TForce | promotion???

laid off 90%

TB Regular
Credits
i have a friend who was informed as many of us were, that if we obtain a cdl, that we would be able to become drivers.
so last year my friend started to take thet tests, and finally did get a cdl. about 6 months ago he applied for a driver position, he was told there wasn't an opening and that he would be first on the list. a couple of weeks ago he was told they are hireing drivers and he would have to go through the process. he took the D.O.T physical, passed. took the road test. passed. as far as we knew he was going to be promoted to a driver any day. last week, the TM told him that they couldn't make him because he doesn't have 1 year experiance in driveing, and that's what UPS requires. he has been with overnite/UPSfrieght for 11 years and is PISSED off. he has spotted for over 5 years, and i have heard in the past that spotting experiance counts toward driveing experiance.

was wondering if this is going on everywhere or just local? has anyone heard that our dock can no longer become drivers?

so my understanding is casuals can't become full-time... dock can't drive.... and here city drivers can't become road drivers..... due to 2 locals, can't switch unions

what happen to UPS takeing pride in hireing from within? but then again this isn't UPS its UPS FRIEGHT.

The last four guys on our list (including me) all went through the same steps that your friend did and we all got hired as full time p&d. They babied us in but we did get hired as promised. We all spotted before and we all did ride-a-longs with drivers in the city and the road just to get used to it. His TM is being a dick if you ask me.

You seriously think that by riding around in a jockey wagon a few times you can drive on the highway?Even Swift drivers get more training than that.I've been a road driver for this company(that I love by the way)for 15+ years but if I decide I want to transfer into the shop,that doesn't instantly make me a mechcanic.Go ahead and whine until they let you out on the road,you'll probably never make it out of the gate without snagging the fence(or worse)anyways.

If you think about it, For a company that is sooo gungho on safety you would think they would train these guys the right way and make a program that involves more driving and inspection training. Myself, I don't like the way that they are doing it. It's all wrong!!

Well if I am not mistaken I do see a problem here. If you were to get hired on with UPS, they put you thru their rigorous bootcamp training course to make them eligible for a feeder driver.

Now I do not know what they offer but is this option not available for freight drivers? I personally have not hear d of it. However at our barn all of our dockworkers have no desire to become a city driver.

We all went through training. As I understand, there is no training program for freight drivers. The guys at our barn were nice enough to teach us to drive. The ride-a-longs that I spoke of was when that was done. They would let us drive and show/tell us what we did wrong and how to become better. We did this for quite some time until they felt comfortable for you to get the position. We all held our CDL's for quite a while before they even let us continue with the process. Personally, I've had a mine a year but I wanted to make sure that I was ready to drive. As previously stated, these guys did this on their own time as did we. They were just being nice brothers who wanted to help and I appreciate that. I have made out and back in the gate plenty of times and plan to do so until I retire or move to a better situation. I like my job the same as you do. I take pride in my driving and hope that you do the same. Be safe out there.

I liked the space and visibility program when it came out, shoot, I WAS a trainer.....but was never allowed the proper time to implement the program as designed. I no longer teach the program for that reason.

[quote author=laid off 90% link=topic=79672.msg825554#msg825554 date=1272549576]
i have a friend who was informed as many of us were, that if we obtain a cdl, that we would be able to become drivers.
so last year my friend started to take thet tests, and finally did get a cdl. about 6 months ago he applied for a driver position, he was told there wasn't an opening and that he would be first on the list. a couple of weeks ago he was told they are hireing drivers and he would have to go through the process. he took the D.O.T physical, passed. took the road test. passed. as far as we knew he was going to be promoted to a driver any day. last week, the TM told him that they couldn't make him because he doesn't have 1 year experiance in driveing, and that's what UPS requires. he has been with overnite/UPSfrieght for 11 years and is PISSED off. he has spotted for over 5 years, and i have heard in the past that spotting experiance counts toward driveing experiance.

was wondering if this is going on everywhere or just local? has anyone heard that our dock can no longer become drivers?

so my understanding is casuals can't become full-time... dock can't drive.... and here city drivers can't become road drivers..... due to 2 locals, can't switch unions

what happen to UPS takeing pride in hireing from within? but then again this isn't UPS its UPS FRIEGHT.
[/quote]

i worked the dock and jockeyed for about 2 years...got my CDL when i was 20 which was last may....just got a full time bid as a city driver

get this, im a full time city driver and have been for over a month, and they are STILL paying me part time dock wages and benefits and the union said i will NOT get back pay

really glad to be union :rant:

i'm glad somebody is gettin promoted, been part time for 3 years and i was next in line for a full time position, but they closed that terminal in virginia, and it put 5 people in front of me, sh*t, i'll never be full time, guess time to start lookin elsewhere