FedEx Freight | Question about Clocking out for lunch when working dock

mdf1576

TB Lurker
Credits
a new rule at our center. If working the dock and have to take a lunch, you have to clock out at dock stand walk 500yards to break room clean up eat lunch and clock back in at dock stand in 30 min. Just wondering if this is company policy, or company wide practice? TIA

a new rule at our center. If working the dock and have to take a lunch, you have to clock out at dock stand walk 500yards to break room clean up eat lunch and clock back in at dock stand in 30 min. Just wondering if this is company policy, or company wide practice? TIA
Are you saying you walk like a 125 doors? Each way?

Are you saying you walk like a 125 doors? Each way?
Doesn't matter.

You need to clock in ready to work, but... You should wash up BEFORE clocking to lunch, or out at end of shift, for that matter.

Sadly, it will probably take a call to H/R or the Hotline to correct this nonsensical CENTER rule.

Keep us posted.

It’s always been that way, you clock out before going to lunch...period. Most hubs have multiple time clocks, I’d find the one closest to the break room!! :1036316054:

The office workers clock out, leave to get something to eat, and by the time they return they only have like 5 mins or so before they have to clock back in...that’s just the way it works.

Doesn't matter.

You need to clock in ready to work, but... You should wash up BEFORE clocking to lunch, or out at end of shift, for that matter.

Sadly, it will probably take a call to H/R or the Hotline to correct this nonsensical CENTER rule.

Keep us posted.

Good advice HR will set the OP straight.

Not a new rule. I got hollered at for this a few years ago. Seemed stupid to clock out at the 140 dockstand and then walk 70 doors to take your break. But, nope, that's what FedEx wanted.
What's funny is I can do three different jobs in a day: Dreyage, Hostler, City. What freaking clock I'm I supposed to use during the course of my day?

Let me add that since then I've just taken the commonsense approach and clocked in or out of my current duty area. I've not gotten bothered since and decided that if I did get questioned my response would be that it's "better to ask forgiveness than ask permission".

Last edited:
It’s always been that way, you clock out before going to lunch...period. Most hubs have multiple time clocks, I’d find the one closest to the break room!! :1036316054:

The office workers clock out, leave to get something to eat, and by the time they return they only have like 5 mins or so before they have to clock back in...that’s just the way it works.
You have changed the subject a little bit. No one suggested NOT clocking out before going to lunch. The question was about which clock to use, and when.

When I come to work, my hands are clean. I should be able to wash them prior to clock out. After doing so, if they want me to walk past a perfectly good clock (near the restroom), to use the dock clock, fine. Not a problem.

Also no one cares what an office worker (or anyone else) does on their lunch break. MOST bring their lunch. They are certainly NOT expected to clock out AT THEIR DESK, are they?

The dirt on my hands is not Swamratt's dirt, it's FedEx'e dirt. The blood and sweat is all mine, not the dirt. Do you expect a mechanic to clock out with gobs of grease, grit and grime on his/her hands? Certainly NOT.

The rule enforcement suggested by the O/P is petty and unproductive. Many docks have more than one clock. One is generally close to the office. The intent is to be able to clock in/out in close proximity to the work area, not to prevent common sense efficiency, nor prevent washing hands on the clock.

Last edited:
Not a new rule. I got hollered at for this a few years ago. Seemed stupid to clock out at the 140 dockstand and then walk 70 doors to take your break. But, nope, that's what FedEx wanted.

Not a new rule to use the dock clock, BUT often the intent is lost on local leadership. FedEx does not expect you to go back out to the dock to clock out. If you are in the office on education, for example, you clock out in the break room.

And we wonder why perfectly good employees become disgruntled... :shrug:

You have changed the subject a little bit. No one suggested NOT clocking out before going to lunch. The question was about which clock to use, and when.

When I come to work, my hands are clean. I should be able to wash them prior to clock out. After doing so, if they want me to walk past a perfectly good clock (near the restroom), to use the dock clock, fine. Not a problem.

Also no one cares what an office worker (or anyone else) does on their lunch break. MOST bring their lunch. They are certainly NOT expected to clock out AT THEIR DESK, are they?

The dirt on my hands is not Swamratt's dirt, it's FedEx'e dirt. The blood and sweat is all mine, not the dirt. Do you expect a mechanic to clock out with gobs of grease, grit and grime on his/her hands? Certainly NOT.

The rule enforcement suggested by the O/P is petty and unproductive. Many docks have more than one clock. One is generally close to the office. The intent is to be able to clock in/out in close proximity to the work area, not to prevent common sense efficiency, nor prevent washing hands on the clock.
Hmmm, my bad, the original post didn’t say anything about having more than one time clock at the center, it just said “new rule was one must clock out at the dock stand, walk....” (not every center has multiple time clocks, most only have one)

Agreed, I got dirty on the clock, I’m getting clean on the clock...before I go to lunch...that’s a no brainer. The problem lies with those who go in to clean up prior, they also stand around and chat, heat up their lunch, grab a drink from the machine, etc, then go clock out and the company ends up punishing everyone because of it. Is it right, hell no, but that’s the millennial world we live in today...no longer can they single anyone out, they must punish everyone.

My point with the office workers is the same as the dock, they also have to hit the clock then walk to the break room. Unlike your center, our break room is across the dock...closer to the dock stand than the office...but the office workers don’t clock out at the dock stand because it’s closer to the break room, they use the clock in the office.

Troll here: One might ask "Which timeclock was used at the beginning of one's shift?" Mind you, a guy could play Devil's Advocate on this for a few posts, but I agree with "petty". Or bush league. Or chicken ::shit:: for that matter.