FedEx Freight | Question about Clocking out for lunch when working dock

FedEx policies prohibit any form of retaliation against a person who reports in good faith any known or suspected misconduct.

Reports may be made by telephone by calling 1.866.42.FedEx (1.866.423.3339) from the United States

They’ve had that rule (clocking out and in for lunc) at the center dock podium at our barn for years.
It’s all about the numbers. If you are walking to or from the break room to clock in or out, you are not being productive. Just walk carefully, we imagine getting hit by a fork on the platform is the same as getting hit by a hostler in the yard. You’ll get written up for careless walking.

Posting for a friend.

Hmmm, my bad, the original post didn’t say anything about having more than one time clock at the center, it just said “new rule was one must clock out at the dock stand, walk....” (not every center has multiple time clocks, most only have one)

Agreed, I got dirty on the clock, I’m getting clean on the clock...before I go to lunch...that’s a no brainer. The problem lies with those who go in to clean up prior, they also stand around and chat, heat up their lunch, grab a drink from the machine, etc, then go clock out and the company ends up punishing everyone because of it. Is it right, hell no, but that’s the millennial world we live in today...no longer can they single anyone out, they must punish everyone.

My point with the office workers is the same as the dock, they also have to hit the clock then walk to the break room. Unlike your center, our break room is across the dock...closer to the dock stand than the office...but the office workers don’t clock out at the dock stand because it’s closer to the break room, they use the clock in the office.
Agreed.

Some centers do seem to have clocks everywhere, others not so much.

I still think it's petty, and a sign of deeper issues within the local leadership. This nonsense is likely just the tip of the iceberg, IMHO.

Those that linger prior to clock out should be "coached" one on one, rather than punish the whole class with punitive nonsense. The term blow-back comes to mind.

Agreed.

Some centers do seem to have clocks everywhere, others not so much.

I still think it's petty, and a sign of deeper issues within the local leadership. This nonsense is likely just the tip of the iceberg, IMHO.

Those that linger prior to clock out should be "coached" one on one, rather than punish the whole class with punitive nonsense. The term blow-back comes to mind.
Agreed...but after looking back at this thread, I find the whole issue to be petty IMHO!!

First, regardless of whether being on the dock while off the clock is against company policy or not is irrelevant in this case. I’m almost certain that policy pertains to loitering, etc, not walking back and forth to the break room.

Second, while walking in today I had to walk by around 50 doors (on the yard) to get to dispatch...it took me less than a minute to do so. Really?? We’re going to make a big deal, even suggest to call the hotline, because we had to use less than two mins of our lunch break walking back and forth to the time clock...really?? Pretty damn petty if you ask me!!

I was taught long ago to pick my battles and this is one I definitely wouldn’t touch!! If one chooses to fight this battle, don’t be surprised if you’re reprimanded for spending less than two minutes talking about last night’s game while on the clock (stealing time from the company)...what’s good for the goose is good for the gander...and we all know there’s plenty of red purple shirted ganders walking around...just sayin’!!

I am a retired ABFer city board. So my thoughts have no meaning to the ones working. You have no Business Agent to put a stop to this petty crap. But, a action by a few on an entire shift can really put a stop to it. All the 7 or 8 am morning dock bids come the lunch break hour clock out & GO HOME SICK. Yes they will write you. But when they realize everybody stuck together to send a message, maybe the petty bull ::shit:: will ease up or stop. But if only 1 goes home, nothing is said. But the entire shift go home sick, speaks volumes. just saying. And do not change your reason for going home. You really were sick. A pounding headache that prevented you from safely doing you job. But the casual mention of the time clock crap will send a message also. von.

Agreed...but after looking back at this thread, I find the whole issue to be petty IMHO!!

First, regardless of whether being on the dock while off the clock is against company policy or not is irrelevant in this case. I’m almost certain that policy pertains to loitering, etc, not walking back and forth to the break room.

Second, while walking in today I had to walk by around 50 doors (on the yard) to get to dispatch...it took me less than a minute to do so. Really?? We’re going to make a big deal, even suggest to call the hotline, because we had to use less than two mins of our lunch break walking back and forth to the time clock...really?? Pretty damn petty if you ask me!!

I was taught long ago to pick my battles and this is one I definitely wouldn’t touch!! If one chooses to fight this battle, don’t be surprised if you’re reprimanded for spending less than two minutes talking about last night’s game while on the clock (stealing time from the company)...what’s good for the goose is good for the gander...and we all know there’s plenty of red purple shirted ganders walking around...just sayin’!!
Red, there are too many variables to get into each and every possible scenario. We have to factor in what would be considered reasonable. CLOCKING IN at your work area is reasonable. Being required to clock out prior to washing up, after handling freight for 3-6 hours, IS NOT.

