FedEx Freight | Pre Trips And Post Trips

silent trucker

TB Veteran
Credits
Seriously? I'm deadlining half the fleet, and management keeps telling me my co workers are professional and do their jobs. Wrong answer.

Had a driver the other day tell me he's not being paid what he's worth. I offered to fix that. He smiled. Told him I could get him reduced to minimum wage. That's what he actually earns.

I've personally deadlined so many trailers in the last 6 weeks, that management is questioning why. Took pictures of everything. They matched it to the repair orders. They're hanging their heads.

Come'on folks. Quit bitching about your wages and do the job...

Had a trailer dropped in the through line in my barn Tuesday night with a brake chamber clearly broken off the axle and was hanging almost touching the ground . I just happened to notice it next to mine , so i go check if there is a seal on it and sure enough it does , so i told dispatch about it and the trailer had to be brought back against the house and emptied out . HOW CAN ANYONE MISS THAT ??

Had a trailer dropped in the through line in my barn Tuesday night with a brake chamber clearly broken off the axle and was hanging almost touching the ground . I just happened to notice it next to mine , so i go check if there is a seal on it and sure enough it does , so i told dispatch about it and the trailer had to be brought back against the house and emptied out . HOW CAN ANYONE MISS THAT ??
When your more concerned with your cell phone, Facebook, assume everything should be ok equipment wise,and how fast a truck you will have, you don’t value your own, or someone else’s life....

We have a driver with almost 15 years of driving experience who dropped a trailer with a brake chamber hanging by the airlines. When questioned about why he left it without writing up the trailer, his response was, “I didn’t know I was supposed to bend over and look under the trailer.”

Really!!! WTF!!???!!!

It makes ya wonder where they find these guys!! :idunno:

In case anyone was wondering, no, the driver was NOT disciplined!!

I've been doing a lot of trailers lately. They've all been for tires. Uneven wear, bumps and some were just bald. I'm not taking that risk.
Have you ever noticed that you'll never see an "Express" tractor or trailer in questionable condition? Rust, broken anything, dirt, scrapes? None of that, regardless of age.

Just casual observation, as we speak about the bigger team ; ).

We have highly capable mechanics, IMHO, if drivers would just write up issues. But that would require them to actually look. Imagine that...

Have you ever noticed that you'll never see an "Express" tractor or trailer in questionable condition? Rust, broken anything, dirt, scrapes? None of that, regardless of age.

Just casual observation, as we speak about the bigger team ; ).

We have highly capable mechanics, IMHO, if drivers would just write up issues. But that would require them to actually look. Imagine that...

Off topic but speaking of express I noticed they turned up their new fleet of tractors to probably 68. They were flying by me the other night on 65.

The important question is did you make your gate time? Equipment problems be damned. Did you make your gate time?

Depends. How many times did i reset the handheld before giving up? Is there a line at dispatch when I give up and go inside to get my drop/ hook pay and dispatched out?

We at RC&Co have no problem collecting $36 an hour at the shop while getting faulty equipment repaired. Never had a gate time issue either. I just call terminal dispatcher and tell them where I’m at and won’t be making my gate.
Did have central call me one day an hour after my gate. Went like this.....
Uh, Mr Cranium, I noticed that you haven’t gated yet, is there some issue we can assist you with?
No, not really. Today is one of those days where we can make our gate or leave with the assigned trailers. You can’t have both today.
Uh, what was that, Mr Cranium? I don’t understand.

The trailers aren’t here yet......

I think some of this is leadership education regarding pre / post trips.

Leadership isn’t educationally comfortable around equipment so they are unable to provide necessary follow-up, IMO.

I knew of someone who wrote a person up for not addressing bad tires. The next day this person had a “valve” issue that caused a late gate. Following day they had an “unknown air leak” that caused a late gate. Then they had a “brake issue” the next day that caused a late gate.”

You see where I am going with this?

Leadership’s annual reviews have bid compliance as a strong metric. So yes, they want departures to be good which ultimately may lead to lesser follow-up on pre / post trips.

I could be totally wrong on my above statements though. :shrug:

One of the 20 year drivers by me hooks up and is out the gate in 7 minutes. Supervisor knows he doesn’t pretrip because he’s the one who told me how fast he’s out the gate. No one cares.
You hit the nail on the head, "noone cares." Atleast at my terminal, the supervisors have a lower moral than the drivers. They do the bare minimum to get by and get home as early as possible, heck 1/2 the time they are gone by 9 and our later gates are 10. If there's an issue you're on hold with central, just waiting for someone to pick up the phone. When you do see a supervisor, they are pretty upfront they dont care, they lost there bonus, the pay sucks, the drivers make more than they do... whatever the issue is. Our TM doesn't give a ::shit:: about anything as long as he doesn't have to do work. This attitude trickles down to the drivers... We all know unless you seriously screw up, there is no accountability. Drivers don't do pre-rrips, don't make gate, don't make their run times, some dont even work the dock at dock bids and nothing ever happens. "NO ONE CARES"

You hit the nail on the head, "noone cares." Atleast at my terminal, the supervisors have a lower moral than the drivers. They do the bare minimum to get by and get home as early as possible, heck 1/2 the time they are gone by 9 and our later gates are 10. If there's an issue you're on hold with central, just waiting for someone to pick up the phone. When you do see a supervisor, they are pretty upfront they dont care, they lost there bonus, the pay sucks, the drivers make more than they do... whatever the issue is. Our TM doesn't give a :::shit::: about anything as long as he doesn't have to do work. This attitude trickles down to the drivers... We all know unless you seriously screw up, there is no accountability. Drivers don't do pre-rrips, don't make gate, don't make their run times, some dont even work the dock at dock bids and nothing ever happens. "NO ONE CARES"
So True that's it's not funny anymore. getting to the point where it's becoming dangerous

Yea it’s gotten bad. I watch guys just hook up connect the airlines and off they go. Don’t even check the lights or the tires let alone check the brakes.
We have several drivers that do the ole hook and book with a van that is overweight and brag about it so dispatch will pat em’ the head and let them know how the company could not operate with out idiots like them.