YRC Freight | Protect The Dock Only Teamster Brothers and Sisters On The Change of Operations!

imissroadway

Missing Big R, I guess I'm too old to understand your thinking.
You're telling me if in the future you start off with a new company, you should be penalized 18 months before drawing equal pay with a 3 yr man doing the same work.
That has always hit a nerve with me.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
I hope that never happens to you.
Yes , you gotta work your way up, in your way of thinking, why wouldn’t a new hire get 6 weeks of vacation like a man with 30 years?

NewYellow

When I first started I couldn’t touch a forklift, on my feet pulling carts and stacking high and tight, when I first started getting a forklift I was nervous to take my pallets down to get loaded because the old timers would chew your ass if it wasn’t loaded correctly. Now a days , the guys hired after 2014 Try to Google how to pick up a knocked over pallet of boxes. The placed is doomed !
Maybe with layoffs and slow times we can speak about it to each of our terminals? Man i wish this company can turn it around a bit. The size of this company can actually be back on top immediately if we can turn things around. When new dock worker had asked me or drivers where does freight go i know I tell them to ask a dock senior man instead of a supervisor, if no senior guy is around then ask a supervisor.

seabreeze

Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member
Yes , you gotta work your way up, in your way of thinking, why wouldn’t a new hire get 6 weeks of vacation like a man with 30 years?
I drove for PIE 35 yrs, (never had but 1 job) 3 million miles safe driving.
PIE goes out of business, let's say I go to work as a new hire driver for your company.
Do you think I should be paid less than a truck driver school student with 18 months of seniority?

imissroadway

Simple, seniority determines vacation time, not pay rate. Does the same work, gets the same pay, stays longer at the company gets rewarded with more vacation time just like most any other company/industry around.
In todays ways,with marijuana being legal, why would a pot head obtain the responsibility of having a CDL if he could sit on the dock and get paid the same as a CDL driver, they have to make people want to get the CDL by paying more to take on the responsibilities. So you belive a person who just starts on the dock should be at full scale the first time he steps on the dock?

imissroadway

I drove for PIE 35 yrs, (never had but 1 job) 3 million miles safe driving.
PIE goes out of business, let's say I go to work as a new hire driver for your company.
Do you think I should be paid less than a truck driver school student with 18 months of seniority?
Yes because the contract that we voted for says that you progress in rate of pay.

Hookman

Just passing thru on my way home
AD FREE
In todays ways,with marijuana being legal, why would a pot head obtain the responsibility of having a CDL if he could sit on the dock and get paid the same as a CDL driver, they have to make people want to get the CDL by paying more to take on the responsibilities. So you belive a person who just starts on the dock should be at full scale the first time he steps on the dock?
Yes because the contract that we voted for says that you progress in rate of pay.
With your way of thinking I see another crappy contract in Yellers future. Big pay differentials in job classifications allows the company to control the contract. Give the majority more money & they will out vote those who get screwed over with lower wages & smaller raises. Two tier wages are the companies dream.

imissroadway

Maybe you should stop and smell the flowers, thinking like yours could be the reason you have such a poor contract today.
You've given away all we fought for and given you.
Actually I was handing out flyers on why to vote down the contract giving up the pension and wage cuts. People wouldn’t even touch the paper. We even picketed when the ibt was negotiating with the company in San Diego. I didn’t give away anything. You have no idea .

imissroadway

With your way of thinking I see another crappy contract in Yellers future. Big pay differentials in job classifications allows the company to control the contract. Give the majority more money & they will out vote those who get screwed over with lower wages & smaller raises. Two tier wages are the companies dream.
I doubt there will be another contract. $700 million dollar loan that matures in 2024 , plus it would take a ton of money to get into the pension fund again.
We will be told yellow is broke and the IBT will say this is the best contract they can get , override us and say it’s for the best interest of saving union jobs.

seabreeze

Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member
Actually I was handing out flyers on why to vote down the contract giving up the pension and wage cuts. People wouldn’t even touch the paper. We even picketed when the ibt was negotiating with the company in San Diego. I didn’t give away anything. You have no idea .
My mistake, I thought I read in your post #48 that you said the contract we voted for.

