Averitt | Possibly Coming on Board with Averitt

camarodragon

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello All,
I submitted an application to begin employment with your organization and have some questions hopefully you all can enlighten me with your insight. Im a disabled Army veteran of 13 years. My specialty in the Army was trucking, I know its a big difference in the civilian world. I do have a class A CDL, and signed up under the Averitt Salutes you program as a student driver. First of all what is to be expected from orientation? Do you get training prior to road test or no? Is it hard to get decent miles? I'm in Oak Grove Ky, on border of Clarksville TN. So I applied for the student driver position in Clarksville. I read some helpful information so far, any idea on the type of truck I will get? I know it will be hard at first trying to earn everyones respect, but I figured I might as well utilize a skill the Army gave me and get back to providing for my family. Is the medical benefits as good as describe? I have a 3 year old son with type 1 diabetes so thats a real important factor to me. I know alot of recruiters talk a good game of bs so I want to get it straight from the people I will be working with. Do yo get stuck in detention a lot? If so is detention pay decent? Hazmat does Averitt provide training for that or something you have to find on your own? How much are the uniforms? I look forward to any insight you all have, and thank you for your time.

I can't answer anyone if your questions here as I work for ABF. I just wanted to say thank you for you service, and good luck with Averitt.

You came to the right place. There a few Averitt drivers that can help you.

Welcome Camarodragon

Orientation lasts 3 days they will give you a road test then pair you up with a trainer don't know how long you wil be out with him I guess depends on your experience. As far as truck it's difficult to say you could get a newer one or not just the luck of the draw almost all out trucks are auto-shift newer trucks have electronic logs. Benefits are very good although I don't know what the co-pay is with a family. Not much detention I think it's $17 an hour after the first 2 hours waiting to load or unload. You have to get the hazmat endorsement on your own and pay for a back ground check which was $80 last time I did mine 3 years ago. Uniform program has changed since I started but I believe it is $150 to start you may be reimbursed after your first full year but check with them. We are given a $150 allowance every year by the company for uniforms but with shipping and taxes it doesn't come near what they expect you to have for uniforms every year.
You will be out all week and home weekends but having said that their view of weekends off may be getting home Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon. Miles can be good just depends on what area you are in etc. been over the road 25 years myself and as far as truck load companies it's near the top but just consider you will be spending the majority of your time each month in the truck...hope that helps...

Thanks 1tt1,

That info helps out, I drove automatic freightliners in the Army, spent about 5/6 years driving another 6 or so training drivers, did some combat convoy logistics patrols etc. The thing that will be big for me to get used to is HOS, I'm used to not being home from being in the Army. From what I saw on the website looked like a good company to team up with seemed like alot of good folks in the company. I applied to run out of CLK as a student driver hopefully I can get the miles to feel like a working man contributing to society again. Its been rough since being out I just want to provide for my family and make a decent sustainable living. Another question I have does the company stay on the legal side, as I noticed other companies such as Con Way push people to outlaw. While I respect everyone's need to make money I'm thinking of the long term ramifications of such practices. I just don't see how some of these companies can get away with it, leaving the drivers hanging out to dry.

The company goes in the opposite direction they insist you run legal 100% of the time. If you are on electronic logs you get 3 free warnings a month then the 4th you get written up. If you only have 3 in a month they fall off the beginning of the next month...

Thats good to hear especially when making a career out of it you don't want to have to worry about loosing your license because a company is pushing you to hard. I believe hard work pays if you do it the right way and are dedicated. Sounds like a good fit I just wish they would hurry up and approve my application. Im anxious to work got my application done they called me yesterday asking for my DD214 so hopefully not to much longer. Nervous about the road test, I just don't like tests in general. Get myself all worked up about hazmat now. Now does the company pay differently when hauling hazmat loads? I got the principles down pulled out my good ole CDL manual and studying. Getting ready to jump once I receive the call just playing the waiting game now.

