Question regarding the maximum number of tours ABF will pays into the pension per calendar year.

Homesick

Retired
Credits
Can anyone tell me the maximum number of tours ABF will pay into the pension in a calendar year? I know ABF pays a maximum of 5 tour a week. I also know that 180 tours payed into the pension in a calendar year is considered a year in the pension. What I'm unsure about is if an employee works 5 days a week and 52 weeks a year; does ABF pay 260 tours into the pension that calendar year?

I know on the dock/city side in the Southern Region, each scheduled bid day you work, you are credited for one days credit up to 260 days on the year. If I am not mistaken, any holidays that fall on an unscheduled work day are also credited. My reasoning for this is because in past years, I have been credited for up to 265 days in a calendar year on the Central States web site and that is the only reason I can come up with for the extra credit beyond 260 days for that calendar year. So, I would assume that the road side would be similar but I don’t know that for a fact. I hope this helps you Homesick.

I know on the dock/city side in the Southern Region, each scheduled bid day you work, you are credited for one days credit up to 260 days on the year. If I am not mistaken, any holidays that fall on an unscheduled work day are also credited. My reasoning for this is because in past years, I have been credited for up to 265 days in a calendar year on the Central States web site and that is the only reason I can come up with for the extra credit beyond 260 days for that calendar year. So, I would assume that the road side would be similar but I don’t know that for a fact. I hope this helps you Homesick.
Thanks, I think 2018 was a leap year with 53 weeks in it........That number on Cental States web sight is what brought this up. I was told at a union meeting years ago that ABF only paid 180 pension contributions a year. And that those extra numbers above 180 were just to keep track of your total working history. Like looking at atwork and seeing 250 days tourds your vacation. Only 188 count for the road board. Every number after 188 earns nothing...... But last night I was told by another employee that all the numbers on Central States web sight were paid. Now I'm trying to figure which is true.

Thanks, I think 2018 was a leap year with 53 weeks in it........That number on Cental States web sight is what brought this up. I was told at a union meeting years ago that ABF only paid 180 pension contributions a year. And that those extra numbers above 180 were just to keep track of your total working history. Like looking at atwork and seeing 250 days tourds your vacation. Only 188 count for the road board. Every number after 188 earns nothing...... But last night I was told by another employee that all the numbers on Central States web sight were paid. Now I'm trying to figure which is true.
This was my 2020 earnings report from ABF. If you notice, the pension contribution for the year was $17,784.00 for the year. If you divide that by 52 work weeks, it comes up to $342.00 per week or $68.40 per day for 260 days which is what the company paid in on my behalf each week/day per Article 51 (Article 58 Road) of the Southern Region Supplemental Agreement. The leap year thing would explain the extra five days beyond the 260, but I have had other years where I was credited for 264 days, 262 days, etc… That is where I came up with the holiday theory of mine, but that was just my theory for the extra days credit.

C9B849C2-90EB-46C2-ABD6-2060DC675C13.md.jpg

Last edited:
This was my 2020 earnings report from ABF. If you notice, the pension contribution for the year was $17,784.00 for the year. If you divide that by 52 work weeks, it comes up to $342.00 per week or $68.40 per day for 260 days which is what the company paid in on my behalf each week/day per Article 51 (Article 58 Road) of the Southern Region Supplemental Agreement. The leap year thing would explain the extra five days beyond the 260, but I have had other years where I was credited for 264 days, 262 days, etc… That is where I came up with the holiday theory of mine, but that was just my theory for the extra days credit.

Thanks Steward, I have one of those statements somewhere. I should have looked at it! Now I feel like I do when I walk into the kitchen and have no idea why I came there LOL.

That statement made me think of peachy...only thing is he would multiply his wages times 52 then add in his PTO...lol....not understanding he was then counting his PTO twice...I wonder what that putz is up to now?

Thanks Steward, I don’t know why phone won't let me post pictures anymore. We have at least 3 road drivers who are retiring the end of this year. And a couple more that say they will be retiring in 2022, so I thought that picture may be helpful to those employees. It is helpful in understanding what our pension will pay and how the pension pay is figured.