ABF | Pre trips

GO40

TB Legend
Credits
Had two trailers this week with bad registration both were rentals from Hale. The registration ran out 2/28/22 so this was overlooked for 3 months, they finally got the registration & they didn’t match the license plate, after a few calls to safety they said it is not legal unless the plate matches the registration. The plates were finally overnighted to us & now everything is legal. I must say dealing with safety was a very pleasant experience & I would like to thank them for all their help….

Had two trailers this week with bad registration both were rentals from Hale. The registration ran out 2/28/22 so this was overlooked for 3 months, they finally got the registration & they didn’t match the license plate, after a few calls to safety they said it is not legal unless the plate matches the registration. The plates were finally overnighted to us & now everything is legal. I must say dealing with safety was a very pleasant experience & I would like to thank them for all their help….
Good catch

That it?

Thats routine. All I did usually was walk inside the Yard Office and one of the Office Drones had the correct reg and tag that is legal for trailer, tractor or whatever.

Even back in the days of Bingo cards... takes a few moments to paper the rig over. Starting with the gaping hole in the missing headlight.

We had 4 of them with expired inspections in the yard about 3 or 4 weeks ago.....

Never mind the two doors. Its the slamming you want.

BOOM. Lets go. F the rest of that ::shit::. Takes too much time we dont have. Get going we're late already.

I never move a inch without checking everything. With a fresh tractor and trailer first day of work. I require hours to get that damn thing in order, starting with the Bingo, Permits and Tags etc. And working outwards. (After tossing the gallon jug of **** left by the previous driver and disinfecting that damn cab...)

Once I finished getting that thing 100% its "My truck" no one touches it.

There is one thing thought. It happened several times on time off someone flies into my town, gets a 50 mile taxi ride all the way to get my tractor trailer so the company can put it to work for my time off.

The last time that was done, the tractor trailer returned to me in a condition I found unacceptable with broken stuff. It needed 4 more days at the International Dealer to fix. About 3000 dollars worth of ::shit::. The previous driver broke it. Erasing any profits made that week by going through all that.

And People wonder why I become uncooperative these days...

I never move a inch without checking everything. With a fresh tractor and trailer first day of work. I require hours to get that damn thing in order, starting with the Bingo, Permits and Tags etc. And working outwards. (After tossing the gallon jug of **** left by the previous driver and disinfecting that damn cab...)

I wish this was practical in my daily work. The city driver who drives my truck in the daylight hours does a real job getting my tractor as nasty as possible while ignoring anything resembling a pre- or post-trip.

I had to put the tractor out of service one night with an unreported flat drive tire. I didn't say anything untoward about the city driver not reporting it, since it may have been a slow leak that had flattened the tire in the hours since he finished his P&D route. But the next morning when I got back to the yard, there was my out-of-service tractor hooked to a trailer ready to leave.

I went on the dock and asked him if he intended to drive that tractor on his route. He indicated in the affirmative.

"You know it's got a flat drive tire, right?"

He did not. Because he didn't even thump a single tire or roll the hood. No pre-trip whatsoever.

I was nice enough not to report him to management that time. Just like I have been nice enough not to report all the half-empty drink containers and boxes of candy, or all the grease-blackened cleaning rags I've thrown away from cleaning the steering wheel, door handles, and control knobs and switches in the cab every single day. I'm supposed to transfer to a different tractor on our next bid, and I'm hoping he doesn't follow me into my new-old truck.

There is one thing thought. It happened several times on time off someone flies into my town, gets a 50 mile taxi ride all the way to get my tractor trailer so the company can put it to work for my time off.

The last time that was done, the tractor trailer returned to me in a condition I found unacceptable with broken stuff. It needed 4 more days at the International Dealer to fix. About 3000 dollars worth of ****. The previous driver broke it. Erasing any profits made that week by going through all that.

And People wonder why I become uncooperative these days...
The big difference between my tractor and yours is I never had a (My Truck)
I used it for 391 miles, after that I may never see it again for a year.
If something didn't work, it was repaired or they let me use one of their other trucks.
I had a lot of other drivers help me wear out that truck and it was replaced.
I guess I was lucky and never had a (My Truck)

I wish this was practical in my daily work. The city driver who drives my truck in the daylight hours does a real job getting my tractor as nasty as possible while ignoring anything resembling a pre- or post-trip.

I had to put the tractor out of service one night with an unreported flat drive tire. I didn't say anything untoward about the city driver not reporting it, since it may have been a slow leak that had flattened the tire in the hours since he finished his P&D route. But the next morning when I got back to the yard, there was my out-of-service tractor hooked to a trailer ready to leave.

I went on the dock and asked him if he intended to drive that tractor on his route. He indicated in the affirmative.

He did not. Because he didn't even thump a single tire or roll the hood. No pre-trip whatsoever.

I was nice enough not to report him to management that time. Just like I have been nice enough not to report all the half-empty drink containers and boxes of candy, or all the grease-blackened cleaning rags I've thrown away from cleaning the steering wheel, door handles, and control knobs and switches in the cab every single day. I'm supposed to transfer to a different tractor on our next bid, and I'm hoping he doesn't follow me into my new-old truck.
90% of our trucks were put on the ready line clean.
I'm not saying you didn't get a little grease on
the steering wheel from switchers not removing their gloves, but most were cleaned by service isle.

Maybe it isn't clean because his run was busy, he hadn't pi*sed in five hours and he had to run to the bathroom....have some compassion...lmao

Thats a problem that needs solving then.

If all drivers in a yard, big or small has been assigned one specific tractor that stays put until driven again by that specific driver and is discovered to have a flat drive or busted steering or whatever that driver is the problem. Not the entire driver roster who are now suspect because no one reports anyone.

The future computer and engineering stuff will just make the situation worse really fast.

Maybe it isn't clean because his run was busy, he hadn't pi*sed in five hours and he had to run to the bathroom....have some compassion...lmao
The guy apparently never finishes a drink, judging from the number of times I've removed half-empty drink cups and soda bottles from the cab at the start of my shift. Regardless, he could do as most of us road drivers do: Pull in and go to the bathroom, then drop your trailer and clean out the cab.

Cabs dont get cleaned out much.

Once when getting the tractor, and once after quitting or fired. In between? That laundry bag in the passenger seat gets bigger every day and more smelly.

I had a VP of FFE lean into our drivers window going over a Transmission (Auto) buffer failure in spring of 2000 in Fort Worth one day. Pending a tow back to yard. He sees our laundry piled up there for 5 days in the pax seat.

We never stopped to do antyhing. Always going at a whim of dispatch. It also destroyed the birthday party that afternoon the VP was going to have at home.

He issued orders to Dispatch to have us sit for a minimum of 12 hours every 7th day with engine off to prevent any further transmission bricking and to give us the time we required to maintain sanitation and hygene.

That they were able to do and quality of life improved immensely. However despite running 6000+ miles every 6 days for weeks that summer we quit because paychecks were 0.00 We actually never were able to claim that pay. Something about 7000 dollars out the window and the associated withholding as well. Let the IRS fight them over that.

There was no point if they cannot get their ::shit:: together in billing and payroll.

I drove a few city tractors while I was at ABF. A couple of them were SHOCKING. ::shit:: piled practically up to the air vents.

At the new company, we are paid to wash the tractors, given a bit of time to clean the interior...my tractors have all been quite neat.

If you're going to pay for it, I'm gonna do it, and well.