ABF | Questions about extra board at Dayton terminal

ExtraBoardLife

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm in the process of being hired as a Road Driver. Can anybody give me insight on what to expect? Is there runs? Will I make decent money starting out?

I'm in the process of being hired as a Road Driver. Can anybody give me insight on what to expect? Is there runs? Will I make decent money starting out?
I don’t work out of that terminal,but I do see them in Atlanta. They work weekends and stay out several dispatches . They seem to stay busy.

you will work every weekend on the bottom. You will work, no schedule. Think about it before you start. Free insurance and retirement, it takes 5 years to be fully vested in pension. It’s a hard lifestyle with a family and young kids. Some guys love the job, good company. If you work Monday through Friday with weekends off,I would think hard on the decision. Good luck.

you will work every weekend on the bottom. You will work, no schedule. Think about it before you start. Free insurance and retirement, it takes 5 years to be fully vested in pension. It’s a hard lifestyle with a family and young kids. Some guys love the job, good company. If you work Monday through Friday with weekends off,I would think hard on the decision. Good luck.

I'm married with two young kids, 4 and two. I work Monday through Friday, some Saturdays. Personally, I think I would love the job and the company, but it's not about me these days. Trying to find the balance of providing and still watching the kids grow. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

I'm married with two young kids, 4 and two. I work Monday through Friday, some Saturdays. Personally, I think I would love the job and the company, but it's not about me these days. Trying to find the balance of providing and still watching the kids grow. Damn if you do, damn if you don't.
Think about the no cost healthcare & pension, that’s big….Let’s be honest all these trucking jobs suck….

If mommas not happy nobody will be happy :wink:

If mommas not happy nobody will be happy :wink:
My kids are grown and I am getting close to retirement.guys with young families do have marriage problems as a over the road truck driver. It’s hard to be with wife and kids.your kids are very young. There will be many things you will miss as a over the road driver. On the other hand money and insurance is great.Some women can handle it and others will not..divorce.. I have seen guys give up there families for the job And chase freight all other the US. I am giving you the worst case scenario. Kids grow fast, but a retirement check will be great to have after the kids are grown

My kids are grown and I am getting close to retirement.guys with young families do have marriage problems as a over the road truck driver. It’s hard to be with wife and kids.your kids are very young. There will be many things you will miss as a over the road driver. On the other hand money and insurance is great.Some women can handle it and others will not..divorce.. I have seen guys give up there families for the job And chase freight all other the US. I am giving you the worst case scenario. Kids grow fast, but a retirement check will be great to have after the kids are grown
Good insurance and a pension won't bring back time missed watching kids grow up and won't make you happy if you're divorced and alone

Good insurance and a pension won't bring back time missed watching kids grow up and won't make you happy if you're divorced and alone
Probably wouldn’t be to happy working until you die, at least with your pension check you can buy companionship every now and again. Or you can be a city driver where you still miss a lot of stuff but at least you’re home every night. Or you can stay away from trucking all together & go to a trade school where you will have more home time then trucking….

Probably wouldn’t be to happy working until you die, at least with your pension check you can buy companionship every now and again. Or you can be a city driver where you still miss a lot of stuff but at least you’re home every night. Or you can stay away from trucking all together & go to a trade school where you will have more home time then trucking….
You'd be pretty pathetic if you have to buy companionship, just keep the one you have already and you wouldn't have to worry about it. The majority of people don't receive a pension and dosen't have to work until they die. That's a absurd statement.

My kids are grown and I am getting close to retirement.guys with young families do have marriage problems as a over the road truck driver. It’s hard to be with wife and kids.your kids are very young. There will be many things you will miss as a over the road driver. On the other hand money and insurance is great.Some women can handle it and others will not..divorce.. I have seen guys give up there families for the job And chase freight all other the US. I am giving you the worst case scenario. Kids grow fast, but a retirement check will be great to have after the kids are grown.
My wife is supportive, for now. My boy is 4, I worry how he's going to handle this. My girl is 2, as long as mommy's around, she's good. I guess we don't know until we try. I appreciate your advice and things to think about. Congratulations on you closing in on retirement.

I would do P&D if I was you. Most places have linehaul run options on weekends for extra $. You can put in 50 hours in the city and still make $80,000 or more. Home every night M-F with the option to work on weekends.