ABF | Pre trips

I drove a few city tractors while I was at ABF. A couple of them were SHOCKING. **** piled practically up to the air vents.

At the new company, we are paid to wash the tractors, given a bit of time to clean the interior...my tractors have all been quite neat.

If you're going to pay for it, I'm gonna do it, and well.
We had a few guys like that. Biggest problem was junior guys using assigned tractors & leaving garbage, straps ect. When that happens most of us just throw it in the yard so they could see it, seemed to work it don't seem to happen anymore....

We had a few guys like that. Biggest problem was junior guys using assigned tractors & leaving garbage, straps ect. When that happens most of us just throw it in the yard so they could see it, seemed to work it don't seem to happen anymore....
When getting into a tractor filled with trash, I often wondered what their homes looked like. Then when reality TV and live cop shows etc started popping up I had my answer. Just the way I thought they lived.

I wish this was practical in my daily work. The city driver who drives my truck in the daylight hours does a real job getting my tractor as nasty as possible while ignoring anything resembling a pre- or post-trip.

I had to put the tractor out of service one night with an unreported flat drive tire. I didn't say anything untoward about the city driver not reporting it, since it may have been a slow leak that had flattened the tire in the hours since he finished his P&D route. But the next morning when I got back to the yard, there was my out-of-service tractor hooked to a trailer ready to leave.

I went on the dock and asked him if he intended to drive that tractor on his route. He indicated in the affirmative.

"You know it's got a flat drive tire, right?"

He did not. Because he didn't even thump a single tire or roll the hood. No pre-trip whatsoever.

I was nice enough not to report him to management that time. Just like I have been nice enough not to report all the half-empty drink containers and boxes of candy, or all the grease-blackened cleaning rags I've thrown away from cleaning the steering wheel, door handles, and control knobs and switches in the cab every single day. I'm supposed to transfer to a different tractor on our next bid, and I'm hoping he doesn't follow me into my new-old truck.
i clean and sanitize my assigned tractor everyday . a 400lb slob drives it at night. i've complained about him before. no one gives a sh**. so i take longer each day. it's love bug season in florida ,so i make sure he gets a windshield full of bugs for his night trip.

i clean and sanitize my assigned tractor everyday . a 400lb slob drives it at night. i've complained about him before. no one gives a sh**. so i take longer each day. it's love bug season in florida ,so i make sure he gets a windshield full of bugs for his night trip.
When I get in a pig sty i drag all the trash in put it by operations desk let ,yuckthem deal with it,funny thing is it's usually sitting there at the end of the day

Never mind the two doors. Its the slamming you want.

BOOM. Lets go. F the rest of that ****. Takes too much time we dont have. Get going we're late already.
we had a SLC driver years ago that thought it was funny to cut pictures out of Hustler and slip them in the permit book in front of the permits we were using regularly in PNW. It was really embarrassing to open the permit book in front of a female weigh master. We roared with laughter when we heard it happened to someone else, but not so funny when it happened to you. They looked at you like some kind of pervert. There was a cute little blonde weighmaster that worked at the Cascade Locks POE in Oregon and Davey Fales about swallowed his tongue apologizing to her one night. Sure got us checking our permits before we left the yard though... God it was fun back then...

Last edited:
I was running for a grocery company back in the eighties. we had one girl driver. well back then we all had pictures hanging in our assigned tractors. so, when she finally got one assigned, up went playboy pics. Now a good friend's was in the shop and they gave him Her's. I was going to the same store with the reefer and got there ahead of him. I told the receiver who had the dry van and asked him if he knew that Bob was gay. he said no way , I said he is, just climb up and look into the cab. well I don't have to tell you about the belly laugh we had after we calmed him down lol

kind of hurt when she quit waving to us when we all crossed the scales after that one...
it was kind of like searching for the unabomber. We never found out who it was and no one ever owned up to it, but it just ended after a while. I don't know if he got religion or just ran out of pictures...

Visitor here. Our company policy is don’t leave anything in tractors. Any garbage left by city, dropped out the door on the ground. Amazing hourly guys “don’t have time”.