FedEx Freight | Pre/Post Trip Inspections

Some have to be hosed out. Not sure the policy on that, but it can be necessary, if you ever inherit a garbage can unit. :nono h4h:

I have myself "hosed" out an old nastyass international that they assigned me. The truck smelled like ass and the floor was just plain disgusting with grease and dirt. First off, Internationals are the most ugly, uncomfortable POS out there but did have some balls.
Brought industrial strength de greaser, bleach, fabreeze and liquid soap for the cloth seat and took it into a wash bay.. No lie, when I was done you could eat off the floor if you chose to or sniff the seat if so desired. Tractor looked brand new inside when I was finished. I don't drive no stinky truck!!
My truck was so clean it made ya wanna slap yo momma!
Again I say, what moron is ordering tractors with cloth seats!! These are not personal tractors but tractors that are shared with other drivers, some of which aren't the cleanest dudes in the world

Take pride in your rides girls n' boys! this is your second home

Last edited:
q7dzlHr.jpg

Here is one that was missed last week. Was the bottom shoes. Should have been found doing a proper pre-trip.
Those are ABS rivets, CD.....:nono h4h:

q7dzlHr.jpg

Here is one that was missed last week. Was the bottom shoes. Should have been found doing a proper pre-trip.

Wow, those look like great studded brake pads! Sure is a nice winter upgrade. I don't see why you're complaining, driver.

I’m not looking for an atta boy or anything else with the following comment.
I do a very complete pre trip. I check suspension components, slack adjusters, brake shoes, and wheel seals along with tires and lights.
I work at a yard with a large shop and have never been questioned about getting a critical safety item repaired.

I’m not looking for an atta boy or anything else with the following comment.
I do a very complete pre trip. I check suspension components, slack adjusters, brake shoes, and wheel seals along with tires and lights.
I work at a yard with a large shop and have never been questioned about getting a critical safety item repaired.
What about them nuts? (Lug).

I check my slack adjuster all the time. I had one break in the middle of day. Trying to hold up you're pants is almost as bad as not having trailer breaks.

Those are designed to keep ice from building up on the drums. Learned that at the CRST Truck Driving School.....

Coop taught us , if you don't put brake lining under the rivets, drums don't wear out as often.

I have to agree. Even when they don't "like" the news, they've not questioned it.

Also, I think some relatively minor issues can be tolerated, for the day, BUT... Once they've been written up, I'm very unlikely to let it slide the next day. That gets into the area of total disregard for my/your safety, not to mention CSA scores...

Gate times over rule safety, if your doing a proper pre trip, hooking your set, going through your hazmat paper work, doing whats right, you'll miss your gate 95% of the time

I remember hauling my share of pups with busted doors that hated rolling. And I had to lift them from the ground to check them.

I hated the old AF Monon trailers, especially the ones with leaf springs. Let every red shirt know it, too. I'm thorough with my pretrips and found more problems with those garbage heaps than I care to remember. The front marker lights only worked maybe half the time, the placards and placard holders were usually damaged, and they were always full of rust holes.

Had one that I pulled out of TOL as my rear box. Floor loaded with about 2500lbs of freight. 5 hours later, crossing Toronto in morning traffic, the rear spring bushings gave out. Both springs hit the bottom of the trailer and snapped in half. I was not impressed. City man brought out a tailgate pup to transfer the freight and I brought that with me the rest of the way.

Had another one after that had "Dangerous When Wet" placards on it. It was raining that night and the roof of the trailer had been patched in three spots using sticky placards. I complained to the red shirt at TOL, he shrugged and said "we load what the hostlers put in the doors". From that day on, I made it my mission to make it understood to everyone that a broken or dangerous trailer filled with sealed international freight is very hard to repair because it's recorded as in transit on a government document and cannot be opened unless that document is voided and a new one sent.

TOL's response to my crusade was to setup a line of prechecked trailers for Canadian outbound. Problems were significantly reduced after that.

I remember hauling my share of pups with busted doors that hated rolling. And I had to lift them from the ground to check them.

I hated the old AF Monon trailers, especially the ones with leaf springs. Let every red shirt know it, too. I'm thorough with my pretrips and found more problems with those garbage heaps than I care to remember. The front marker lights only worked maybe half the time, the placards and placard holders were usually damaged, and they were always full of rust holes.

Had one that I pulled out of TOL as my rear box. Floor loaded with about 2500lbs of freight. 5 hours later, crossing Toronto in morning traffic, the rear spring bushings gave out. Both springs hit the bottom of the trailer and snapped in half. I was not impressed. City man brought out a tailgate pup to transfer the freight and I brought that with me the rest of the way.

Had another one after that had "Dangerous When Wet" placards on it. It was raining that night and the roof of the trailer had been patched in three spots using sticky placards. I complained to the red shirt at TOL, he shrugged and said "we load what the hostlers put in the doors". From that day on, I made it my mission to make it understood to everyone that a broken or dangerous trailer filled with sealed international freight is very hard to repair because it's recorded as in transit on a government document and cannot be opened unless that document is voided and a new one sent.

TOL's response to my crusade was to setup a line of prechecked trailers for Canadian outbound. Problems were significantly reduced after that.
So, the squeaky wheel DOES get the grease. Eventually... :1036316054:

The value of education. Even (especially?) for leadership.

Gate times over rule safety, if your doing a proper pre trip, hooking your set, going through your hazmat paper work, doing whats right, you'll miss your gate 95% of the time
Which would explain missing or deficient hazmat paperwork and gross mechanical defects showing up at meet points. “But I made my gate.”
That’s ok, got a good vendor just done the road and I get paid by the hour waiting for repairs and correct paperwork.

So, the squeaky wheel DOES get the grease. Eventually... :1036316054:

The value of education. Even (especially?) for leadership.
It took me better part of three years, but it did eventually pay off.

The big problem was that they initially accused me of always wanting new trailers, which wasn't true at all. What I wanted was trailers that didn't need a trip to the shop to discover it should have been deadlined. When I inevitably had to have a reload done, and all my paperwork reprocessed, I made sure everyone heard about it. It wasted nearly three hours of my night, and all my next-day freight was late because of it.