABF?

I sure hope you don't consider this post as a means of just lashing out at you again...or heaven forbid... another vague physical threat... lol

The information posted is a copy of my 4 Red Herrings post from last week that has been shared many times in different Facebook groups.

I've been with ABF for over 28 years and was a Teamster freight driver for over 3 years before coming to ABF.

I just want to point out that 32 years ago, the contribution rate for Freight wasn't $638 per week in the New York State Teamsters Pension Fund.

No one can simply take today's figure, and throw it in a financial calculator to say what someone would have now. That's simply idiotic.

What my essay didn't mention is that we've all been bamboozled.

Since Ronald Reagan on the right and Bill Clinton on the supposedly left, the politicians of both parties have systematically dismantled any protections that were built in to the system to protect defined benefit pensions.

Too many of us refuse to admit that both parties are more alike than different, and that they have both FULLY been captured by the elite and their corporations.

It used to be that employers had to offer better benefits because of strong unions.

Big business is not stupid and can afford to play a very long game.

Part of that long game was to pay to politicians up and down the political spectrum to change laws in their favor.

Take my fund for example, the New York Teamsters Pension Fund was in fantastic shape in the not too distance past, yet was told by the federal government that they could never be over 100 percent funded and if they were, they'd have to forfeit that money.

Following the rules, my fund gave away better pension benefits to Teamsters who worked in industries and for employers who didn't pay into the fund at rates that were any where near Freight or UPS.

Along with the magic rule of never letting a defined benefit pension fund be over funded, they also had (like the 2nd part of a one-two punch) another magical rule that if the economy changed and a pension plan became underfunded because of a economic downturn, you could never-ever take back those extra (and totally undeserved) pension bumps that member's received for free.

The corporate influenced government also new enough to make it more difficult to allow pension plans to attract new employers, and like in so many other area's of our financial life, set up the parameters for a race to the bottom.

One has to ask this question.

Was ABF simply a hapless corporation that got caught up in multiple bad (according to them) pension plans, or if like so many corporations, did they actively contributed to organizations like ALEC, who basically wrote many of the anti-worked laws that have been passed in the last couple of decades?

ABF had the opportunity like so many other corporations, to pool their interest and demand simple things like Medicare for All or secured and protected pensions for not only their individual workers, but for workers of all corporations.

Our International leadership is just as guilty as our politicians. Hoffa is a corporate man and not a man of the worker.

Our system is broken.

Our system is against us.

Our system tries to divide us, by encouraging us to blame each other.

It's time that we told the system to **** OFF and that it all changes now.

How about rejecting this concessionary contract and instead of crossing our fingers that the elite will throw us a few more scraps, we ask for our fair and earned seat at the table.

How about a 5 percent union employee representation on ArcBest's board of directors.

How about bringing all the Supplements up to the level of Supplements with the best protections.

I bet many of my fellow employees in Central States have no idea that we have seniority protections for picking work assignments if you're not on a bid peddle in the NY Supplement.

The climate is changing.

Look at all the Teachers from different States who are making changes.

Think of how many contracts the car haulers rejected before they agreed to accept one.

Know that you're encouraged to fight with each other in order to make it harder to stand shoulder to shoulder in solidarity.

My final thought is going to make many upset, but I believe we have to open our eyes and ears fully, and when we do, we'll realize that in the long run, there is little difference in the majority of our political leaders, and one could honestly say that during the last election for example, that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton alike, were simply different sides of the same corrupt coin who is always in the pocket of the elite.

Not suggesting anything, don't read something that isn't there. Simply doing the calculations to show what a previously posted amount would yield if it were invested over a certain time period.

Your numbers are true,.......but once again, everyone presumes there will be no...."market adjustments".......

Defined-contriibution pensions would be great...........if someone would GUARANTEE the rate of return over a 30 year period.

I Don't believe Wall Street offers Pension Benefit Guarantee Insurance........

Without a fight we will sink to the bottom of the driver pool. I will be gone but to see all I fought for being given away is the biggest of insults. Drivers just rolling over and taking less for the wives and kids. Unheard of in years gone by.