I already said, "if they want me to walk past a perfectly good clock, in order to clock out at the dock stand, fine. Not A problem." But we know that is not the intent of this manager's directive.

Based on principal, I would certainly challenge this "rule", the first time I needed to wash off grease, or any significant "contaminants", prior to clocking out. And THAT call would be made ON the CLOCK, again based on principal.

Let's take note of this quote:
There's a time clock two feet from break room. We are forbidden to use it period.

FORBIDDEN to use it? Period? Really? 1st off, that is an inappropriate an unenforceable term, as it applies to this topic. 2nd, that is NOT the policy. Please, show me this in FedEx policy, on THIS topic.

The "tone" of this directive is all wrong, and would not be supported by the Company, or the policy. I'm more than certain, THE COMPANY does not want this nonsense.

Red, there are too many variables to get into each and every possible scenario. We have to factor in what would be considered reasonable. CLOCKING IN at your work area is reasonable. Being required to clock out prior to washing up, after handling freight for 3-6 hours, IS NOT.

I already said, "if they want me to walk past a perfectly good clock, in order to clock out at the dock stand, fine. Not A problem." But we know that is not the intent of this manager's directive.

Based on principal, I would certainly challenge this "rule", the first time I needed to wash off grease, or any significant "contaminants", prior to clocking out. And THAT call would be made ON the CLOCK, again based on principal.

Let's take note of this quote:

FORBIDDEN to use it? Period? Really? 1st off, that is an inappropriate an unenforceable term, as it applies to this topic. 2nd, that is NOT the policy. Please, show me this in FedEx policy, on THIS topic.

The "tone" of this directive is all wrong, and would not be supported by the Company, or the policy. I'm more than certain, THE COMPANY does not want this nonsense.
Really?? Does it take you like 15 mins to wash up?? You guys are really getting petty here!!

We’re not talking about mechanics who just replaced a 5th wheel, we’re talking dock guys who ride forklifts. If you’re “greasy” I’m sure no one would mind you washing up first, or anytime for that matter, on the clock. Honestly, how many times does one stop for a restroom break, on the clock, and nothing is said?? It’s all give and take.

Now we’re talking “tone” and words used...gimmie a break!! We’re not working at a daycare for millennials here, most of us are grown ass men and there’s no reason to get butt hurt because of tones and words!!

Come in, do as you're told, go home, and all will be fine...simple!!

Really?? Does it take you like 15 mins to wash up?? You guys are really getting petty here!!

We’re not talking about mechanics who just replaced a 5th wheel, we’re talking dock guys who ride forklifts. If you’re “greasy” I’m sure no one would mind you washing up first, or anytime for that matter, on the clock. Honestly, how many times does one stop for a restroom break, on the clock, and nothing is said?? It’s all give and take.

Now we’re talking “tone” and words used...gimmie a break!! We’re not working at a daycare for millennials here, most of us are grown ass men and there’s no reason to get butt hurt because of tones and words!!

Now that you've made your rounds to all sides of this issue (and back), it seems appropriate to add "& Co." to your screen name. We never know which voice will speak.

You would be unaffected by this policy, but imagine working with this kind of leadership. All day, every day. :argue:

You act like it's a big deal to challenge a local Manager's misguided policy. It's really not. I've wasted more time talking about it on here, than it would've taken to correct it, so these final thoughts will be brief.

The issue of concern, from the beginning, was being expected to clock out before washing up. Then there was the "forbidden clock". By the way, management is all about tone and words used to get people on board (or not).

Again, we wonder why perfectly good employees become disgruntled.

:shrug:

Last edited:
Now that you've made your rounds to all sides of this issue (and back), it seems appropriate to add "& Co." to your screen name. We never know which voice will speak.

You would be unaffected by this policy, but imagine working with this kind of leadership. All day, every day. :argue:

You act like it's a big deal to challenge a local Manager's policy. It's really not. I've wasted more time talking about it on here, than it would've taken to correct it, so these final thoughts will be brief.

The issue of concern, from the beginning, was being expected to clock out before washing up. Then there was the "forbidden clock". By the way, management is all about tone and words used to get people on board (or not).

Minor point: We "are" allowed to clock in up to 5 minutes late, correct? So while not being paid for it, the OP can still get a 30 minute lunch while having to clock out first before getting to the break room.

