Estes | Pro and Cons

gearshifter

TB Lurker
Credits
For all you guys on both sides East and West to hash out issues other than Union. This is to keep the other thread for Union info and updates available for the people interested in so. Let's keep it civil so have at it boy's.

Combining both East and West to make one company. It sure was working much better before they changed everything. We had better service, moral, addittude, etc:bananalama:

hiyas. i am sure that what i am about to say will **** off 55% of evreyone but ya know... the truth hurts:

when estes bought GI, they NEVER should have made it estes west. also estes should have let the MORONS in Cali. vote to go union and done exactly what Con-Way would have done :D

there are pros and cons to everything. estes buying GI:
pros:
dont have to worry about going bankrupt and being up for sale for years and being bought buy 3 differnt companys. BETTER pay, last time i checked EVERYONE at estes west got a pay raise. better equipment, no more Macks for me :D and if you still drive 1 i am sorry. better vacation pay, yes the time it takes to get vacation sucks but the pay is better. company senoirity, which means i could have went ANYWHERE in the U.S.A and when a new run opened up i could have used my seniority in the company to bid. Not ever having to give up my run, EVER, unless it was cancelled. also never being bumped off my run for a night because a more senior driver didnt run that night. there are a bunch more but the most important 1 i think is this. haveing an open door policy to someone that can change things and KNOWS what it is like to DRIVE line haul, Drive P&D, and Work the dock and every job in between Estes has that GI DOESNT.

cons:
vacation time 1 week after a year 2 after like 5 years 3 after i thinks its like 9 and 4 after 18 years, yea it sucks but they pay 1200 a week verses the 40 hours that GI did that = 800 a week at GI. well there has to be more but i am drawinga blank other than this 1.
HAVING to listen to all the dumb stupid people in Cali that whine and cry and threatin things and get what they want, i stress what THEY want, NOT what is best for the company, nor what i want.

summary:
THIS AINT GI IT IS ESTES!! DEAL WITH IT OR LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you buy a car from someone do you expect that person to tell you how to drive it??? if you buy a house are you gunna let the guy you bought it from tell you how to live in it and where to put the furiture??? if you buy a company are you gunna let the previous owners tell you how to run it? you shouldnt!!!!!! cuse the way i see it GI was bought BECAUSE its policys and the way they ran there company was NOT the way to make money in this world. therefore GI was going TITS UP and Estes being a major stock holder was TIRED of LOSING money on this dead horse a bought the company to run it like it should be, HOWEVER there are to many dumb people in the OLD gi that dont want to look to the future JUST the past. well guess what the future is here GET ON BOARD OR GET RAN OVER!!!!
bye for now

JimBob said:
hiyas. i am sure that what i am about to say will **** off 55% of evreyone but ya know... the truth hurts:

when estes bought GI, they NEVER should have made it estes west. also estes should have let the MORONS in Cali. vote to go union and done exactly what Con-Way would have done :D

there are pros and cons to everything. estes buying GI:
pros:
dont have to worry about going bankrupt and being up for sale for years and being bought buy 3 differnt companys. BETTER pay, last time i checked EVERYONE at estes west got a pay raise. better equipment, no more Macks for me :D and if you still drive 1 i am sorry. better vacation pay, yes the time it takes to get vacation sucks but the pay is better. company senoirity, which means i could have went ANYWHERE in the U.S.A and when a new run opened up i could have used my seniority in the company to bid. Not ever having to give up my run, EVER, unless it was cancelled. also never being bumped off my run for a night because a more senior driver didnt run that night. there are a bunch more but the most important 1 i think is this. haveing an open door policy to someone that can change things and KNOWS what it is like to DRIVE line haul, Drive P&D, and Work the dock and every job in between Estes has that GI DOESNT.

cons:
vacation time 1 week after a year 2 after like 5 years 3 after i thinks its like 9 and 4 after 18 years, yea it sucks but they pay 1200 a week verses the 40 hours that GI did that = 800 a week at GI. well there has to be more but i am drawinga blank other than this 1.
HAVING to listen to all the dumb stupid people in Cali that whine and cry and threatin things and get what they want, i stress what THEY want, NOT what is best for the company, nor what i want.