Without a fight we will sink to the bottom of the driver pool. I will be gone but to see all I fought for being given away is the biggest of insults. Drivers just rolling over and taking less for the wives and kids. Unheard of in years gone by.
Muler, got the letter 38,999 dollars per participant, it's time to work on the big problems. Focus on the big problems.

I know it's hard for some to comprehend, but my proudest time period as a Teamster dates back to being an ABF employee on strike in 1994. Only one other current coworker was there with me, with a few others who remember the strike, but from the perspective of being allowed to work through it, because they were employed by one of the old short haul carriers.

I was prepared for that moment by Teamsters who are either long retired or passed away.

My only regret as a Teamster is that I may not have done enough to prepare those who came after me, like I had been by those who came before me.

I wish everyone had the ability to visualize what all of our lives will look like, when the current downward spiral meets the end of it's line.

I know it's hard for some to comprehend, but my proudest time period as a Teamster dates back to being an ABF employee on strike in 1994. Only one other current coworker was there with me, with a few others who remember the strike, but from the perspective of being allowed to work through it, because they were employed by one of the old short haul carriers.

I was prepared for that moment by Teamsters who are either long retired or passed away.

My only regret as a Teamster is that I may not have done enough to prepare those who came after me, like I had been by those who came before me.

I wish everyone had the ability to visualize what all of our lives will look like, when the current downward spiral meets the end of it's line.

Good post, Brother.......I was there for the ‘94 strike, too. Small terminal, but good group of guys.......

True,.......you wonder whether you’ve set the example for the younger guys so they have the courage of their own principles......

It seems, nowadays.....that companies’ easiest , most common, strategy is : “ Give us what we want or we’ll close the doors......”

And many guys Willy-Nelly give them any concession asked for..........in spite of common sense telling them the company is lying about closing the doors.......

Good post, Brother.......I was there for the ‘94 strike, too. Small terminal, but good group of guys.......

True,.......you wonder whether you’ve set the example for the younger guys so they have the courage of their own principles......

It seems, nowadays.....that companies’ easiest , most common, strategy is : “ Give us what we want or we’ll close the doors......”

And many guys Willy-Nelly give them any concession asked for..........in spite of common sense telling them the company is lying about closing the doors.......
Canary, give it a break. The reason you want a no vote is to force ABF to bail out your high dollar pension fund. You are afraid your pension is going to get cut 30%, like upstates N.Y.. Even then it will be more than a CSPF pension.

Docker, the Hostess Teamsters caved, gave back 15%.
The Hostess Bakers union said, HELL NO.
Corrupt Wall street bankers bought, bankrupt Hostess for pennies on the dollar. Not saddled with 2 billion in withdraw penalties and union benefits. they are making money hand over fist.

By the way Canary, ABF employees are paying Hostess pensions. Hostess retirees are grateful, they are sorry though, that your high dollar pension will not get a bailout.

Corrupt Wall street bankers bought, bankrupt Hostess for pennies on the dollar.

And just who do you think pilfered the CSPF? And who do you think was put in charge of watching over it? Do you know anything at all... or do you just like flapping your gums? Now... why don't you start posting some facts about that instead of just talking out your ass about how empty the barn is now after all the horses were stolen. After all... that shouldn't be so hard for you to do since you're such an expert on Animal Farm and all.

Canary, give it a break. The reason you want a no vote is to force ABF to bail out your high dollar pension fund. You are afraid your pension is going to get cut 30%, like upstates N.Y.. Even then it will be more than a CSPF pension.

Docker, the Hostess Teamsters caved, gave back 15%.
The Hostess Bakers union said, HELL NO.
Corrupt Wall street bankers bought, bankrupt Hostess for pennies on the dollar. Not saddled with 2 billion in withdraw penalties and union benefits. they are making money hand over fist.

By the way Canary, ABF employees are paying Hostess pensions. Hostess retirees are grateful, they are sorry though, that your high dollar pension will not get a bailout.

ABF employees are not paying Hostess retirees anything.........The pension fund is paying their obligations to retirees whose company was forced into bankruptcy by those aforementioned ...Corrupt Wall Street bankers.........

