FedEx Freight | Pre Trips And Post Trips

Ever noticed how some drivers at the meet point just get out of their tractor and unhook from the set without even doing post trip? They are always in a big hurry too. gotta go! gotta go!:shift:

If at a bare minimum you do not check lights, tires, and brakes, it is dangerous.

On a trailer, that's the only thing to check. Every night, before I go out, I check the valves on my rear trailer to make sure air is making it back there. Takes 2 seconds . I see guys dragging dollies and trailers all the time because they forget to supply air.

One of these days... there will be bar codes, in select locations, that will force a walk around in order to complete an inspection.

Wanna bet?
Bar codes in “select locations” will only ensure that the drivers walk all the way around the equipment, it still won’t make them do their jobs...it’ll be nothing more than mandated exercise by the company!!

I’m sure they will work just as well and last just as long as the equipment vectors for the handhelds.
Lol
Message from Dispatch:
Can you drive by so-and-so and see if they have a mt at their dock?
Is there a mt pup and gear in the yard of whozits?

And that's when they're going to learn. People don't understand that if that truck malfunctions and kills somebody as a result, you're on the hook because you said it was all good.
Worth knowing, YES - all inspection reports will become a matter of public record, in the event of a major accident. See the last link at the bottom. You can view every inspection, on equipment involved. So, we might want to take it seriously...

For example:
NTSB still uncertain of cause of deadly 2014 truck-bus crash involving FedEx Freight

http://www.ccjdigital.com/ntsb-stil...5-18-2015&utm_campaign=CCJ&ust_id=e5b3f91fe5&

"A 2,150-page preliminary investigation into a 2014 truck-motorcoach crash provides the trucker’s breakfast menu but not what may have caused him to cross the interstate median and collide with a bus of high school students."

The reports:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=57260&CFID=550717&CFTOKEN=16672425

Worth knowing, YES - all inspection reports will become a matter of public record, in the event of a major accident. See the last link at the bottom. You can view every inspection, on equipment involved. So, we might want to take it seriously...

For example:
NTSB still uncertain of cause of deadly 2014 truck-bus crash involving FedEx Freight

http://www.ccjdigital.com/ntsb-stil...5-18-2015&utm_campaign=CCJ&ust_id=e5b3f91fe5&

"A 2,150-page preliminary investigation into a 2014 truck-motorcoach crash provides the trucker’s breakfast menu but not what may have caused him to cross the interstate median and collide with a bus of high school students."

The reports:

http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=57260&CFID=550717&CFTOKEN=16672425
I have been retired 3 years now. About 3 years before, VCR'S were no longer required to be filled out by the driver. You still had to do the pre-trip. Since then there usually is no written record of a write up. There would need to be something very obvious to prove the driver did not do a pre-trip. I wish they had retained the mandatory VCR write up. I used to time stamp each VCR I generated. More than once did it save my bacon with management. For a while they would time us on getting out of the yard in 15 minutes or less. I became a target because I went past that time frame. I showed them my VCR'S & then the Federal DOT guideline on what to look for during a pre-trip & the expected time to do it. After a meeting with my steward who backed up my actions, they left me alone. And I always wrote on the VCR 'previous damage all units'. There was not a piece of equipment in our fleet that did not have some damage. Even scratches on the paint I would write up. They try to hang you with damage to equipment, you fight back. von

Most driver's still don't get it. You punch the button saying you pre-tripped, and then you roll down the highway and something goes wrong, someone dies, and you go to jail for vehicular manslaughter. Welcome to California. Park illegally on the side of the highway to take a nap, some drunk runs into you and gets killed, go to jail for vehicular manslaughter, welcome to California.