And I'm not disgruntled. I'm pretty well gruntled overall :)

For what it is worth -

I've been a dock worker for over eight years. Hopefully not being a driver doesn't make me unwelcome. Anyway...

On the shift prior to mine they had this same policy for a while. Someone finally made a complaint on the hotline about the prospect of getting injured off the clock while having to walk down about 50 doors while (at that time) about 20 lifts were zooming around in a concentrated area. These days it would be closer to 50. The policy was ended and hasn't been back in at least seven years.

I understand the logic in trying to reduce unproductive time on the dock, but I have never seen a single initiative actually work when it comes to this sort of thing. Unless they can devise a way for us to teleport from one place to another there is always going to be blank spots in production, and that's simply because part of the job doesn't translate into numbers.

There is such a thing as finding a lift, getting a breaker, driving to the door, opening it, matching up bills, and then if you start in the afternoon at a large hub opening every other loading door because the supervisors won't do it.

This coming from the same guy who calls in when he has a golf tournament and can't get off. You shouldn't really talk about Millennials when you have their tendencies. You think every thing is petty when it comes to employees vs the company. Any one that has been here long will realize you can't speak objectively

You act like it's a big deal to challenge a local Manager's misguided policy. It's really not. I've wasted more time talking about it on here, than it would've taken to correct it, so these final thoughts will be brief.

Classic misdirection response...no circling of the wagons here, my postition has always been to clock out before going to lunch...and yes, I would wash up before doing so. There’s nothing stopping anyone from taking a restroom break, washing up, then driving the lift to the dock stand to clock out for lunch, then walking back to the break room. Problem solved!!

I have worked with that type of leadership...many times over in my almost 24 years here...and the common denominator is that I’m still here and they’re not!!

Not a big deal at all to challenge leadership, I’ve done it many of times...IMHO it’s a petty waste of time in this case.

The “forebiden clock” is a non-issue!! There’s different types of leadership skills, “tone and words” is just one example of the old school way...which obviously doesn’t work with today’s millennials.

Perfectly good employees become disgruntled because they forget what it’s like to work somewhere else!! Just look at the responses from the “new guys” vs the “seasoned vets”...point proven!!

For what it is worth -

I've been a dock worker for over eight years. Hopefully not being a driver doesn't make me unwelcome. Anyway...

On the shift prior to mine they had this same policy for a while. Someone finally made a complaint on the hotline about the prospect of getting injured off the clock while having to walk down about 50 doors while (at that time) about 20 lifts were zooming around in a concentrated area. These days it would be closer to 50. The policy was ended and hasn't been back in at least seven years.

I understand the logic in trying to reduce unproductive time on the dock, but I have never seen a single initiative actually work when it comes to this sort of thing. Unless they can devise a way for us to teleport from one place to another there is always going to be blank spots in production, and that's simply because part of the job doesn't translate into numbers.

There is such a thing as finding a lift, getting a breaker, driving to the door, opening it, matching up bills, and then if you start in the afternoon at a large hub opening every other loading door because the supervisors won't do it.

Your idea of calling asking corporate if employees are still covered by insurance off the clock while walking to the break room, is much better than mine. If they allowed that to continue, first reportable accident to the insurance gets their undivided attention. And corporations do not want government officials or insurance underwriter inspectors walking around their properties. Those inspections show just how good or bad their operations really are. And usually have negative effect on their bank account. von

Classic misdirection response...no circling of the wagons here, my postition has always been to clock out before going to lunch...and yes, I would wash up before doing so. There’s nothing stopping anyone from taking a restroom break, washing up, then driving the lift to the dock stand to clock out for lunch, then walking back to the break room. Problem solved!!

I have worked with that type of leadership...many times over in my almost 24 years here...and the common denominator is that I’m still here and they’re not!!

Not a big deal at all to challenge leadership, I’ve done it many of times...IMHO it’s a petty waste of time in this case.

The “forebiden clock” is a non-issue!! There’s different types of leadership skills, “tone and words” is just one example of the old school way...which obviously doesn’t work with today’s millennials.

Perfectly good employees become disgruntled because they forget what it’s like to work somewhere else!! Just look at the responses from the “new guys” vs the “seasoned vets”...point proven!!

There’s nothing stopping anyone from taking a restroom break, washing up, then driving the lift to the dock stand to clock out for lunch, then walking back to the break room. Problem solved!!

Good answer to the problem. That's how ya beat the boss. Other than a Louisville Slugger. von.