ABF | Questions about extra board at Dayton terminal

I would do P&D if I was you. Most places have linehaul run options on weekends for extra $. You can put in 50 hours in the city and still make $80,000 or more. Home every night M-F with the option to work on weekends.
Not in the Southern Region Supplement. Article 40/Section 3 in the Local Pickup and Delivery Supplement, and Article 40/Section 6 in the Over-The-Road Supplement both clearly state the following. "Under no circumstances will out of classification employees be utilized in Over-The-Road operations". Even with a "Local Agreement" in place, I don't think there is any way to honor such an agreement at an away terminal. This practice would have multiple grievances filed on it. But again, I am speaking for the Southern Region Supplement. Other supplements may allow this practice.

Last edited:
Not in the Southern Region Supplement. Article 40/Section 3 in the Local Pickup and Delivery Supplement, and Article 40/Section 6 in the Over-The-Road Supplement both clearly state the following. "Under no circumstances will out of classification employees be utilized in Over-The-Road operations". Even with a "Local Agreement" in place, I don't think there is any way to honor such an agreement at an away terminal. This practice would have multiple grievances filed on it. But again, I am speaking for the Southern Region Supplement. Other supplements may allow this practice.
I assume this has changed, in my days PIE ran city and dock guys on extra trips out of Charl.

I'm in the process of being hired as a Road Driver. Can anybody give me insight on what to expect? Is there runs? Will I make decent money starting out?
I know a few drivers that run for that particular location - they stay busy. If they need time off , they take themselves off the board ( if I understand correctly ) The low guys usually are driving on the weekends. They don't do a reset but go by how many hours they have available.

The newest driver that I know told me he's on track for $95k during his first full year.

There's no front gate on that terminal ( that I can remember )- they're always open and running !

Good luck with whatever you decide!

You will make good money and we are busy now. My advice get past the first year. Once you get past there you will stay. It is an adjustment to get used to but trust me, you will be making best career decision of your life. I started in May of 2014. Heard all the layoff talks. So I saved a lot of money by thanksgiving just in case I got laid off. Never have been laid off. It does happen. But Dayton is busy busy. Good luck and tell Flip I said hello. He is great guy!

The job is not really OTR. No one I know is ever gone 2 or 3 dispatches unless they ask to stay out.do some tours, take the ato and stick it out. With little ones, the insurance alone is worth it. If the Dayton board is like some of the others, they may have alot of eligible retirees. You may move up to a comfortable spot in a little while. You never know..

My kids are grown and I am getting close to retirement.guys with young families do have marriage problems as a over the road truck driver. It’s hard to be with wife and kids.your kids are very young. There will be many things you will miss as a over the road driver. On the other hand money and insurance is great.Some women can handle it and others will not..divorce.. I have seen guys give up there families for the job And chase freight all other the US. I am giving you the worst case scenario. Kids grow fast, but a retirement check will be great to have after the kids are grown
Truth if I’ve ever heard it on TB! I see this all the time sadly. The job gives and the job takes away.

I have 17 years @ ABF Indy and all city board. My experience tells me the road is much easier on your body. More injuries, scrapes, and the likes you will suffer on the city board. And some you won't realize until your mid to late 50's. I am sure the road has it's issues also. But from a medical standpoint, the city board will be much harder on your body. Money wise, the citywith 15 hours a week overtime is about 62,000 a year. The road board if you want to run, about 100,000 a year. I am retired 5 years from ABF but those figures are pretty close. Good luck. von.

I have 17 years @ ABF Indy and all city board. My experience tells me the road is much easier on your body. More injuries, scrapes, and the likes you will suffer on the city board. And some you won't realize until your mid to late 50's. I am sure the road has it's issues also. But from a medical standpoint, the city board will be much harder on your body. Money wise, the citywith 15 hours a week overtime is about 62,000 a year. The road board if you want to run, about 100,000 a year. I am retired 5 years from ABF but those figures are pretty close. Good luck. von.
15 hours a week overtime at ABF is 85 k gross.

Your figures are way off!! Ask any doctor what's worse on your body sitting around for 10- 12 hours a day or out moving around for 10 -12 a day.

Can't disagree with that. Von.
I see your point Von. Much higher chance of tweaking something and causing irrevocable damage handling freight, especially to non-dock customers. I worked with several guys in the city in the past that have irreversible nerve damage due to man handling rolls of carpet at customers who didn’t have the proper equipment to handle them. Other various nagging shoulder and knee injuries as well from various stunts just trying to get the freight off. Then the flip side is becoming a lethargic obese / overweight linehaul driver that has let himself go for decades of being sedentary and not eating correctly or exercising. It’s tough to get to the hotel or home and exercise and really get the blood pumping after working against your circadian rhythm for 500-600 miles 5-6 nights a week in adverse and stressful conditions a lot of times. The body will pay in some form or another, especially for those who aren’t extremely mindful.

I see your point Von. Much higher chance of tweaking something and causing irrevocable damage handling freight, especially to non-dock customers. I worked with several guys in the city in the past that have irreversible nerve damage due to man handling rolls of carpet at customers who didn’t have the proper equipment to handle them. Other various nagging shoulder and knee injuries as well from various stunts just trying to get the freight off. Then the flip side is becoming a lethargic obese / overweight linehaul driver that has let himself go for decades of being sedentary and not eating correctly or exercising. It’s tough to get to the hotel or home and exercise and really get the blood pumping after working against your circadian rhythm for 500-600 miles 5-6 nights a week in adverse and stressful conditions a lot of times. The body will pay in some form or another, especially for those who aren’t extremely mindful.
Just look at the condition of the seats in the road tractors. They mostly lean to the right.

You will make good money and we are busy now. My advice get past the first year. Once you get past there you will stay. It is an adjustment to get used to but trust me, you will be making best career decision of your life. I started in May of 2014. Heard all the layoff talks. So I saved a lot of money by thanksgiving just in case I got laid off. Never have been laid off. It does happen. But Dayton is busy busy. Good luck and tell Flip I said hello. He is great guy!
It's been a long process, HR and management will be confirming my start date next week. I appreciate everyone's advice! I'm ready to get going!

I would do P&D if I was you. Most places have linehaul run options on weekends for extra $. You can put in 50 hours in the city and still make $80,000 or more. Home every night M-F with the option to work on weekends.
If you do P&D! You will be lugging Freight off the trailer and into garages all Day long, And sometimes nights. Take it from someone who has been at ABF for over 20 years. It just gets worse year after year. And Yes I will be outta here real soon

If you do P&D! You will be lugging Freight off the trailer and into garages all Day long, And sometimes nights. Take it from someone who has been at ABF for over 20 years. It just gets worse year after year. And Yes I will be outta here real soon
That's not true at all! Yes you will have residential stops like that, but not all day long. What gets worse? I've been doing P&D for 18 years and it really hasn't change that much except for some residential deliveries.