ABF | Purchased Transportation

Has not stopped it one little bit. I filed grievances that got more than 10 drivers their hire date backdated so these drivers reached top pay sooner. Several started at top pay because article 29 in our contract calls for a driver to be hired for every 30 PT load pulled. This has not slowed the use of PT down either. I finally gave up and unless it directly affects me, "I don't give a ****."

I can understand your frustration. Often I was asked to file because the one was being affected was afraid management would retaliate against them. I was also asked to file when there was no violation. My response then was we can win a grievance but not a gripe. When I told them to write it up & I would take it to the hall usually they would say no. Every member working under a contract has the right to file but you must show how the contract is being violated to win. If there is a safety matter it must be addressed immediately & you have the right to refuse to do anything that is unsafe.

I can understand your frustration. Often I was asked to file because the one was being affected was afraid management would retaliate against them. I was also asked to file when there was no violation. My response then was we can win a grievance but not a gripe. When I told them to write it up & I would take it to the hall usually they would say no. Every member working under a contract has the right to file but you must show how the contract is being violated to win. If there is a safety matter it must be addressed immediately & you have the right to refuse to do anything that is unsafe.
Thanks Doc, been there, done that. According to Ron Cook (labor relations for Ga, Al, Ms Tn) by 2015 I filed more grievances on PT than any other ABF employee. I did get a few concession from ABF but nothing that curtailed the use of PT. I was able to argue my grievances in a PT grievance meeting. Where I had my pride handed to me because of agreements made at the bargaining table that are not included in the printed contract book. I finally figured out it was time to just walk away.

And Doc, we no longer take grievances to the hall. We take a photo of it, save it as a PDF file, and email it to the hall.

Has not stopped it one little bit. I filed grievances that got more than 10 drivers their hire date backdated so these drivers reached top pay sooner. Several started at top pay because article 29 in our contract calls for a driver to be hired for every 30 PT load pulled. This has not slowed the use of PT down either. I finally gave up and unless it directly affects me, "I don't give a ****."

Sounds like the hall does not give you much support. But the better question is how much support do you get from your fellow rank & file @ your barn? What % of your fellow Teamsters @ your barn attend the monthly freight meeting? I bet it's less than 15%. If the numbers I mentioned are correct, now wonder you gave up. Nobody cares or complains until it directly effects them. A lot of Measters very few Teamsters. von.

They can only run I think it’s 5%of miles by outside carriers slash shiny wheels. The kicker is that’s totally miles. Road city and UE miles all count. Should only be 5 percent of road miles