ODFL | Pulling a dolly,jiff??

Beeman

TB Lurker
Credits
How many have pulled a jiff on the road either behind just the tractor or just 1 pup and a jiff? What's the legalities of this?, and or what's the proper way if there is such a thing?

Some have lights but I don't think you get anything more than running lights. You also don't have brakes and if pulling with a tractor you are pulling on the little pintle hook without a damper. Also most jiffs more than a couple of years old don't have mud flaps.

Beeman said:
How many have pulled a jiff on the road either behind just the tractor or just 1 pup and a jiff? What's the legalities of this?, and or what's the proper way if there is such a thing?
the dolly need to have mud flaps on it and light.when pulling behind a single trail hook up the air lines so you'll have brakes on the dolly.you have to hook the rear air lines to dummy glad hands or hook them together.

How we do it at Roadway......
Hook the jiff lock to the lead pup just like you are going to hook a rear trailer. Then hook the air lines and light cord that you would attach to the rear trailer to the jiff lock. Ours has glad hands and a place to plug in a light cord on our jiff's.

When you are bob-tailing we (roadway) have a different setup than anyone else I have seen. So if I were to tell you that it would not help.

P.S. I have been told by drivers that when you pull a pup and dolly that you are required to follow laws as if you were pulling two trailers. I don't follow that rule. I think it is bogus and just trucker trash talk.....??????

I know how Roadway installs their jiff-lox into the tractor for transport. Very obvious when you see a tandem tractor with mud flaps behind each axle.

Jiffs also have no license plate and no registration. Pulling behind tractor there is obviously no place to hook air lines and jiff blocks tractors rear lights which causes no brake lights or turn signals.

I usually do not run the brakes. Seems to me that jiff might get a little squirrelly if you had to brake hard.

Beeman said:
I know how Roadway installs their jiff-lox into the tractor for transport. Very obvious when you see a tandem tractor with mud flaps behind each axle.

Jiffs also have no license plate and no registration. Pulling behind tractor there is obviously no place to hook air lines and jiff blocks tractors rear lights which causes no brake lights or turn signals.
on od's Dolly's their are two dummy glad hands attached just in front of the 5 th wheel and there should be a place to plug the pig tail into to give you lights.i done it a few times but that was three years ago OD might have changed there Dolly's by now.

Beeman said:

I am not sure about the license plate or registration. I will look the next time I hook up to one during my PTI. But they do have a annual DOT inspection sticker on them. And the break lights and turn signals on the tractor are blocked by the jiff lock. But the jiff lock lights are on and working. There is still the required lights on the rear of the vehicle.

There is a pintle hook in the frame of the tractor which the jiff lock hooks to. We also hook the air lines which would usually go to the lead pup in the frame area of the tractor and also a light cord plug. And the lines which go to the rear pup hook up to the jiff lock. When finished the jiff lock has power and breaks as required by law.

Still the same at OD unless pulling one of the UW or WSKT,some of those have been upgraded though.

flat spotted

brutus said:
the dolly need to have mud flaps on it and light.when pulling behind a single trail hook up the air lines so you'll have brakes on the dolly.you have to hook the rear air lines to dummy glad hands or hook them together.
Shoot, you better not turn them valves on to that dollie,that sucker will lock up with minimal pressure applied to the brakes.hook the glad hands up but do not turn the vavles on.

Skywalker said:
Shoot, you better not turn them valves on to that dollie,that sucker will lock up with minimal pressure applied to the brakes.hook the glad hands up but do not turn the vavles on.
i never had a problem pulling them that way.

in michigan, i believe the law states that any trailer or towable 2501 lbs or more must have brakes. I have never hooked up brake air lines.
as long as your tractor lights are visable from behind MOST and i mean most cops won't bother you.

Toxic said:
I am not sure about the license plate or registration. I will look the next time I hook up to one during my PTI. But they do have a annual DOT inspection sticker on them. And the break lights and turn signals on the tractor are blocked by the jiff lock. But the jiff lock lights are on and working. There is still the required lights on the rear of the vehicle.

There is a pintle hook in the frame of the tractor which the jiff lock hooks to. We also hook the air lines which would usually go to the lead pup in the frame area of the tractor and also a light cord plug. And the lines which go to the rear pup hook up to the jiff lock. When finished the jiff lock has power and breaks as required by law.

The jiff is not required to have breaks. You only turn on the emergency valve,never the service. When pulling the dolly with the tractor, you dump all air out of the jiff, before driving.

I wonder what the legalities of this are. If you pull the jiff behind the tractor the air lines and light cord don't have anything to hook to, the jiff blocks the tractor tail lights. The jiff also has no license plate and I've never seen a registration for one, many have no mud flaps.

Beeman said:
I wonder what the legalities of this are. If you pull the jiff behind the tractor the air lines and light cord don't have anything to hook to, the jiff blocks the tractor tail lights. The jiff also has no license plate and I've never seen a registration for one, many have no mud flaps.

When I worked at Conway they had registration tags on the jiffs and you could plug the light cord into the tractor. We use to bobtail with a dolly quite a bit. They do have to have a registration tag on them though to pull them with a bobtail on the road.

Roadway jiffs have regi's also. I remember a few years ago, a roadman was involved in an accident not far from my terminal. He was pulling a 48 with a converted tractor. The cop was cussing under his breath because he needed all the regi's of the tractor, trailer, and jiff for the accident report, and it was a real pain in the butt to get the jiff regi while hooked up to a long box.