XPO | Pro's and Con's

What do you like or dislike about working for Con-way?

The 'likes' are obvious

The 'dislike' thing takes a little more explanation.

Overall (and spare me fellas) I think most of the posters here don't dislike working for Con-Way.

This is a place we come to interact one with another. Some come to ask questions and some come to relay info. And there are others (myself incuded) who come here to vent. And there are times we just want to give our opinion on various matters. Sometimes we disagree and sometimes we don't.

We have a Service Center Manager from God knows where that participates in this forum. Perhaps he comes here to vent and bounce things off other Con-Way members. He gives us a perspective from the 'other side' (if there is one!) He has no obligation to do so whatsoever but he does it nonetheless.

We have drivers from all facets of the Con-Way paradigm. LHers...P&D people... and even some who have left the company.

Then on top of all that you have Jeff, the mods, and administrators holding the whole damn thing together.

Bottom line...most of us see things happening to our company we either don't agree with or just plain don't understand. It makes us nervous. It worries us.

I plan on retiring from Con-Way and I have a vested interest in its continuity. This is hands down the best friggin' company I have ever worked for...sometimes I just don't understand them!

Rat :loser:

There are many things and people I don't like but I'll keep it positive.

We have the best driver board/bid selection system in the industry. One board seniority, bid what you want every year, and lay-offs based strictly off company - not classification time. It's the best system in the industry. The more time you have the better it works for you.

Another pro I like, at least in the East, there are no lay-down runs. Every driver home every day. We don't have to deal with dirty bunk rooms or hotels.

Well..........let's see here..........I don't mind the work.

and the money is adequate for my needs.

I don't particularly care for going to work every night. If you could come up with a plan where I can do the work, and get the same pay, but, not have to show up for work every night.........

Now, that I might just sign up for.

Get back to me on that will you?

Have your people, call my people....

We'll do lunch...

Well..........let's see here..........I don't mind the work.

and the money is adequate for my needs.

I don't particularly care for going to work every night. If you could come up with a plan where I can do the work, and get the same pay, but, not have to show up for work every night.........

Now, that I might just sign up for.

Get back to me on that will you?

Have your people, call my people....

We'll do lunch...

At my barn it is called the Flex Board!!!

Rat :loser:

pros for me:

decent check
off weekends and majors holidays
my vacation time
most of my fellow workers

dislikes:
some fellow workers who screw us so they dont have to do their job, but, they are stealing time.
management who cannot make a good decision.
slow trucks
old trucks
drivng on ice
our stupid personnel fos. he is really useless

guess that is it for now

One of the responses said you are home every night in the east? do you not have any team drivers that stay out? 2nd question is after a lay off, does conway call you back to your previous job with same seniority and pay as before the layoff? The reason I ask is because we just had layoffs at ODFL and thay don't!

One of the responses said you are home every night in the east? do you not have any team drivers that stay out? 2nd question is after a lay off, does conway call you back to your previous job with same seniority and pay as before the layoff? The reason I ask is because we just had layoffs at ODFL and thay don't!

Con-way does a couple of ways of "lay-off's", at least at my barn. They can lay you off or do an "economic termination".

When layed-off, you get called back by seniority, you get your same job back, at the same pay, and you keep your seniority. On economic termination, they can call you back in any order. I'm not sure how the seniority works on the economic termination route.

Con-way does a couple of ways of "lay-off's", at least at my barn. They can lay you off or do an "economic termination".

When layed-off, you get called back by seniority, you get your same job back, at the same pay, and you keep your seniority. On economic termination, they can call you back in any order. I'm not sure how the seniority works on the economic termination route.

It doesn't...economic terms should be done by seniority, but once termed and separated from the company, it's like coming back new, with application and interview, the whole thing...

It doesn't...economic terms should be done by seniority, but once termed and separated from the company, it's like coming back new, with application and interview, the whole thing...

Thanks BB, I knew you would have the answer. Didn't realize they had to start from scratch though.

:hide: Once again, we are not one big happy family. That ain't the way it works around here! Layed off is layed off. Call me back, I go right back to the spot I had before.
This whole ONE company thing is such a sham! Get it straight throughout the entire system! :smilie_132:

:hide: Once again, we are not one big happy family. That ain't the way it works around here! Layed off is layed off. Call me back, I go right back to the spot I had before.
This whole ONE company thing is such a sham! Get it straight throughout the entire system! :smilie_132:

You're confusing eco-terms with layoffs....

It seems that they have all been economic terminations. We had three openings at our service center recently for drivers. A terminated driver from XSB applied and since he had been separated from the company less than thirty days he started right in. However the driver from XKL had been separated over thirty days and was required to have a background check and a driving test before employment.