XPO | Pre and Post Trip Inspection

Line-haul does it and don't get paid for it, city gets paid to do a pre-trip, and don't even do one..go figure..

That is funny and sad all at the same time and so very true. I see guys just hopping in there tractors and taking off day after day on there peddle routes while linehaulers are checking it once and checking it twice before they hit the gate. I think the reason city kitties don't worry about PTI so much is they know that if something happens out there help is close by. A linehauler could breakdown in the middle of know where and be stuck for hours.

"PTI is federal requirement therefore Con-way doesn't pay for doing it" I recall hearing that same line during Ann Arbor orientation many yrs ago. You should have seen the look on their faces when I asked; 'so what you're saying then is if the federal government didn't require it you wouldn't either?'

not paying a linehaul driver for a PTI but paying city drivers to do it is just another way they can put more $$$ in their greedy pockets

They have been pedaling this nonsense for years.

One example is not paying the driver for their time during a drug screen. This went for ages until they got busted for it. Yes you are about company business...must log it...and a DOT requirement but hell no the company refused to pay for your time performing the government mandated drug test.

The same asinine idiocy pervades the pre and post trip inspection requirements. It is a mandate of the DOT...so nope!!!...you won't be compensated.

Then there is the insulting idea that your inspections are part of your linehaul pay...are you kidding me??? How in the hell does compensation per mile (you know...driving time!!!) cover the inspection process. It is one or the other...can't have it both ways.

I am sure King Authur's magician will have something to say on this matter...but like everything else it will be another verbatim parroting of the company manual...and in the real world of things...useless.

Rat

not paying a linehaul driver for a PTI but paying city drivers to do it is just another way they can put more $$$ in their greedy pockets

If I could make $80,000 working in the city, I would show up 30 minutes early to pre trip off the clock.

this is an issue every LTL company has that I know of, linehaulers are on the hook for this if not done, P&D has to get rolling they are 'on the clock'

Just pretrip while hooking your set. Just takes a couple minutes to run through everything.

actually surpised you would say something like this. What if there is damage to the tractor, can you then place it on the city driver before you after you've moved it? How do you look at the brakes, drive line and slack adjusters, fifth wheel?

And if something is wrong means you have to drop the set, and go pre trip tiwce.

Just do it before you fire up the truck to go hook IMO

If you have a maintenance shop at your location please don't ASSUME that if a truck is on the "ready" line that is ok to go. Got into a truck this morning..... coolant cap was off the tank, tank was completely empty, there were 3 hose clamps on the valve cover and a few loose nuts and bolts laying in the engine compartment....also the truck was missing the green electrical cord.........i said to myself.....WTF !!!:ranting2: Had i not opened the hood on that truck, i would have gone down the road and quickly fried the engine since there was no coolant in it......

If you have a maintenance shop at your location please don't ASSUME that if a truck is on the "ready" line that is ok to go. Got into a truck this morning..... coolant cap was off the tank, tank was completely empty, there were 3 hose clamps on the valve cover and a few loose nuts and bolts laying in the engine compartment....also the truck was missing the green electrical cord.........i said to myself.....WTF !!!:ranting2: Had i not opened the hood on that truck, i would have gone down the road and quickly fried the engine since there was no coolant in it......

And Con~way would have Good Reason to Fire you had you done that Not doing a Proper Pre trip to the equipment !! Not to Mention Its Your Life On the line I would think that alone would enough reason to pre trip your truck the right Way !! I don't give a Damn Who ya **** off doing it the right way its what you was Taught to do in driving school and you should Always Protect your self and The license you earned to drive that truck and the civilians around you !!

actually surpised you would say something like this. What if there is damage to the tractor, can you then place it on the city driver before you after you've moved it? How do you look at the brakes, drive line and slack adjusters, fifth wheel?

And if something is wrong means you have to drop the set, and go pre trip tiwce.

Just do it before you fire up the truck to go hook IMO

how long does it take to do all that stuff? especially if you drive the same truck everyday. And if you do have an unfamiliar truck, then we're talking a couple minutes..wether you do it after you punch or before, it doesn't matter either way. If there is something wrong, and you have to go to the shop, then your on the clock anyways.

how long does it take to do all that stuff? especially if you drive the same truck everyday. And if you do have an unfamiliar truck, then we're talking a couple minutes..wether you do it after you punch or before, it doesn't matter either way. If there is something wrong, and you have to go to the shop, then your on the clock anyways.

A tractor is so long, it takes forever to walk around that thing.:17142: Some people just need something to gripe about.