ABF | Question

1FastVette

TB Lurker
Credits
Is there any ABF terminal.That runs on 8 hour shift. All time paid on the clock.

Or is all there terminals set up at 8.5 hour shift. Half hour lunch not paid for?

Just curious.

Thanks..

Is there any ABF terminal.That runs on 8 hour shift. All time paid on the clock.

Or is all there terminals set up at 8.5 hour shift. Half hour lunch not paid for?

Just curious.

Thanks..
Where do you come up with an 8.5 hour shift? An 8 hour shift or work day is just that, 8 hours of work with 1/2 or 1 hour lunch typically in the middle of the shift. That has been a typical/standard work day for ages in all kinds of industries. Are you one of the oddballs who wants to work 8 or more hours straight through without taking a lunch break? You claim to have been around for a number of years already so why is this concept so difficult for you to understand?

Where do you come up with an 8.5 hour shift? An 8 hour shift or work day is just that, 8 hours of work with 1/2 or 1 hour lunch typically in the middle of the shift. That has been a typical/standard work day for ages in all kinds of industries. Are you one of the oddballs who wants to work 8 or more hours straight through without taking a lunch break? You claim to have been around for a number of years already so why is this concept so difficult for you to understand?
At 063 when working a 8 hour shift. U get 2 ten minutes breaks paid for. Plus a half lunch that is not.

So u really are only getting paid for 7.5 hours out of a 8 hour shift.

At 063 when working a 8 hour shift. U get 2 ten minutes breaks paid for. Plus a half lunch that is not.

So u really are only getting paid for 7.5 hours out of a 8 hour shift.
I've never heard of a 7.5 hour work day although I'm not saying it doesn't exist. Unless you are asked to work through lunch by the company why would you expect to get paid for that time? That's your time to do whatever you want, eat, sleep, shop, whatever.

Just curious.

Thanks..
Ohio is not a right to lunch state. So you work 3 and half hours, take an hour unpaid lunch, then work another 3 and a half. Then go home and get on TB and ask more questions.

Just curious.

Thanks..
As far as I know, your breakbulks are the only ones that have the opportunity to work the “straight eights” with the 30 minute paid lunch. But, without the two ten minute breaks. This is done to prevent overlapping shifts which is a nightmare when it comes to seniority. I know here at the Rock, we are a breakbulk operating 24-hours a day. We have a 7am-3pm shift, a 3pm-11pm shift, and an 11pm-7am shift. Working the “straight eights” with the paid lunch and without the two ten minute breaks keeps the supervisors from screwing up seniority and having a stack of 30-minute grievances filed against them daily. Article 54., Section 3. in the Southern Region Supplement.

328D9A8F-4376-45D2-A26A-FFC61795BF55.md.jpg

I got to take an unpaid lunch myself, but I do have a 66 mph truck so I can get through towns and school zones quicker to get home 5 minutes faster....
Yeah, those silly pedestrians think those cross-walks and walk-ways have some kind of invisible walls to protect them from on-coming traffic. LOL!!!
I guess BRG never has to worry about the school zones though. If he were approaching one before school started, classes would already be dismissed by the time he reached it.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yeah, those silly pedestrians think those cross-walks and walk-ways have some kind of invisible walls to protect them from on-coming traffic. LOL!!!
I guess BRG never has to worry about the school zones though. If he were approaching one before school started, classes would already be dismissed by the time he reached it.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

051B59EF-7747-4044-940B-AD80E443B244.md.jpg

As far as I know, your breakbulks are the only ones that have the opportunity to work the “straight eights” with the 30 minute paid lunch. But, without the two ten minute breaks. This is done to prevent overlapping shifts which is a nightmare when it comes to seniority. I know here at the Rock, we are a breakbulk operating 24-hours a day. We have a 7am-3pm shift, a 3pm-11pm shift, and an 11pm-7am shift. Working the “straight eights” with the paid lunch and without the two ten minute breaks keeps the supervisors from screwing up seniority and having a stack of 30-minute grievances filed against them daily. Article 54., Section 3. in the Southern Region Supplement.

328D9A8F-4376-45D2-A26A-FFC61795BF55.md.jpg
In the NJ/NY Supplement, if a driver was asked to work through lunch, he was paid time and a half for that hour and was also allowed 20 minutes for time to eat while on the clock.

Just curious.

Thanks..
You need to talk to your steward, if your an end of the line terminal & a combination board you get a 1/2 hour lunch un paid to be taken between your 4th & 6th Hour. So if you start at 9 am, your 8 hours are up at 5:30, everything after that is overtime. You need to get a copy of the contract , Your steward should be able to obtain this for you, if not you can get it off the IBT website, You will follow the article's underneath the "Central States Cartage Agreement" & of course the first 39 articles that apply to everyone coast to coast under the Nat'l ABF agreement.

Contract links with the IBT: https://teamster.org/2018-2023-abf-national-master-freight-agreement-and-supplements/

Last edited: