XPO | Problem keeping alert?

Bigsqueez

TB Lurker
Credits
I was talking to a driver at the reship last night, and I want to share this with everyone.

Do you snore? do you snore loud enough that you wake others or even yourself? Do you ever wake up gasping for breath? do you wake up with a sore throat? If you answer yes to any or all of these questions, you probably have some form of sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 5 years ago, and ever since I've been using a machine (CPAP)that helps me breathe while I sleep. Since then, I no longer snore or wake up gasping for breath, and most importantly, I'm considerably more alert during my waking hours. Read this for more info: Sleep Apnea Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment on WebMD.com

sleep apnea disqualifies you from driving

If they find out you have sleep apnea
they will pull your med cert until your have it treated and then you have to get your med card yearly instread of every 2 years
treat it the machine works also they cay surgicly perform a procedure to help also
dont let the medical card doc know he will cause you alot of grief

(b)(5) Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of a respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with his/her ability to control and drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;

I was talking to a driver at the reship last night, and I want to share this with everyone.

Do you snore? do you snore loud enough that you wake others or even yourself? Do you ever wake up gasping for breath? do you wake up with a sore throat? If you answer yes to any or all of these questions, you probably have some form of sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 5 years ago, and ever since I've been using a machine (CPAP)that helps me breathe while I sleep. Since then, I no longer snore or wake up gasping for breath, and most importantly, I'm considerably more alert during my waking hours. Read this for more info: Sleep Apnea Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment on WebMD.com

What's this cpap machine? How do you use it and what does it cost?

Cpap

What's this cpap machine? How do you use it and what does it cost?

CPAP is continuous positive air pressure. The machines are small, about the size of a loaf of bread, are electonically controlled and most come with ac/dc power cords. A hose runs from the machine to a small mask that you wear over your nose anb blows air to keep your airway open while you sleep. CPAP's are available at home medical stores and are required to be prescribed by a Doctor. You usually have to go to a sleep lab and be tested so they can properly diagnose your condition and a respiratory therapist will adjust the air pressure to match your breathing pattern etc.... My machine and supplies are covered by our insurance program, less the deductible of course. If you have any more questions ask away.

If they find out you have sleep apnea
they will pull your med cert until your have it treated and then you have to get your med card yearly instread of every 2 years
treat it the machine works also they cay surgicly perform a procedure to help also
dont let the medical card doc know he will cause you alot of grief

(b)(5) Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of a respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with his/her ability to control and drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;

Even though sleep apnea does cause respiratory distress, it occurs while in a state of reduced consciousness, not while driving. FMCSA 391.41(b)(5) is specifically targeting medical conditions such as severe asthma, COPD, emphysema, lung cancer, or other conditions of diminished lung capacity that cause reduced oxygen saturation of the blood and could cause the operator to lose consciousness.