ODFL | Questions from a new guy

crash41

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello All,

I just applied/interviewed at the local terminal to work on the dock. I have my CDL, but no experience. The TM was very interested in sending me to the OD CDL training program. Can you help the new guy here with some questions?

1. What will my pay be during cdl training?
2. What will my pay be after training, CPM and Hourly, what is the graduated scale?
3. What does the term "running wild" mean and will I have to do this?
4. How often do they run CDL programs?
5. Any other advice for someone brand new?

Thanks in advance!
John

john the first three depends on where you live we have run three classes in the last two months the no exp is not a problem if you went through a school you should only do couple of weeks of training with trainer any more i can help you with let me know

hourly in pa is alittle over 20.00hr around .50 cpm now with that said i'm east coast you would be midwest region so might be a little different just talk to some of our drivers the can fill you in as far as the company its self i've been here 11yrs not planning on going anywhere else good luck

Milage pay while training is.39cpm I believe it goes up to.42 at completion of training.Basically running wild means you don't have a bid run,some wild drivers stay close to home they just cover for other drivers sick,vacations,or extra freight runs,some wild drivers choose to stay out for overnight,weekly,or longer trips.I'm a trainer out here in KS I've trained two drivers this year,just graduated one a couple of weeks ago,the other in march,OD generally tries to match the number of classes to anticipated demand at area terminals,the one they held at the first of the year at Denver was the first they had held in this area for about 18 months,the driver that just finished his training with me came from a community college truck driving school in OK.

Thanks for the info guys... This might be a stupid question, but keep in mind I'm brand new... If you're running wild and you overnight somehwere where do you sleep if you're in a day cab?