slavenomore

US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions
AD FREE
Dispatchers would hand pills with bills to drivers before the CDL.

flybynite

AD FREE
Years ago when I was a teamster, we had our contract talks at the hall. The steward was warehouse and of course there was more warehouse than driver’s. The proposal was raising the warehouse up to the driver’s wage. I stood up and told them they were full of crap. I was so pissed a couple of driver’s took me out to let me cool off. I had a chauffeur license, and all the other things. Some guy sitting on a forklift or on a machine was going to get what I earned? I quit that week and tried to get on at Roadway. This was back in the late 80’s.

slavenomore

AD FREE
No dock worker should be paid the same as a guy who has more responsibility.

I started on the dock with years of driving experience. Only senior guys drove. I worked with casuals who paid dues with no CDL
And no rights. Just a right to answer the phone and come when called. At any hour. And stay until they were allowed to go home. And if they made a mistake and didn't run around when told...there was a chance they wouldn't be called.
Did the same job as me for 6-8 years until I had seniority to drive.
Union shop.... dues paying members. No grievance machinery. And drivers and CDL dock guys treated them just as bad as I'd ever seen at nonunion shops. Ratting. Acting like bosses.
Never could stand it.

Looking at things now.
Company wants UE.
Road drivers eliminate to become dock workers at foreign terminals.
Their future plans could be to say..although you drive half the night....the rest of the night you are just a dockworker.....therefore to survive...you will now get dock rate on dock....and driver rate while driving.

You'd be wiser to ask for the current dock guys to get your driver's rate.
Without dock workers that leaves drivers to do it.
And if they cost as much as a driver...the TM'S will lose money if they're not doing their job.
And I'd think discpline would pick up.

Injuries or health issues put drivers on the dock here.
And they get paid drivers rate because they can't pass the DOT physical. Some never will again.
Yet they get drivers rate. And do only dock work.
Right next to guys making less money.
I'd rather see it all equal.
And if a driver wants to work dock instead of drive be able to bid dock

Brassballs

Years ago when I was a teamster, we had our contract talks at the hall. The steward was warehouse and of course there was more warehouse than driver’s. The proposal was raising the warehouse up to the driver’s wage. I stood up and told them they were full of crap. I was so pissed a couple of driver’s took me out to let me cool off. I had a chauffeur license, and all the other things. Some guy sitting on a forklift or on a machine was going to get what I earned? I quit that week and tried to get on at Roadway. This was back in the late 80’s.
I have to agree with you fly...
The driver has to put his azz on the line every day.
I can't watch Sunday night football and have a few beers for fear of an alcohol test the next morning.
If I get a speeding ticket and I don't pay to have it reduced it goes against my license.
If the DOT pulls me in for an inspection and something is out of whack it goes against my CSA score.
Anything that goes against my license has the potential of me losing my job.
A dock worker doesn't have any of that responsibility and in my opinion shouldn't! male what i do .
Nothing personal against any dock professionals of course.

slavenomore

AD FREE
I can't watch Sunday night football and have a few beers for fear of an alcohol test the next morning.
If I get a speeding ticket and I don't pay to have it reduced it goes against my license.
If the DOT pulls me in for an inspection and something is out of whack it goes against my CSA score.
A dock worker doesn't have any of that responsibility and in my opinion shouldn't! male what i do .
Should you make drivers rate while on the dock with your boss all morning?
Wouldn't it be wiser business to pay you dock rate until doing driver duties?
Your not taking driver risks when doing their job every morning.
Look how much you'd save the company those 4 hours every day.

slavenomore

AD FREE
If you have an incident which disqualifies your DOT physical, should you get driver rate and stay at company on dock for driver rate or get dock rate or lose your job totally?

AdBlock Detected

Please disable your adblocker or click the green AD FREE button to support Truckingboards.
We have 2 ways to pay for this website, Advertising or Users who buy out of advertising. Thank You

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks