XPO | Question about dockworking

kman711

TB Lurker
Credits
I got hired last week last few days I did videos still more next week. a few general questions IM part time as a dock worker.

1- Does each dock worker get his or her own freight to unload or load?

2- how much down time is there?

3- If im part time no more then a 5 hr shift how long of a break will i get usually? 10 min?

4-What will an average 5 hr shift for a part timeer consist of usaully?

Thanks just wanna get prepared for when I actually start working.

I got hired last week last few days I did videos still more next week. a few general questions IM part time as a dock worker.

1- Does each dock worker get his or her own freight to unload or load?

2- how much down time is there?

3- If im part time no more then a 5 hr shift how long of a break will i get usually? 10 min?

4-What will an average 5 hr shift for a part timeer consist of usaully?

It varies from barn to barn. I'm speaking in general terms here.

1. Unless a hot breaker comes in late its one man to a trailer.

2. Not too much on your shift. Your 4-6hrs are the peak of the cross dock.

3. In theory you get a 10min every 2 hrs. The white shirts may give you crap if you try and take them though.

4. Your hours will depend on the freight flow at your barn. When I was a casual we had slow nights where I'd have to take my sweet time sweeping the dock to get 4 1/2.

We have picked up a lot of business; right now "part time" is 30-35 hrs per week.

wow thankos for the tips 30-35 nice, well my supervisor said they changed the rules for part timers we can get no more than 25 hrs a week, and no more than 5 hrs a shift. I guess thats just depends on yer area.

what theory are you talking about. is it in writing somewhere that you get a 10 minute break every 2 hours. I have always been under the understanding that you get one 1/2 hour lunch break if you work over 6 hours and that is the only break you get.

wow thankos for the tips 30-35 nice, well my supervisor said they changed the rules for part timers we can get no more than 25 hrs a week, and no more than 5 hrs a shift. I guess thats just depends on yer area.

The 25 hour rule has been around for awhile at Central. It has something to do with the Labor Standards Act and qualifying for benefits. (There is a "Just In Case" built in cushion to prevent a part timer from reaching 30 hours)
You can work any amount of hours as long as you do not go past 8 hours in a day or 25 hours for the week.
However, they generally try to cap you off at 5 hours a day during peak hours for 5 days.
Be prepared to hit the ground running. It's fast paced.
Also be prepared to get your forklift swiped and exchanged for a pallet jack. It's all part of the "weight" game.

Good Luck....maybe you can go into the Driver Apprentice Program and get up to 40+ hours a week with overtime after 8 hours.

Not to be cynical, but you really don't get any breaks. Once the trailers hit the docks it's balls-out until finished. If you need to use the restroom or get a drink... take care of it and return to breaking freight. The reship dock is organized caos... high tempo, high speed human production. The drivers arrive, the freight is moved and the drivers leave. All hopefully in under 5 hours. You will get to see and handle every imaginable item of size and shape that will fit in a trailer for transport. It's the world's biggest 3-dimensional jigsaw puzzle with a timer. We're not digging ditches, just handling freight. No one has died of exhaustion... it's not a bad gig for a young guy. Most part-timers make more with us in 25 hours than their buddies do working 40 hours + in a factory.

I was told no two 15min breaks At my barn! If we get off the lift to get a snack Thats a break to our TM! So you should find out from the guys you work with! Or you might get fired for stealing time.

Kman711, you will learn quick that the real challenge to dock work is to break your trailer AND help others, also load freight off of the dock that builds up from OTHER lazy turds, it happens all of the time. Your trailer is important, but keep in mind the WHOLE dock is your job to, not just your trailer, you will see :)

Yes, you get a 10 min break after 2 hours, BUT it is a PAID break, and so the boss-man can tell you take it later, and since we are non-smoking now, they can even tell you WHERE to take it, meaning they do NOT have to "let you" go to the street for a smoke, hope you are a non-smoker anyway, as I SHOULD be, but haven't quit yet :(

Anyway, as other folks have already pointed out, you may or may not get breaks, especially as a part timer, only working 5 hours, not sure how that will pan out. Some times you just can't stop, the freight does come first, and again, any break you might get is at the mercy of the boss-man :(

I was told no two 15min breaks At my barn! If we get off the lift to get a snack Thats a break to our TM! So you should find out from the guys you work with! Or you might get fired for stealing time.
Check your state's dept of labor web site and find out what laws you have in your state about taking breaks.