Welcome to Averitt! As a retired USAF E7,this is the best move you can make. Coming to AVRT,you will not be subjected to the BS that you would encounter at the PREDATOR companies that plague our industry. Yes,you'll start out in TRUCKLOAD,but here you can move into other area's of the company,the oppurtunities are there. Our benefits program is TOPNOTCH,if you have the chance,enroll into TRICARE PRIME,as a secondary insurance. Get your HAZMAT endorsement,it's no big deal to get,but it opens up your chances of getting better loads/miles which equals a better paycheck. Living where you are,if a family issue arises that requires you to get home quick,AVRT will be able to get you home ASAP. Yes you will be assigned a OLDER truck,500-600k miles,most are in good shape,any safety issues will be corrected quickly,as we do not run UNSAFE equipment. I've been here coming up on 9years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Home time is anywhere from 34-48hrs or more,living where you do,you might be able to swing by the house from time to time. AGAIN WELCOME.

Jeepman

Thanks, unfortunately I can't enroll in Tricare Prime as I get VA benefits and didn't get the retirement just got the medical board, with a severance pay, honorable discharge and sent on my way, what a way to treat an E6. I did the Army hazmat thing when I was in, a little different same principles, but I just don't like tests, sure I can get er done though. Just need to get back on track with things. Got a year left of college, figure I will switch to online classes, and get them done while I'm at rest during HOS lol. Everything is a balancing act these days but I'm used to it, just need to get to work so I can have meaningful employment again. Just waiting for AVRT to make a decision and call me in for orientation, but I'm relentless and keep calling to check on my application so far no notes on my app yet hopefully thats a good sign. Do you all have CB's in your fleet?

Check online or ebay for hazmat tests. I have a CD with over 130 possible questions and answers. There are only 30 questions on the test.

Welcome Camarodragon

Orientation lasts 3 days they will give you a road test then pair you up with a trainer don't know how long you wil be out with him I guess depends on your experience. As far as truck it's difficult to say you could get a newer one or not just the luck of the draw almost all out trucks are auto-shift newer trucks have electronic logs. Benefits are very good although I don't know what the co-pay is with a family. Not much detention I think it's $17 an hour after the first 2 hours waiting to load or unload. You have to get the hazmat endorsement on your own and pay for a back ground check which was $80 last time I did mine 3 years ago. Uniform program has changed since I started but I believe it is $150 to start you may be reimbursed after your first full year but check with them. We are given a $150 allowance every year by the company for uniforms but with shipping and taxes it doesn't come near what they expect you to have for uniforms every year.
You will be out all week and home weekends but having said that their view of weekends off may be getting home Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon. Miles can be good just depends on what area you are in etc. been over the road 25 years myself and as far as truck load companies it's near the top but just consider you will be spending the majority of your time each month in the truck...hope that helps...

Yes welcome if you decide to come onboard. I see things from a little different perspective but 1tt1 has given a good explanation here. I wish you much luck and thanks for your service. :bowdown: You too jeepman! :bowdown:

I have a CD with over 130 possible questions and answers. There are only 30 questions on the test.
I'm in the process of studying now. I found a site with a 30 question sample test that changes slightly each time you take it. I have taken it five times and new questions pop up on each one. My plan is to continue until no more new ones show up. It seems to stay with me better than studying off of a printout like I used to.

I'm hoping I only have to take it one more time after this one.

Camarodragon, what happened? Did you get hired. I live in Cookeville and I've applied and have an interview scheduled. I talked to a bud that was a driver and FM. He said that Averitt likes ex-mil and he was pretty enthusiastic that I would be a good fit. I hope!

Status check troop!

Mitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Averitt likes ex-mil and he was pretty enthusiastic that I would be a good fit.
Yeah, a fondness for uniforms and blindly following orders is a plus.
Just kidding...a little.
I am a veteran myself but it was so long ago nobody notices. I think you will be fine. At least nobody is shooting at us.