Yellow | Protect The Dock Only Teamster Brothers and Sisters On The Change of Operations!

Companies sometimes attempted to pay full rate to new hires when help was in short supply. In some cases "Brother Teamsters" have objected to them doing that. Just another example of modern day "Brotherhood" IMHO.
Yup, and it irritates me when I hear "It was that way when I started so they can live with it." It was wrong then and it is wrong now, so why object to it? There should be no room for petty jealousy in the brotherhood...

I think we all work for the same company. We all pay dues. So we should all get the same pay. CDL or not. Road, city, and dock.
The division causes division.

Our bids are written up city/dock.
And when slow we can work dock.
I would have an exception for workers on 45', 12' 6" trailers though. They should get less because the trailers are smaller. :poke: :bananapartyhat:

I would have an exception for workers on 45', 12' 6" trailers though. They should get less because the trailers are smaller. :poke: :bananapartyhat:
I just pulled a 43 bill container, 41,563#, from the dock, and closed the doors. I told the dock Super this would have been better floor loaded on 2 - 3 boxes. The dockman who loaded the 43 bills probably could have loaded 3 trailers just as fast as 1, and the 3 shuttle guys could have gotten more OT.

I think we all work for the same company. We all pay dues. So we should all get the same pay. CDL or not. Road, city, and dock.
The division causes division.

Our bids are written up city/dock.
And when slow we can work dock.
No but non cdl holder don’t have same responsibilities as us with cdl. We have more risk and responsibilities. We have to go out and drive to bring the freight because it’s a trucking company first of all. A dock can get pulled over for going 5 mph faster than the limit and get a $200 citation for example and the cdl holder will be doubled ($400) we have to show our faces to costumers when dock workers don’t want to help keep the freight intact and safe to go out on the road (transportation) to get it safely to its consignee but since they are damage and we are the ones to show our face for you who damage the freight or don’t secure it we get chewed on by the costumers. You guys don’t see the frontlines and get the heat from the costumers. It’s embarrassing to sometimes show up to all damaged freight and missing pallets as well like I had to try to deliver at waxie sanitation, they just refused the whole 10+ pallets. If dock would do there jobs and secure the freight as much as they can cool I’m with you guys but majority don’t care so why even get paid as a cdl? If that happened I rather lose my cdl and get paid like a driver to damage freight too.

No but non cdl holder don’t have same responsibilities as us with cdl. We have more risk and responsibilities. We have to go out and drive to bring the freight because it’s a trucking company first of all. A dock can get pulled over for going 5 mph faster than the limit and get a $200 citation for example and the cdl holder will be doubled ($400) we have to show our faces to costumers when dock workers don’t want to help keep the freight intact and safe to go out on the road (transportation) to get it safely to its consignee but since they are damage and we are the ones to show our face for you who damage the freight or don’t secure it we get chewed on by the costumers. You guys don’t see the frontlines and get the heat from the costumers. It’s embarrassing to sometimes show up to all damaged freight and missing pallets as well like I had to try to deliver at waxie sanitation, they just refused the whole 10+ pallets. If dock would do there jobs and secure the freight as much as they can cool I’m with you guys but majority don’t care so why even get paid as a cdl? If that happened I rather lose my cdl and get paid like a driver to damage freight too.
I hate to say it, but back in the day the dock were professional freight HANDLERS. Today the dock too many times are forklift bumper car or demolition derby drivers. Fire away, I can take it. :idunno:

I hate to say it, but back in the day the dock were professional freight HANDLERS. Today the dock too many times are forklift bumper car or demolition derby drivers. Fire away, I can take it. :idunno:
Exactly the old timers of roadway and yellow I imagine they took good care of costumers that’s why they were racing each other for 1st place carriers. But now, it’s the opposite, Usf and new pen take care of the costumers because when I come across freight shipped by them and get it out here in California, majority of the times it come well taken care of but you see a yrc label lol most of the time crushed. Sad but all new docks hire since 2014 need to be retrained for proper use of equipment and how to actually handle freight. I was one of them trained by a newer roadway dock and he would be on his phone 90% of the time he was “guiding” me and took 1 hour lunch every day. What kind of training is that? I went to abf trying to get hit eld but didn’t have my cdl at that time but the training was much more serious and they made sure I didn’t slam the fork to the ground and made sure I use all equipment from (beam bars, airbags, pallets to protect fragile freight, zip ties etc) I came back to yrc working like I was trained by an real old school roadway or yellow dock worker.

