possible newbie

Working over Christmas was a deal breaker. Told me the new guys had a hard time getting home for Christmas. Got young ones at the house, I don't wanna miss their early Christmas's. No need to take the job if the house ain't on fire.

I admire that Stoney, you damn sure have your priorities straight, those kids won't be young long, they make the world go round.

For Stoney and Conway. Should you guys re consider,how long is the job offer good for?

Don't know either of you, but not surprised you declined.

Working over Christmas was a deal breaker. Told me the new guys had a hard time getting home for Christmas. Got young ones at the house, I don't wanna miss their early Christmas's. No need to take the job if the house ain't on fire.
In my brief time driving for WalMart, I was told that Christmas was the only holiday that everybody was off no matter what. With young kids at home you probably still made the right choice. I'm not sure about your situation, but I don't mind being gone 2-3 days at a time, but that one or two nights home during the week makes being gone more tolerable. Walmart is a great place to drive professionally, but it isn't for everybody, myself included. If I was ready to work part time, they would be my first choice of employers.

I just called Samantha and cancelled my phone interview for Wednesday morning, I hope I didn't make a huge mistake but I figure I can always apply again down the road if I change my mind. I am a road driver for Holland and we are busy and management treats me good and my paychecks are pretty big and the insurance is good, I am worried about YRC going bankrupt sometime in the future, but I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Like I said maybe I will apply again next year.

hey stoney hows it working out so far up in hurricane,ill b reapplying prob next year,any info will b greatly appreciated,best of luck

I know this is an old thread, but 2 Christmas's and I have not had to work. They work very hard to make sure everyone is home for Christmas, no matter what day it falls on.

For me, they have also made sure I was home for Thanksgiving. They truly are all about family, and will go out of their way to make sure you can be with yours, no matter what happens. You would not believe me, if I told you some of the stories.

To the mod from ABF................ wow. Nice way to represent the moderators.

me also. I've never had to work Christmas or Thanksgiving at Wal Mart. I've always heard those stories about people having to work on Christmas but I have never known anyone that has.

I worked for them briefly over a year ago. They are great people and treated me awsome. There were plenty of former LTL and Teamster drivers working there who like it. I didn't stay because I knew that I could never get use to being gone for 4-5 nights without seeing the house. Also I do not like sleeping in the truck, yes I am spoiled, but I like a hotel room or my home. If those things don't bother you it is an excellent place to work. They don't pressure you at all and still respect their drivers like most companies did years ago. It is very easy to make $1800-$2000 a week starting out, if you want to work your hours. If they all drove day cabs or returned to DC every night or two on a schedule I would have retired from there. Some times you come back to DC every trip and other times you didn't come back to home DC until your go home day. Good luck with your decision. In my opinion you have to decide how much you want to be gone from home and how you will like working most weekends and holidays until you can get one of the program schedules like 6/3 or another similar rotating schedule.
Sounds suspicious?

For Stoney and Conway. Should you guys re consider,how long is the job offer good for?

Don't know either of you, but not surprised you declined.
We don't work over Christmas! Unless you want to! I think he may have failed his driving test??? I drove LTL for years with Reddaway, Saia, Old Dominion and, Oak Harbor. I can tell you this, I wouldn't go back to that crap for anything. Love,love, love my job at Walmart! Home 3 to 4 nights a week, making 6 figures, great equipment,Beni's, great Co workers. I don't know ANYONE who turns down this job!! You either didn't pass the road test OR,you were fired. You don't just walk away! Union or not, their is NO better job out there. Been driving 28 years. I think I know what I'm talking about!

We don't work over Christmas! Unless you want to! I think he may have failed his driving test??? I drove LTL for years with Reddaway, Saia, Old Dominion and, Oak Harbor. I can tell you this, I wouldn't go back to that crap for anything. Love,love, love my job at Walmart! Home 3 to 4 nights a week, making 6 figures, great equipment,Beni's, great Co workers. I don't know ANYONE who turns down this job!! You either didn't pass the road test OR,you were fired. You don't just walk away! Union or not, their is NO better job out there. Been driving 28 years. I think I know what I'm talking about!
First let me say I'm glad you love your job and I have nothing but good things to say about a Walmart driving job. I'm starting to think maybe you think the only people who leave a Wal-Mart job were asked to leave. It wouldn't be too difficult to find out if my story is true. Get in contact with a driver or two in Seymour or Tim the TM or Safety Dave. See if about 3 years ago he had a former Buster Brown driver turned carhauler who came to work for him for about 3 months, but quit to go back in to carhauling. If I lived in Seymour I might have stayed, because I probably could have got home a couple nights during my work week. I still wouldn't want to work weekends and holidays, so I may not have stayed. Also regarding the road test, call the safety man in Gas City, I can't remember his name but, ask him who received the highest score he had ever given(up to Jan of 2013). Maybe it was a former Buster Brown driver turned carhauler, just a guess on my part! I interviewed in Gas City first and then the job opening posted for Seymour, which is 2 hours closer to my home. I turned down the Gas City job and reapplied for the Seymour job. I too have been trucking for 28 awesome years with over 3 million safe miles. Walmart is a great job, but it was not the best job of my career. That said it probably is the best job possible for most truck drivers, just not me.

Last edited:
My understanding is that all of dispatch shuts down at like 1800 Xmas eve and everyone is home!!! I know I was home for Xmas and thanksgiving and both were scheduled workdays for me

My understanding is that all of dispatch shuts down at like 1800 Xmas eve and everyone is home!!! I know I was home for Xmas and thanksgiving and both were scheduled workdays for me
I worked Thanksgiving, my decision but when I was passing thru my DC. They had a Bob Evans Thanksgiving Dinner set up in the drivers room for us that were working . Everyone has to make up their own mind. Those who listen to someone else are probably going to make the wrong decision.!