XPO | Proper trailer drop height.

I'm glad somebody brought this thread back to life. I too am noticing more and more trailers dropped too high. Pups and City Vans. Almost everyday I'm having to get out and crank down the landing gear. The DOT manual states that you must lift a trailer slighty when backing under it. This is to ensure the proper locking of the Kingpin.:1036316054:

What was it either last year or the year before they put out a memo we had at our monday meeting stating we are not to drop or allow the trialer to drop at all...when we pull out the gear should be lowered enough to where the trailer is already resting on the ground...they said it was causing damage to the landing gear of the trailers...yeah right.

So i think the proper thing is to drop the trailer about maybe an inch or so while pulling out...this would allow for a solid hook when the trailer has to be lifted ever so slightly when backing 5th wheel under...any experience will allow you to notice whether or not the trailer is too high or low before you back either the tractor or the dolly under the trailers. I just went over this with a DSR at my terminal who has been here for about 7 months now. She didnt pay any attention to the trailer height and then had tough times lowering the gear...either lower the trailer a little or raise it if you cannot get under it...and if it is too heavy to crank up then use the 5th wheel of either the dolly or tractor to relieve some of the weight and crank a few turns...long and slow process but it works.

What was it either last year or the year before they put out a memo we had at our monday meeting stating we are not to drop or allow the trialer to drop at all...when we pull out the gear should be lowered enough to where the trailer is already resting on the ground...they said it was causing damage to the landing gear of the trailers...yeah right.

I recall that, but does it not cause damage if you do not hit the pin exactly dead on and the trailer shifts left or right against the landing gear. Also damage is caused when tugging your hook for safety as strain is placed against the landing gear in yet another direction.

Yep, just another example of well thought out policy. Did it make it into our.......never mind, we don't have a policy manual.

fat and lazy

The reason we have trailers dropped too low is because of FAT LAZY drivers that dont want to get between there ans perhaps get dirty!!! they crank them down most of the way and back it in pull the pin and drop it

I have also witnessed a driver EVERY night he spots his kite in front of the door at the FAC puts his lead away, backs under the kite DOES NOT hook up airlines just shoves it back into the door, climbs on the catwalk unhooks airlines then pulls the pin drives away..In other words he weakens or brakes the welds so the next guy who drops this trailer drops it , further weakening the welds and some poor sucker who drives in the trailer and the trailer legs collapse quite possibly badly injuring or killing some one
GROW up stop being so lazy
i see alot of skinny guys lower the back dollie legs about 5 inches from the ground. that way when they come back to place #2 trlr up they don't have to crank it up. i guess that saves them time and can get to the gym quicker.

i know its really bad when you are in the volvos the trailors are usually droped too high. you need to back under slowly, if not u might jump the pin. if droped too low drop air bag u will be able to get under it with out cranking it up.

I recall that, but does it not cause damage if you do not hit the pin exactly dead on and the trailer shifts left or right against the landing gear. Also damage is caused when tugging your hook for safety as strain is placed against the landing gear in yet another direction.

Yep, just another example of well thought out policy. Did it make it into our.......never mind, we don't have a policy manual.

Well, the way I see it, landing gear are similar to screw drivers...they are built to last as best as possible, but in the end, they are subject to extreme wear and tear and there is no way around it and they will have to be replaced...a disposable item so to say...and there just isnt anything anyone one can do about it.