Guest viewing is limited
  • Truckingboards is a MEMBERS ONLY Private Forum that first got it's start in 1999, Membership is 100% Free, We have Over 40k Members and approaching 2 million posts that date back to the early 2000's.Registration is easy and fast. We specialize in LTL trucking. Get off those Facebook Groups and come to a place where your identity will be unknown unless you tell someone. Truckingboards has a mobile app that works for Android you can install from your mobile browser. Sorry Apple Users, I know nothing about them.

Click Here

For instructions on how to install the mobile app.

Pretty Dumb Options For Brand New LTL Trucks

slavenomore

US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions
Premium
I know somebody is sitting in some cushy job making way too much money and thinking they know this business and they know trucks and they are oh-so important.

If this was the case, why buy all of that stupid nonsense to surround the catwalk with on the back of the cab? Plain stupid...wasters of money putting drivers records at a way too unnecessary risk.
Yes...WE ....are supposed to be " professionals"..
But whomever decided to buy this stupidity are supposed be professional also.

We do not need 1 foot of fiberglass and another 6-8" of plastic garbage behind our cab.
We make sharp turns. Uturns to line our trucks up or do our jobs in tight yards.....and only an idiot would use that crap....we are not Smokey and the Bandit.
We are not BJ and the bear.......we work for a living in constant tight places.
We are not receiving some kind of kickbacks from Volvo or some fuel saving or green energy BS political group.
You put our records at risk for outright stupidity.
Ever guy who bends or cracks one of these piece of **** plastic and fiberglass wings or whatever you want to call them should never have the stress put on him to write up nonsense accident reports at the end of long days for something some overpaid idiot who doesn't know what they are doing has caused.
We don't need that junk on our trucks.
An extra 2' on each side to bend and crack on trailers...and another 10" of nonsense on top to crack low branches and buildings and bridges with....who the HELL needs it?
How much fuel will it save in New Penn's areas?
Not enough to make up for all of the replaced parts for the dumb decision to buy them....and not enough for the stress all the guys who might have to write them up.
Whomever bought them....they should fill out accident reports with their own name on them....for every one of the dumb parts broken...that are UNECCESSARY for our jobs in the city.
I asked our mechanic to take off that black plastic crap and if he could....take off the white fiberglass body nonsense wings too......he said he is not allowed.

Last edited:

1984Sideways

On a final dispatch, do not get anymore tomorrows.
A hour or two with a tool box took care of those annoying fairings right quick. Takes months before someone notices that tractor did not have the minor expensive details.....

HEY! DRIVER! WHERE ARE YOUR FAIRINGS!?

Dunno. Never had them things. Dont need em neither.

WOT!?

That usually is a ... initiator for a detonation that rolls through the office and higher operations staff when they realize that one tractor out there does not possess all that expensive plastic.

You dont necessarily hear me as a driver walking into the office and saying HEY DISPATCHER WHERE IS YOUR SKIRT!?

I hate to be so difficult but if you just quit sending me off road into the mountains to get loads and wrecking all that plastic to begin with...

OR having me sit two days at a meat plant burning all my fuel waiting on the mexicans to chop your ****....

Triplex

Experienced stalker
I know somebody is sitting in some cushy job making way too much money and thinking they know this business and they know trucks and they are oh-so important.

If this was the case, why buy all of that stupid nonsense to surround the catwalk with on the back of the cab? Plain stupid...wasters of money putting drivers records at a way too unnecessary risk.