summary:
THIS AINT GI IT IS ESTES!! DEAL WITH IT OR LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you buy a car from someone do you expect that person to tell you how to drive it??? if you buy a house are you gunna let the guy you bought it from tell you how to live in it and where to put the furiture??? if you buy a company are you gunna let the previous owners tell you how to run it? you shouldnt!!!!!! cuse the way i see it GI was bought BECAUSE its policys and the way they ran there company was NOT the way to make money in this world. therefore GI was going TITS UP and Estes being a major stock holder was TIRED of LOSING money on this dead horse a bought the company to run it like it should be, HOWEVER there are to many dumb people in the OLD gi that dont want to look to the future JUST the past. well guess what the future is here GET ON BOARD OR GET RAN OVER!!!!
bye for now
Blah Blah Blah. Hey Robey, learn to spell and express yourself better. All you did is spew hate and discontent. Another one to ignore I guess. Same ol' crap. Read the boards then come up with something noteworthy to talk about.

no all i did was express my true feeling and "spew" the truth. guess the truth really does hurt doesn't it? i figured something a little more witty would come about from this post but, it is still early:razz:

Oh crap here I go again maybe this will get me a lifetime ban on the forums for pissing of the malcontents . Give it a rest MT helmet . GI aint coming back. JimBob is spot on with his comments. It is Robeys company now and maybe if things are so bad I hear JB is hiring. Nothing follows...

glad to hear that there is other people on this board that acually can understand what it mean to "buy" a company. thank you roadpig :D

roadpig said:
Oh crap here I go again maybe this will get me a lifetime ban on the forums for pissing of the malcontents . Give it a rest MT helmet . GI aint coming back. JimBob is spot on with his comments. It is Robeys company now and maybe if things are so bad I hear JB is hiring. Nothing follows...

"GI ain't comming back" This is true, sad, but true.

I don't think you guys understand what these guys are going through or are trying to accomplish. It's sad that you don't see they want a better future for themselves and their fellow employees. You guys that have been with Estes have your reasons for your opinions and your loyal to your company, but where would you draw the line? The line between company loyalty and a better future for yourselves? Have something taken away and changes/cuts at the employee level for the better of the company and see where the line is then. (remember upper management more than likely won't take any cuts for the better of the company. It's always cuts in operations and at the employee level. Believe me, I've been in management, when the books are not looking so hot Uppers start playing the blame game.

Give these guys a break, their only looking out for themselves and their fellow employees. Loyalty only goes so far, when it comes down to it your just a number. Nothing more, nothing less.

P.S.

Jimbob, it sounds like you have more of an issue with "people from cali", "morons from cali" than you do with the Estes West guys.

You have alot to learn about people.

just so you know i was a GI employee before they were bought by estes. the people from cali that i have a problem with is the moron that are "only" looking out for themselves. as a former GI employee and now an Estes employee, yes somethings that estes has for policys i dont like, however, they are things i can live with. i look out for the company because without the company. no job!! thats pretty easy to see. and yes without drivers no company. yea i get it BUT, Estes has been around for 75 years and they are doing pretty darn well in the money area. i can't say that was the case with GI, cuse if they were doing things right, they wound not have been sold, how many times??? does everyone see my point? yes GI was a good company to work for, and if people would let GI die, like it is, and shut up and look to the future they just might find out Estes is a good company to work for. and that goes back to the Cali morons, they want to work for GI and i have a solution for them, go work for GI, you can find them at the umemployment office. as for management, i see a very short employment for the Uppers in Estes West because "they" are the reason for all this crap going on, because they keep coddling the drivers and sympatizing with their cause, cuse they too want to work for GI, see above..., instead of saying Estes bought GI i am sorry that you dont like it, but if you can't live with it there is the door.
i think thats enough said for tonight. thanx for listening and everyone keep it safe out there

JimBob said:
just so you know i was a GI employee before they were bought by estes. the people from cali that i have a problem with is the moron that are "only" looking out for themselves. as a former GI employee and now an Estes employee, yes somethings that estes has for policys i dont like, however, they are things i can live with. i look out for the company because without the company. no job!! thats pretty easy to see. and yes without drivers no company. yea i get it BUT, Estes has been around for 75 years and they are doing pretty darn well in the money area. i can't say that was the case with GI, cuse if they were doing things right, they wound not have been sold, how many times??? does everyone see my point? yes GI was a good company to work for, and if people would let GI die, like it is, and shut up and look to the future they just might find out Estes is a good company to work for. and that goes back to the Cali morons, they want to work for GI and i have a solution for them, go work for GI, you can find them at the umemployment office. as for management, i see a very short employment for the Uppers in Estes West because "they" are the reason for all this crap going on, because they keep coddling the drivers and sympatizing with their cause, cuse they too want to work for GI, see above..., instead of saying Estes bought GI i am sorry that you dont like it, but if you can't live with it there is the door.
i think thats enough said for tonight. thanx for listening and everyone keep it safe out there

Jimbob, just because a company is sold does not necessarily mean that the reason is that it wasn't doing very well. In fact in most cases it is the opposite.