I would say the pension fund is living up to it's ethical obligations as best it can..........unlike some corporate entities I can think of.

You're well-practiced in presenting the popular "meme-of-the-day",..........I was an ABF employee for five years after Hostess finangled their way out of contracts and pension obligations. I never considered my...argument...to be with the Hostess employees....

Rather the raft of slimy corporate lawyers and former company executives who dissolved the company through bankruptcy courts,.......and now continue to make millions out of their...."investment"......while kicking former employees to the curb.....

Those would be the crooks,......but it seems you're celebrating their "business acumen"........by shysting the MEPFs Hostess was involved in......

What is your solution ? ABF should shed the pension and it's obligations,...offer their existing employees a "pie-in-the-sky" pension investment scheme,....with no guarantee, mind you.......and let those former employees, who actually shed blood, sweat , and tears.....working physically hard for ABF,.........just go die and wither on the vine? Is that what you're promoting?

Obligations,.....especially long-term ones,........for working people,.....are sacred. Like marriage, or family, or raising children,...or military service,.....for working people,...you stick with it through thick or thin,...because you've PROMISED.....

Apparently,....at the corporate level...(...the people who popularized the term: "Trophy Wife"..)........."obligations"...are impediments to profits.........

Souls sell pretty cheap at the corporate level.........

ABF employees are not paying Hostess retirees anything.........The pension fund is paying their obligations to retirees whose company was forced into bankruptcy by those aforementioned ...Corrupt Wall Street bankers.........

I would say the pension fund is living up to it's ethical obligations as best it can..........unlike some corporate entities I can think of.

You're well-practiced in presenting the popular "meme-of-the-day",..........I was an ABF employee for five years after Hostess finangled their way out of contracts and pension obligations. I never considered my...argument...to be with the Hostess employees....

Rather the raft of slimy corporate lawyers and former company executives who dissolved the company through bankruptcy courts,.......and now continue to make millions out of their...."investment"......while kicking former employees to the curb.....

Those would be the crooks,......but it seems you're celebrating their "business acumen"........by shysting the MEPFs Hostess was involved in......

What is your solution ? ABF should shed the pension and it's obligations,...offer their existing employees a "pie-in-the-sky" pension investment scheme,....with no guarantee, mind you.......and let those former employees, who actually shed blood, sweat , and tears.....working physically hard for ABF,.........just go die and wither on the vine? Is that what you're promoting?

Obligations,.....especially long-term ones,........for working people,.....are sacred. Like marriage, or family, or raising children,...or military service,.....for working people,...you stick with it through thick or thin,...because you've PROMISED.....

Apparently,....at the corporate level...(...the people who popularized the term: "Trophy Wife"..)........."obligations"...are impediments to profits.........

Canary as usuall your ans

canary you seen the sun today?

Canary have you ever been associated with the communist party?

Canary as usuall your ans

canary you seen the sun today?

Canary have you ever been associated with the communist party?

Yes, Comrade,........I lead the Illuminati Cadre in singing "Joe Hill" every secret underground meeting.....

As far as seeing the sun,........how would you like to see a "moon"?

I can be just as silly and juvenile as you........except I feel like taking a shower now, after wallowing around in the insult dunghill.......

Even though the Illinois State Pension Fund is public, not like our private fund, I wonder how the pension funds in this country will survive? Il is 180 Billion underfunded & their Supreme Court ruled 7 to 0 that the state promised them the money now they have to pay it. No such ruling for CS. Public or private I see bankruptcy as the future tool to get out from under a massive debit like Pensions. Detroit went thru bankruptcy & their retirees suffered from cuts. As a private fund, Congress is our only hope. I like to think for the best & prepare for the worst. von.

Without being....political.......it is VERY important how you vote.

One Party supports the Butch Lewis Act, and other pension reforms.......

The other does not.......

Precluding Party politics,......check personally with your representative......Politicians from both sides of the aisle are supporting this bill.

When I say “ One Party, or the Other”,,,,I am looking at the Party leadership and their position.

Individual politicians sometimes break away from Party leadership.

(At their peril.......sometimes.....)