If paid top rate it's harder for management to allow nonsense.
Cheap rate allies for it.
Yes I’m with you with that and if they actually can discipline docks for damaging freight, abusing company time and not using equipment, even run some bill rate per hour, that’s fine I can see dock workers getting paid like me because now dock will have more risk like a cdl sort of because they can get written up east to a point that they can lose their job. But with a hourly wage like a driver I bet anyone won’t mind some strict rules. Non union have their dock like that with less pay now a union job in a dock with a pay like a driver anyone will apply. Yellow rather have a stack full of applications for any position than none like right now lol

Exactly the old timers of roadway and yellow I imagine they took good care of costumers that’s why they were racing each other for 1st place carriers. But now, it’s the opposite, Usf and new pen take care of the costumers because when I come across freight shipped by them and get it out here in California, majority of the times it come well taken care of but you see a yrc label lol most of the time crushed. Sad but all new docks hire since 2014 need to be retrained for proper use of equipment and how to actually handle freight. I was one of them trained by a newer roadway dock and he would be on his phone 90% of the time he was “guiding” me and took 1 hour lunch every day. What kind of training is that? I went to abf trying to get hit eld but didn’t have my cdl at that time but the training was much more serious and they made sure I didn’t slam the fork to the ground and made sure I use all equipment from (beam bars, airbags, pallets to protect fragile freight, zip ties etc) I came back to yrc working like I was trained by an real old school roadway or yellow dock worker.
Retrained, they were never trained.

Yes I’m with you with that and if they actually can discipline docks for damaging freight, abusing company time and not using equipment, even run some bill rate per hour, that’s fine I can see dock workers getting paid like me because now dock will have more risk like a cdl sort of because they can get written up east to a point that they can lose their job. But with a hourly wage like a driver I bet anyone won’t mind some strict rules. Non union have their dock like that with less pay now a union job in a dock with a pay like a driver anyone will apply. Yellow rather have a stack full of applications for any position than none like right now lol
That has always been an issue on the docks.
Abuse of time.
Won't get off the lift to use dunnage, deck bars, or common sense.
BPH, around 3.
Driving forklifts like Roadway Spy.

back in the day p&d trailers were loaded with pride.i was taught by the senior dockmen-city peddles and line haul. remember they would say Haste Makes Waste and all you have is Time in LIFE,so do it right the first time and never be afraid to ask for help. Im glad i listened and i passed that on to younger guys around me. It did all change at Yellow in the mid 80s when real dispatchers and supervisors and TMs were let go for the FRAT BOYS with the higher education to workers how to be more productive, wasted more time being our shadow then just letting us do the job.

When I first started I couldn’t touch a forklift, on my feet pulling carts and stacking high and tight, when I first started getting a forklift I was nervous to take my pallets down to get loaded because the old timers would chew your ass if it wasn’t loaded correctly. Now a days , the guys hired after 2014 Try to Google how to pick up a knocked over pallet of boxes. The placed is doomed !

Missing Big R, I guess I'm too old to understand your thinking.
You're telling me if in the future you start off with a new company, you should be penalized 18 months before drawing equal pay with a 3 yr man doing the same work.
That has always hit a nerve with me.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
I hope that never happens to you.
Yes , you gotta work your way up, in your way of thinking, why wouldn’t a new hire get 6 weeks of vacation like a man with 30 years?

When I first started I couldn’t touch a forklift, on my feet pulling carts and stacking high and tight, when I first started getting a forklift I was nervous to take my pallets down to get loaded because the old timers would chew your ass if it wasn’t loaded correctly. Now a days , the guys hired after 2014 Try to Google how to pick up a knocked over pallet of boxes. The placed is doomed !
Maybe with layoffs and slow times we can speak about it to each of our terminals? Man i wish this company can turn it around a bit. The size of this company can actually be back on top immediately if we can turn things around. When new dock worker had asked me or drivers where does freight go i know I tell them to ask a dock senior man instead of a supervisor, if no senior guy is around then ask a supervisor.

Yes , you gotta work your way up, in your way of thinking, why wouldn’t a new hire get 6 weeks of vacation like a man with 30 years?
I drove for PIE 35 yrs, (never had but 1 job) 3 million miles safe driving.
PIE goes out of business, let's say I go to work as a new hire driver for your company.
Do you think I should be paid less than a truck driver school student with 18 months of seniority?

Simple, seniority determines vacation time, not pay rate. Does the same work, gets the same pay, stays longer at the company gets rewarded with more vacation time just like most any other company/industry around.