FedEx Freight | proper sets, seals and scale tickets

hurricane64

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm a little curious about how many drivers deal with these issues. First, sets made up, with the heavy trlr as the rear and the lighter for the lead. Second, with the wrong seal number, not matching paperwork and that its put on incorrectly. Just looped over the handle. And third, any pup trailer weighing 18k, that doesn't have a scale ticket with the trailer#'s ,attached to the manifest. I've heard so many outlandish stories and the reasoning, as to why they didn't correct it or at least call it in, it would blow your mind. And I ,personally had a meet driver get pissed at me because I was 2 hrs late, because my relay driver brought me a set, with no trailer lights and I got them fixed. :biglaugh: Lawyers luv twuck dribbers

Meet a contractor in wamsutter and front trailer weighted 19+ back was 17,000. No scale ticket, so I ran it over the cat scale and I was overaxle. Well he had left and there I was 600 over on my drives. Well I took it to Sidney even though I should not have after much talking with central. But someone else had to take it on to aurora. And KC had to make sure that they sent a double axle for it. All because a contractor did not weigh at start. It's so much better to just leave it then take care of it. Lazy slobs. Or do they just not know what they are doing?

Did you trade trailers with the contractor? If so, what would he/she or heshe have done if you wouldn't have given him/her or its paperwork until you were sure yours was legal?

Sounds like fun. Proper procedure from start was: hostler scale set and they fix it or, if time restraint ,then notify central to pass on down the line that all relays require a tandem. I'm sure the contractor had a tandem, right. And when dirtbag tries to pass it off to you, tell him you need a scale ticket or your not swapping. Then be prepared to drive on to wherever. Here's my rule I use," if the guy/gal I swap with doesn't walk past the landing gear, I don't trust anything they do. If they do a walk around , I still don't trust anything they do". But, I do respect them. And try this one sometime. Next time you meet your relay driver, tell him " to wait a minute so you can do a walk around on the set you're bringing them. You want to make sure you're not pawning some crizap on them". Plant that seed, 10-4

hey midnight, I didn't and worthless didn't say a power only or contractor hooked the set in reverse. Wortless said he brought an overweight without a scale ticket. Read it again, then comment, 10-4

[quote author=worthless link=topic=81738.msg843928#msg843928 date=1278354700]
Meet a contractor in wamsutter and front trailer weighted 19+ back was 17,000. No scale ticket, so I ran it over the cat scale and I was overaxle. Well he had left and there I was 600 over on my drives. Well I took it to Sidney even though I should not have after much talking with central. But someone else had to take it on to aurora. And KC had to make sure that they sent a double axle for it. All because a contractor did not weigh at start. It's so much better to just leave it then take care of it. Lazy slobs. Or do they just not know what they are doing?
[/quote]

I'm just surprised as hell you met one who spoke English.

I guess that's what I should start doing. If it is over 18,000 don't swap if he doesn't have a scale ticket, make him go scale it. Never had the problem of getting sets hooked backwards.

Oh yeh, Worthless, I have, too many times to count. San Bernie was famous for it! I use to joke that the sun was too bright out there , it blinded them. :biglaugh: Then drivers would say, "if the rear pup isn't a 1000#'s more than the lead, don't worry about it". Then that 1000 turned into 5000! Thats not management, thats drivers. Management would say " if you're comfortable with it, go". :nono: And you're only as good as your last load.

A 20 yr driver with the company said Watkins old policy was 2000 lbs go with it. Central has given us the numbers backwards to hook before we got smart enough to ask for weights and we would fix them if over a couple hundred lbs. I hope nobody brings them into where we are now backwards or overweight.

The only time I've seen trailers hooked backwards was when one of the trailers had a split bill on it and they forgot to split the weights.

As far as seals... we've got some real retards working for us here. I have seen seals wrapped around the handle and the lock more times than I can count. Why is it so hard to understand that a seal is supposed to keep people from getting in the trailer without breaking it?

I also see wrong seal numbers all the time. At least twice a week I have to get a seal discrepancy report made before I can leave the yard. The official procedure is for a supervisor to go out to the trailer and verify a couple of pro numbers before they issue a new seal. That rarely happens. Sometimes the number is just missing a number out of the middle. Sometimes it is completely wrong.

Most of the trailers I pull are from Cincinnati and Sacramento. It seams that Cincinnati, Sacramento, Sparks, Salt Lake and Sidney don't bother with checking the seals before the trailers leave the yard. In KC we can't leave until the seals are right. If we don't catch it, the guard will turn us around and we get a coaching letter in our file setting us straight about the proper way to check a seal.

Scale tickets are another thing. I get around one load over 18K a week in Aurora that doesn't have a scale ticket. It's getting better because my meet man has asked the girl he meets in Wamsutter to make sure she scales it before she leaves Salt Lake. I get them all the time from CCN without a scale ticket but it's not an issue because I always scale it in KC even if it has a ticket with it. I don't trust my CSA score to anyone.

those contractors probably don't know how to get a scale ticket, Hell I don't. I check it, but don't have a clue how to get a ticket. Didn't do it at freight, and nobody has shown me anything here. Everybody assumes everybody knows everything at Natl cause most have been there since they were born.

Have you asked?

I just got a set in KC that originated in CCN that was 21500 on the drives and no scale ticket stapled to the bills. Not that it mattered now. Now I get to switch trucks to a twin screw.

[quote author=Hurricane64 link=topic=81738.msg844051#msg844051 date=1278381830]
hey midnight, I didn't and worthless didn't say a power only or contractor hooked the set in reverse. Wortless said he brought an overweight without a scale ticket. Read it again, then comment, 10-4
[/quote]

thanks I did sorry ya forgot what you wrote at the first post ( First, sets made up, with the heavy trlr as the rear and the lighter for the lead) that was my comment cause I know a pt did do that. 10-4

[quote author=Hurricane64 link=topic=81738.msg844139#msg844139 date=1278418220]
Oh yeh, Worthless, I have, too many times to count. San Bernie was famous for it! I use to joke that the sun was too bright out there , it blinded them. :biglaugh: Then drivers would say, "if the rear pup isn't a 1000#'s more than the lead, don't worry about it". Then that 1000 turned into 5000! Thats not management, thats drivers. Management would say " if you're comfortable with it, go". :nono: And you're only as good as your last load.
[/quote]

I was out of SBR for 12yrs as line haul. Have no clue what you are talking B.S thats all your saying about SBR, spent to many yrs in the best terminal in the system.