"they keep coddling the drivers,and sympathize with their cause"

If Management is indeed doing this, Wouldn't you think they might have a legitamate gripe?

What crap is going on? How is an understanding Management a problem for you?

Jimbob, I understand what your saying for the most part, but I still think what your fellow ex-GI employees are right and should try to get back what has been taken and prevent the same in the future. Your happy with the intergration and that's great. There's obviosly a difference in opinion, and it should be respected. JMO

Also, the others might be more receptive to your side if there were less insults.

i agree with less insults would be better and for that i am sorry i will try to not use them :D

i do have 1 question can you please tell me what has been taken from the drivers that to ex GI drivers want back so badly?

JimBob said:
i agree with less insults would be better and for that i am sorry i will try to not use them :D

i do have 1 question can you please tell me what has been taken from the drivers that to ex GI drivers want back so badly?

For one, the pension was frozen a few years back.

Another was fuel, shop, and delay was figured into the cpm, if this is true they might as well have said they were getting rid of it. I'm having the same issue with delay where I'm at, I think if your on the clock, (if your a line driver, all time after your co start time) you should be paid for that time. And not at a discounted rate either.

jimbob,thats good tell them like it is!!!!!!!!
I have been with estes for 7 years & am very content,& happy. Would like to welcome the estes west drivers on board. As for the cry baby's still here & wining,......QUIT THEN....... there are many other driving jobs out there. Stay safe out there estes west :)

the pention being frozen was not Estses fault

fuel, shop, and delay times:

fuel you have got to be kidding me 15 min of pay? thats $5 to me.

shop time take another truck if you are in that big of a hurry

delay times/ breakdown time this 1 is touchy:D delay time talk to your TM and tell him to get on the phone and get the guy that is making you wait to get his butt in the seat and stop worry about your dang,stupid 2 15 min breaks and your , well deserving ( sarcasm), 30 lunch break. DRIVE the truck dont just sit in it.

breakdown it happens fact of life if it is your fault then, no dang way you should be paid for it :D the best way to combat breakdowns is to make sure the mechanics at the shops are doning thier jobs, check those grease zerks and such if the mechanics are slackin' tell someone who cares AKA head of maintenance in Richmond. trust me HE CARES

JimBob said:

delay times/ breakdown time this 1 is touchy:D delay time talk to your TM and tell him to get on the phone and get the guy that is making you wait to get his butt in the seat and stop worry about your dang,stupid 2 15 min breaks and your , well deserving ( sarcasm), 30 lunch break. DRIVE the truck dont just sit in it.

breakdown it happens fact of life if it is your fault then, no dang way you should be paid for it :D the best way to combat breakdowns is to make sure the mechanics at the shops are doning thier jobs, check those grease zerks and such if the mechanics are slackin' tell someone who cares AKA head of maintenance in Richmond. trust me HE CARES
You know, we started this board to vent frustrations, look for remedies and maybe bond with Estes east. I tried. The most complaining and sarcasm has come from those of you back east. I tried to get some sense of decorum out of this. Oh well, it was worth a try. I guess the one thing to quit is wasting my time here. Adios and enjoy yourselves

JimBob said:

First of all I never said the frozen pension was Estes' fault, just used this as an example of losses that need to be curbed. It all adds up and to say that West is whining when It comes to retirement security is not being very understanding.

You get paid .25 hour to fuel still? I heard different. Your there, I'm not.

You guys can keep on about the Estes west employees, to me they are doing the smart thing. Trying to protect themselves as an employee.

Since there is no understanding here only Insults to the former GI employees, I will let you guys protect the CEO's from the west.

MT is right, this is a waste of time.
Take care.

Let's discuss the growing hazmat problem and accountability for same.I think if tm's lost % of year end bonus maybe there wouldn't be a problem huh.

i think jimbob has said if you dont like it leave enough times already. you sound like management when i have a problem...

for the most part i am happy as a east driver, but there are some key things that need fixed. i dont want to break the bank but comeon lets be fair here.

about the pension plan, you mean to tell me you are not content with estes putting in slightly more than $500 a year if you contribute 15% of your paycheck each week? IF YOU DONT LIKE IT LEAVE!!! LOLZ

you are right porkchop.with all the trucking jobs out there,there are plenty that will hire.maybe they can get one that pays 5000dollar sign on bonus so they can recoup their losses with estes.