We do not need 1 foot of fiberglass and another 6-8" of plastic garbage behind our cab.
We make sharp turns. Uturns to line our trucks up or do our jobs in tight yards.....and only an idiot would use that crap....we are not Smokey and the Bandit.
We are not receiving some kind of kickbacks from Volvo or some fuel saving or green energy BS political group.
Ever guy who bends or cracks one of these piece of **** plastic and fiberglass wings or whatever you want to call them should never have the stress put on him to write up nonsense accident reports at the end of long days for something some overpaid idiot who doesn't know what they are doing has caused.
An extra 2' on each side to bend and crack on trailers...and another 10" of nonsense on top to crack low branches and buildings and bridges with....who the HELL needs it?
Not enough to make up for all of the replaced parts for the dumb decision to buy them....and not enough for the stress all the guys who might have to write them up.
Whomever bought them....they should fill out accident reports with their own name on them....for every one of the dumb parts broken...that are UNECCESSARY for our jobs in the city.
I asked our mechanic to take off that black plastic crap and if he could....take off the white fiberglass body nonsense wings too......he said he is not allowed.
So what did you hit? :438:

GIALLO

Come on!!!!!
Stop the whining!!!! :crybaby:
It's comes standard for linehaul use.
Just get another tractor.
There are better discussions to be reading here in trucking boards.
I thought I have heard most from city drivers whining.... I guess not.
Hey brother,
Do you like stick shifting or do you like push button shifting?
:shift: :chairshot:

slavenomore

Premium
So what did you hit? :438:
They get right up against the trailer way too quick. Mine are fine.
But I can see something that is gonna be nothing but a problem in our area and cause too many accident reports. And make brand new trucks look like junk too fast.
Total waste of money and unwise decision.
We have no need whatsoever for all of that garbage.
We have brand new guys going thru CDL training.....if they have to write them up.....theyll need to replace them all in 6 months if they run the city at all.

slavenomore

Premium
Come on!!!!!
Stop the whining!!!! :crybaby:
It's comes standard for linehaul use.
Just get another tractor.
There are better discussions to be reading here in trucking boards.
I thought I have heard most from city drivers whining.... I guess not.
Hey brother,
Do you like stick shifting or do you like push button shifting?
:shift: :chairshot:
Go get 'em supertrucker.
I don't care.
I like heat and AC....and the new trucks have great phone jacks....thats all I care about.
And I don't need anymore aggravation...and thinking about more and more dumb stuff.....isnt gonna make me anymore money.

1984Sideways

We can seperate the men from the boys right now by offering a old 59 white for city work. At 10 degrees in storm conditions. And a weed burner to boot. Whiners sent home.

Keepingon

I got a new Volvo for the city with ALL the ferrins and it’s a little tight getting onto the catwalk to do lines but after 24 years of driving complete garbage I’m ok with it.

the Only complaint would be the collision alert is way to sensitive for the city and should have a volume adjustment on it.

Haven’t had a problem yet but If I can’t get into a stop without damaging the truck, I don’t go into the stop.

slavenomore

Premium
They're gonna look like garbage in no time.
And it's gonna cost guys stress and aggravation and the company money.
It would be an OK truck without the nonsense on there. Total waste of money and lack of thinking behind the buy by guys who will never have to fill out accident reports for it.
If I was buying the truck that garbage would come off. Waste.

1984Sideways

There is one modern tractor I fell in love with despite everything and that was the mid 90's mack C series L or H I forget which. One is a sleeper and the other is a Day cab. Nice little 350 on them with short transmissions. I eventually had both of them for local city type flatbed work in addition to regional sleeper time and they did great. But thats about the limit of what I would want in a modern truck. Everything else after to today is a bunch of unnecessary Crap.

The daycab in particular has my love forever. You can come off the steepest mountains on glare ice empty like a sure footed mountain goat. No problem. Barefoot too.

slavenomore

Premium
How about the fact you can’t pull yourself up between the trailers to hook the airlines easy, or even wash your back window, these people have no clue. I’m surprised no one has missed the little step on these tractors and fallin on there backs. The dam plastic should be removed for safety reasons.
I thought you were giving me a Native American Greeting.....How.

