New Penn | Providence Move

Does anyone know if this is commen and/or going to become a trend in the future with other trucking companies? I never heard about this thing happening before now.

Companies share building all the time.
If the landlord wants to rent to two parties, it's his option.

In the case of Yellow owning both companies it becuase a matter of overhead saving ie synergies.

Why let a 100 door barn go vacate when it can house two smaller companies.

In the case of Cumberland RI.

The building was owned by USF. Built by the corporation to house RedStar.
When RedStar closed it remained the property of USF.
USF in turn was purchased by Yellow, lock stock and barrel.

New Penn was in a farily new facility at the time there was no need to move.
New Penn needs a bigger place.
Roadway in Lincoln RI needs bigger place.
Holland has been rumored to be coming back any month now since Jun of '04.
Simce Cumberland was vacant it makes since to move NP into Cumberland and give them room to grow, Roadway is moving into NP's termianl in Cranston after NP leaves giving Roadway the room they've needed to operate effeceintly.
Roadway's teminal is in a valuble area and will be sold for a huge profit for the land alone.
Now with all the room in Cumberland Holland would have the opportunity to operate a small operation and re-establish the USF name back in New Engalnd. I'm not sure it will be sucessful

I don't see Holland expanding much beyond their current area anytime soon. Especially into area covered by New Penn. New Penn is one of the most profitable trucking companies and I just don't see Yellow doing anything to put that cash cow in jeopardy.

I think any expansions they are doing is to increase capacity for increased business.

Companies share building all the time.
If the landlord wants to rent to two parties, it's his option.

In the case of Yellow owning both companies it becuase a matter of overhead saving ie synergies.

Why let a 100 door barn go vacate when it can house two smaller companies.

In the case of Cumberland RI.

The building was owned by USF. Built by the corporation to house RedStar.
When RedStar closed it remained the property of USF.
USF in turn was purchased by Yellow, lock stock and barrel.

New Penn was in a farily new facility at the time there was no need to move.
New Penn needs a bigger place.
Roadway in Lincoln RI needs bigger place.
Holland has been rumored to be coming back any month now since Jun of '04.
Simce Cumberland was vacant it makes since to move NP into Cumberland and give them room to grow, Roadway is moving into NP's termianl in Cranston after NP leaves giving Roadway the room they've needed to operate effeceintly.
Roadway's teminal is in a valuble area and will be sold for a huge profit for the land alone.
Now with all the room in Cumberland Holland would have the opportunity to operate a small operation and re-establish the USF name back in New Engalnd. I'm not sure it will be sucessful
Talked to a guy at the big R and mentioned something about the airport wanting the land?

Talked to a guy at the big R and mentioned something about the airport wanting the land?

That's a new one!
But the terminal is on the otherside of Rt 116.
Not sure waht they would want it for.
Maybe a Air friehgt operation for the Islands.
Block, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket?????????????

holland is not after new penn i95 freight lanes they will go after conway old d midwest lanes they dont even want the intrline bestway west coast that was one of the things that made redstar lose money

holland is not after new penn i95 freight lanes they will go after conway old d midwest lanes they dont even want the intrline bestway west coast that was one of the things that made redstar lose money

the rumor was always out there on the street about Red Star losing money but i never saw any concrete proof of it. i would bump into a salesman from a non-union job quite a bit at my some of my stops over the years and he never would agree that there was any truth to that either. as for Reddaway frt., i get alot residential crap to deliver :puke:

A friend of mine was in Cumberland the other day and took a drive up Industrial rd. He said he saw Fed Ex on the on the left side of the rd and Old Dominion also on the left at the end. He said at the end of the road on the right side was Estes. Now it has been over two years since I was there but that was where Red Star was right? So is someone pulling our legs about this New Penn move and what about that picture of the USF New Penn sign someone said was there?

so there's 92 doors for Holland & NP to split. is that enough ? we haul alot of frt. and im assuming Holland does the same so as someone who has never worked at a co. who had to share space, is 92 doors efficient enough ? in the summer we are busting at the seems with frt. and we only got 76 doors in Maspeth with only us in there. now your telling me they're gonna put 2 co.'s in one barn ? what happens in the summer when we're both busy ? their dock has gotta be huge.

i don't know if two companies are going in there or not. i'm going to have to see it to believe it. one of our drivers was in prov. the other morning and was talking to the tm and about the move and the tm said he can't wait they can use the space. also i was in trenton this morning and heard the dispatchers talking that come march new penn will be servicing the whole country. so i guess we will start picking up freight for the mid west. now if this is the case why move holland into the new england area to compete with us for freight. i know that they are in some of the areas has new penn now but remember they only opened some of the red star terminals back up before yellow bought usf. if yellow had already owned them i don't think you would have ever seen them open back up. just my opinion.

i don't know if two companies are going in there or not. i'm going to have to see it to believe it. one of our drivers was in prov. the other morning and was talking to the tm and about the move and the tm said he can't wait they can use the space. also i was in trenton this morning and heard the dispatchers talking that come march new penn will be servicing the whole country. so i guess we will start picking up freight for the mid west. now if this is the case why move holland into the new england area to compete with us for freight. i know that they are in some of the areas has new penn now but remember they only opened some of the red star terminals back up before yellow bought usf. if yellow had already owned them i don't think you would have ever seen them open back up. just my opinion.

I think if Yellow owned USF they never would have closed Red Star.
Remember RedStar was illegally closed, violating federal labor protection laws. USF fired their CEO because of the close.
Service was distrubted in the NorthEast tainting USF good name and repretation.
Long time customers were lost, never to return.
Yellow has more business sence than USF (as a corporation) had.

Remember USF closed RedStar to spite the Teamsters and their organization drive in both RedStar and Dugan for the short lived job action of May 21, 2004

Don't get me started on this.

I soon as I figure out how to post a pic here I'll post a pic of the terminal in Cumberalnd and the NEW SIGN

T251

not trying to get anyone started there t-251, alls i'm saying is i don't think yellow will expand holland into an overlapping area with new penn. i will have to see it to beleive it. i have been wrong too many times to count and may be wrong about this but we will see. also if new penn is going to start picking up freight for the mid west why would you put another company into that area to go after the same freight. makes no good business sense to me. it's different if the two were already co-existing in the same areas. but like i said we will see.

because holland can pickup midwest freight cheaper themselfs then usfnewpenn

i'm by no means an accountant, but i can't see how it would be cheaper for holland to pick up the freight for the mid west when they are not even in the area. by the time you figure in the cost of hiring, union benefits, salesmen, fuel, hotels, office workers,and whatever other cost you may encounter by going to a new area and starting up a new service. to me it would be cheaper to let the people you already have in place do it.

Besides all the costs & logistical problems, where are they going to get drivers that are good enough to be Holland material ?