XPO | Quarterly Update / FedEx

Maybe

I know some of you follow such matters, but for those who don't, in case you didn't see the FedEx quarterly report today, remembering they do not use a traditional calender as most of us do...Their 3rd quarter ended last day of February:

FedEx Corp...reported a profit of 97 million dollars, down from 493 million in the previous quarter, or an 80.4% decline in the past 3 months..

FedEx Freight....reported a 59 million dollar loss in the quarter on a 21% revenue decline from the previous quarter...

The company said they believe the economy will begin recovery in the 2nd half of 2009, but in the meantime:

The company announced that there will be more "cost reduction measures" (sound familiar?), including more staffing reductions, totaling a billion dollars..
I seriously doubt this means Fred is giving up another 20% of his salary...

I don't offer these up as some way of gloating, those of you with sharp memories know I have 3 relatives working for them and wish no ill will toward the company...at least they work for the profitable part of the entity...

Just one point, I guess....we are not alone...

the drop in revenue was all the discounting they are doing to keep freight on the trucks?

I know some of you follow such matters, but for those who don't, in case you didn't see the FedEx quarterly report today, remembering they do not use a traditional calender as most of us do...Their 3rd quarter ended last day of February:

FedEx Corp...reported a profit of 97 million dollars, down from 493 million in the previous quarter, or an 80.4% decline in the past 3 months..

FedEx Freight....reported a 59 million dollar loss in the quarter on a 21% revenue decline from the previous quarter...

The company said they believe the economy will begin recovery in the 2nd half of 2009, but in the meantime:

The company announced that there will be more "cost reduction measures" (sound familiar?), including more staffing reductions, totaling a billion dollars..
I seriously doubt this means Fred is giving up another 20% of his salary...

I don't offer these up as some way of gloating, those of you with sharp memories know I have 3 relatives working for them and wish no ill will toward the company...at least they work for the profitable part of the entity...

Just one point, I guess....we are not alone...

There is one thing that everyone has got to understand, All these company's can play there numbers scare tactic games, There will NEVER be the freight volumes and profits that we/they once enjoyed. This comparing profits and losses to what it once was means nothing. We are now in a new cycle of lending and spending. We will NEVER see an economy like the past decade, That's gone forever. These company's will now adjust to a new economy that will not bring the profits they once loved.

There is one thing that everyone has got to understand, All these company's can play there numbers scare tactic games, There will NEVER be the freight volumes and profits that we/they once enjoyed. This comparing profits and losses to what it once was means nothing. We are now in a new cycle of lending and spending. We will NEVER see an economy like the past decade, That's gone forever. These company's will now adjust to a new economy that will not bring the profits they once loved.

You are entitled to your opinion, but to suggest that this is all an illusion is just devoid of reality...numbers are a very real part of this, and there are no companies I can think of that believe shrinking your way to success is the proper formula..

You are entitled to your opinion, but to suggest that this is all an illusion is just devoid of reality...numbers are a very real part of this, and there are no companies I can think of that believe shrinking your way to success is the proper formula..

Yes, It is a numbers game. Its all about the numbers to show the share holders. Just as the employee's are really nothing more than a number. Again, the large profits (numbers) from the past are long gone and will never return. These company's will strive to gain larger numbers, But first they will cut,cut,cut to adjust to the new economy. Again, my point was that these company's will never see the profits they once enjoyed. The spending and lending game is over.

Yes, It is a numbers game. Its all about the numbers to show the share holders. Just as the employee's are really nothing more than a number. Again, the large profits (numbers) from the past are long gone and will never return. These company's will strive to gain larger numbers, But first they will cut,cut,cut to adjust to the new economy. Again, my point was that these company's will never see the profits they once enjoyed. The spending and lending game is over.

we agree to disagree...