But yes....my point is we are in a company who needs to come back and demand money and changes from us whenever they want....and we usually give it to them. I stand guilty of that.
But they pay people to use large amounts of money to buy stuff which also throws the stress and blame on us.
It's got to be cheaper without all of the crap back there....yet they still buy it.
And whose job gets rougher?
Ours of course.
And who has to write up accident reports and take the blame and put our jobs at risk?
We do.

And then we'll hear....you can't tell us how to run our business.
It's just a pathetic mentality and relationship.
I think the union should tell them..."if you want to buy something so stupid...then we are not writing up accident reports nor taking the blame"....blame the guys who decided it was great to buy trucks with that nonsense on them.
Total thoughtless waste....guys get paid to think.......yet they don't think.....and still get paid.

We don't all go to big DC'S all dday....small old towns are not extinct....and their 200 year old properties, docks and small routes to get there are not either.

Triplex

Experienced stalker
I thought you were giving me a Native American Greeting.....How.

But yes....my point is we are in a company who needs to come back and demand money and changes from us whenever they want....and we usually give it to them. I stand guilty of that.
But they pay people to use large amounts of money to buy stuff which also throws the stress and blame on us.
It's got to be cheaper without all of the crap back there....yet they still buy it.
And whose job gets rougher?
Ours of course.
And who has to write up accident reports and take the blame and put our jobs at risk?
We do.

And then we'll hear....you can't tell us how to run our business.
It's just a pathetic mentality and relationship.
I think the union should tell them..."if you want to buy something so stupid...then we are not writing up accident reports nor taking the blame"....blame the guys who decided it was great to buy trucks with that nonsense on them.
Total thoughtless waste....guys get paid to think.......yet they don't think.....and still get paid.
Did you guys ever think of backing under the trailer at a little bit of an angle so you have more room on the driver's side to get to the air line connections? Those of us on the road running tractors with airfoils for many years figured that out a very long time ago. :duh:

Or how about this, backing only part way under the trailer so you leave lots of room behind the tractor and hooking your lines before you back completely under and hit the pin. That's actually the way we were supposed to do it years ago before Maxi brakes were around.

slavenomore

Premium
Did you guys ever think of backing under the trailer at a little bit of an angle so you have more room on the driver's side to get to the air line connections? Those of us on the road running tractors with airfoils for many years figured that out a very long time ago. :duh:

Or how about this, backing only part way under the trailer so you leave lots of room behind the tractor and hooking your lines before you back completely under and hit the pin. That's actually the way we were supposed to do it years ago before Maxi brakes were around.
I have no problem with the catwalk nor connecting airlines. The catwalk is nice and wide.
But surrounded by ******** which will get broken and guys will be written up for....for no reason that makes any sense. We use them for city and road....not just road.
I'd rather have a jockey truck in the city than dumb stuff which in some way makes people think it is "professional" stuff. Some guys are all about safety and " professionalism"...and knowing every aspect of trucks and the business.
Imo the pay didn't go up with that mentality.
It went down.
To others it's a job and we want to do the job as fast and efficiently as possible and don't care about anything those " professional" guys are about.
Get the friggin truck loaded. Get it unloaded and loaded again and go home.....without any nonsense...which brings stress and risk to us, but transfers profits to others. That doesn't mean anybody wants to run into people or stuff...but we don't need any more thinking than is already required.

Last edited:

1984Sideways

I used to enrage one of the company suits when he handed me a modern truck of the time. I handed it back and said nope. I'll keep my old one.

WTF Driver, this is the best money can buy whats WRONG with you.

Oh ho. now we are talking...

C'mere lets talk about that tractor. ...

You have this, you have that you have something else etc etc point point point then tell him why we dont need it as drivers. It does not benefit the company any in the long run because its only expected to run 4 years and then disposed of. My old tractor was just over 30th year on the road.

He stomped off. They made sure to sell that old tractor for whatever they could get.

vicroy

had to be a college graduate

seabreeze

Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member
Premium

When they roadtested a new driver, if he didn't hook the airlines and set the brakes, before he coupled that was a big no-no