FedEx Freight | Purchase Trailers

Freight rates have dropped so it’s now cheaper again to use purchase rather than pay their own drivers . Last year when freight rates were up , they added guys around the system because it was cheaper , now it’s time to starve them out . Remember, it’s all about numbers .
I don’t think Freight rates have dropped! I know for sure their will be an increase of 5.8% starting Jan 6, 2020.

I don’t think Freight rates have dropped! I know for sure their will be an increase of 5.8% starting Jan 6, 2020.
I think he's referring to freight in general, not FedEx Freight. Truckload rates on the spot market are way down from last year.

Point is somebody is not going to work...
That's why we all should've voted yes.. but never mind let's not get this started again
You guys do understand that even truckload freight has slowed down. FedEx is using more PT because it’s cheaper. Period. They are probably getting that freight moved right now for a $1.50 a mile. Truckload carriers running teams 6000 miles a week, turning revenue to pay their bills. They can afford to do it when the driver is only making maybe 40-45 cents per mile.
But what YOU guys aren't understanding is that you all should've voted YES.... regardless if it's slow, dragging empties, one load & dolly, bobtail, sleep out in order to work. whatever we would all still be running. Union guarantees a mini or 8 hours just to stay home no matter what. None of this work the dock instead of going out crap or stay home ::shit:: would be happening. But go ahead let's all keep letting FEDEX save the money by using PT. Not saying union companies dont use PT but theres language on how much they can use for the year. We have NO voice whatsoever. SAD. And for any guys who are at the bottom of their boards, buckle up!!!! Its going to get ugly and that's for the simple fact that we do not have a VOICE

Last edited:
That's why we all should've voted yes.. but never mind let's not get this started again

But what YOU guys aren't understanding is that you all should've voted YES.... regardless if it's slow, dragging empties, one load & dolly, bobtail, sleep out in order to work. whatever we would all still be running. Union guarantees a mini or 8 hours just to stay home no matter what. None of this work the dock instead of going out crap or stay home :::shit::: would be happening. But go ahead let's all keep letting FEDEX save the money by using PT. Not saying union companies dont use PT but theres language on how much they can use for the year. We have NO voice whatsoever. SAD. And for any guys who are at the bottom of their boards, buckle up!!!! Its going to get ugly and that's for the simple fact that we do not have a VOICE
Had them on their heels in a few places and we “BLEW IT”. Not sure that will happen again. Stockton still holding on last I heard.

If you want to ignore what I said about the majority of the PTs going and coming from the west and talk about OMA and NPL, then sure. In years past they had no problems adding runs to OMA and adding to DEN due to extra NPL freight. But the topic of this thread was asking if it seems like there are more PTs now and the answer is yes there are. It is a fact that FedEx is using them more, I assume because they are cheaper right now and they don’t mind putting drivers on the dock to make up for not being able to find quality dock workers.

And no, I’m fortunately not stuck on the dock all night, but I referred several friends to work here and they aren’t as lucky. Anyone who runs to or from here knows how much they rely on PTs, with sleeper cabs parked by the road dispatch office and a dozen PT trailers lined up inside the entrance every morning.
And once again those PT’s are for lane imbalances. I’d be willing to be most of those PT’s are going to the NW from KCY. More freight heads to that area then coming out of it.

Idc if they are going to China... That is still our work.. but most guys dont look at it that way.. explains the NO votes
So just run empties?

Do you have the same logic for dockworkers and office employees?

“Hey guys, only xxx amount of bills tonight but all of you are going to work 8 hours. Just drive your forklifts around with empty blades.”

Business will not last long.

So just run empties?

Do you have the same logic for dockworkers and office employees?

“Hey guys, only xxx amount of bills tonight but all of you are going to work 8 hours. Sit around if you need to”

Business will not last long.
And how long has ABF been around???? I believe longer than fedex freight and I'll tell you one thing, they are still in business. That's how they operate! You are GUARANTEED a mini which is equivalent to 8 hours pay. If they gave me for example only 200 miles round trip I would get the remaining amount in hourly pay to equal 8 hours pay, no grievance needed. We were not able to work the dock so they would literally run me 200 miles with a set and come back with empties if they had to. There were other instances that they had no work so I drove to work for no reason. Went back home and had 8 hours on my paycheck. Yeah I thought the grass was greener on this side, stupid me. My point that I am trying to make is that they used PT as well but that never interfered with US the working DRIVERS. And if it ever did they who cares you still get paid the 8 hours so that's the companies fault. But instead let me just stay home and starve while fedex SAVES money on PT. Topic closed!!!!

And how long has ABF been around???? I believe longer than fedex freight and I'll tell you one thing, they are still in business. That's how they operate! You are GUARANTEED a mini which is equivalent to 8 hours pay. If they gave me for example only 200 miles round trip I would get the remaining amount in hourly pay to equal 8 hours pay, no grievance needed. We were not able to work the dock so they would literally run me 200 miles with a set and come back with empties if they had to. There were other instances that they had no work so I drove to work for no reason. Went back home and had 8 hours on my paycheck. Yeah I thought the grass was greener on this side, stupid me. My point that I am trying to make is that they used PT as well but that never interfered with US the working DRIVERS. And if it ever did they who cares you still get paid the 8 hours so that's the companies fault. But instead let me just stay home and starve while fedex SAVES money on PT. Topic closed!!!!

1) good for ABF, I guess? Every business uses different models.

2) once again, you are thinking about YOU. You must think about it from a business standpoint, and you are not.

1) good for ABF, I guess? Every business uses different models.

2) once again, you are thinking about YOU. You must think about it from a business standpoint, and you are not.
No you are totally wrong. I am thinking for US (drivers) but I've learned that at fedex everyone is a selfish driver.. there is no unity, everyone here is for themselves exactly why they ran the union out of CLT because everyone there is against each other instead of coming together as a terminal and making it a great place to work at. As long as the old timers aren't getting their paychecks messed with they dont care. Remember fedex threw the $ signs to make the drivers happy but how come union talks are starting to pop back up? How come dispatch is starting to get back to their old ways?

I’m not going to continue the union vs anti-union debate. It’s exhausting and you guys spread a lot of misinformation, and I really don’t feel like putting in the time online to clear up the untruths told by teamsters.

We have a lot of PT trailers coming in to POS on daily basis. Mostly Forward air, us express and CRST.
So why don’t you guys come together like you’s tried before and do something about it ??? My slipseat guy used to meet with POS and said your all good guys . Was shocked to hear you’s pulled out on the Union