Holland | Purchase Transportation And Layoffs

Like having to hire more employees and pay more benefits rather than letting less employees do more work. 43 years doing this trumps any college degree.
No offense intended Cyber, but in my 45 years later in this business, I still don’t see a 5 mph difference on top end speed making, or breaking a trucking company.

No offense intended Cyber, but in my 45 years later in this business, I still don’t see a 5 mph difference on top end speed making, or breaking a trucking company.

The only thing it does make or break is a few select runs that can only be turned with a fast truck... but I remember when CFI turned their trucks down from 70 to 65. We had guys calling Truckin’ Bozo on XM bitching about how the company was trying to starve them. I wanted to call and tell the whiners to give me a 65 mph truck, they take a 70, and run us both 1200 miles. If he beat me by more than 30 minutes I’d be willing to buy him a steak dinner.

The only thing it does make or break is a few select runs that can only be turned with a fast truck... but I remember when CFI turned their trucks down from 70 to 65. We had guys calling Truckin’ Bozo on XM bitching about how the company was trying to starve them. I wanted to call and tell the whiners to give me a 65 mph truck, they take a 70, and run us both 1200 miles. If he beat me by more than 30 minutes I’d be willing to buy him a steak dinner.

Song, who is CFI?

I am thinking Contract Freighters Inc. Joplin mo?

I didn't think it was Consolidated, when I was working, those poor guys were cut to 55, not 56 mph, they
still made their Charlotte to Orlando, 520 miles.
Most did not socialize a lot, didn't have time.

I see the 65 trucks running 65 in a 45 to make up some time so thats reverse safety

yes-sheep.jpg
Purchase Transportation & Layoffs , bring it on , as the YES sheep are happy dancing ,cause they won this great contract by quickly voting yes with out reading the fine print !!

I believe that by taking the volunteer layoffs the drivers are actually letting the company continue to use purchased transportation. It sure would be nice if we had some real high quality Union leadership that would stay on top of this stuff and keep the members informed! If this is true no one should take voluntary layoff and let them off the hook!
Starts with the membership first.

I counted around 500 Purchased Transportation loads go out of 309 YRC Freight last month that is just one terminal! While bottom extra board drivers sit at home shame on the Union for allowing this crap and members voting yes.
As long as you gross less than $725.00 for six consecutive weeks (Carolina supplement) you can force a lay-off by grievances. That will get the contractors out of that barn only.

How much are they paying out in layover pay throughout the network plus run around claims from purchased transportation? I know a few grossing over $3000 week they send purchased transportation out when they are off rest they get paid layover meal plus the round around claims week after week!