Prohector or Flat screen TV?

Stan Smith

TB Regular
Credits
I'm really considering getting a projector. Looks cheaper, takes up less room.... Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
The projection units I have seen require a fairly dark room to get a decent picture on the screen. If you have lots of light coming through windows during the day that would make it even more difficult to see a decent picture on the screen.

Projectors would be great in a room with black walls and no windows, like a basement.

The projection units I have seen require a fairly dark room to get a decent picture on the screen. If you have lots of light coming through windows during the day that would make it even more difficult to see a decent picture on the screen.

Projectors would be great in a room with black walls and no windows, like a basement.

I just read about that too. Kinda stinks.

I just read about that too. Kinda stinks.

I think that the projectors have a place, but in our living room may not be one of them.

When I was building my house the neighbor would come over every day or two and we would walk around and look at stuff. After the basement was done and the main floor and walls up, he came over. As we walked wound the basement drinking a beer we got around to the back side behind the stairway. The basement is divided into three "rooms" about 18 x 32 feet, by the framing that supports the main floor. The area around and behind the stairs is a dead end.

As my neighbor walked into that part of the basement and shined the flashlight into it, he said, "Movie theater!".

And that is what I plan for that area.

I think a projector would be perfect for that, and either paint the screen with paint made for screens, or have a screen that comes down from the ceiling. Also I will probably finish the walls with dark fabric, black or dark brown or gray, and put acoustical tiles on the ceiling.

Add some of those overstuffed leather chairs, a killer sound system, and then invite people over to watch movies.

And sell popcorn and beer.

I thought you had a nice dark room for your 'surfing'???

I think that the projectors have a place, but in our living room may not be one of them.

When I was building my house the neighbor would come over every day or two and we would walk around and look at stuff. After the basement was done and the main floor and walls up, he came over. As we walked wound the basement drinking a beer we got around to the back side behind the stairway. The basement is divided into three "rooms" about 18 x 32 feet, by the framing that supports the main floor. The area around and behind the stairs is a dead end.

As my neighbor walked into that part of the basement and shined the flashlight into it, he said, "Movie theater!".

And that is what I plan for that area.

I think a projector would be perfect for that, and either paint the screen with paint made for screens, or have a screen that comes down from the ceiling. Also I will probably finish the walls with dark fabric, black or dark brown or gray, and put acoustical tiles on the ceiling.

Add some of those overstuffed leather chairs, a killer sound system, and then invite people over to watch movies.

And sell popcorn and beer.

GIVE them LOTS of over salted popcorn, and sell the beer for 9.50 + tax each. Oh yeah. Beer tax is .50 now.