Quiz for the old-timers PIC

Would see a kid (lol I was a kid too) from Industrial at Mead Products in Garden Grove. Would always shoot the BS with him. When IF closed, didn’t see him for a while until one day a Conway truck pulled up next to me and it was him. Would see him at some stops every now and then for years, until he told me he was quitting to help run a family business. Years later, I saw an Estes truck coming up the other side of the street and, you guessed it, it was him back in the business.
Wonder who it was... I worked out of the Industrial terminal in Anaheim for a little bit. I believe that terminal is now O.D. I went to G.I when Industrial closed, but left well before Estes acquired them.

Came across this old sales flyer from a previous employer of mine. Artwork done in 1988. How many of these cartoon caricatures of the competition can you name? Any of them still around under the same name? I'm thinking NONE of them still exist.

Scan-3.md.jpg I remember/recognize almost all of them, but stumped on a few.
Do you remember Bestway, before TNT bought them?

Yes, but only vaguely. I started in LTL in '87. I think they were acquired by TNT shortly after that. Anybody remember "System 99"?
Of course. My first “Armstrong” truck. Lol
I think Richard Cranium (RC) worked for them and that’s how he became a Viking.

Do you remember Bestway, before TNT bought them?
I do. When Reddaway wanted rights into California they tried to buy Nielsen Freight Lines where I worked. Owner wouldn't sell and about a few years later he dropped dead from a heart attack in corporate office in Petaluma, Ca. 45 years old.

I do. When Reddaway wanted rights into California they tried to buy Nielsen Freight Lines where I worked. Owner wouldn't sell and about a few years later he dropped dead from a heart attack in corporate office in Petaluma, Ca. 45 years old.
I knew the guy who owned Bestway. As a driver, he settled with the banks and took the risk when the original owner declared bankruptcy in the late 50’s or early 60’s. Up until recently, he and his family owned all the original Bestway terminals. The most notoriously nasty was YRC Calexico.

I knew the guy who owned Bestway. As a driver, he settled with the banks and took the risk when the original owner declared bankruptcy in the late 50’s or early 60’s. Up until recently, he and his family owned all the original Bestway terminals. The most notoriously nasty was YRC Calexico.
Even the illegals don't want to live in Calexico.

Of course. My first “Armstrong” truck. Lol
I think Richard Cranium (RC) worked for them and that’s how he became a Viking.
I hostled in one of those old System 99 "Armstrong" tractors. On top of the lack of P/S, we'd have to hop out to the pull the pin, roll the landing gear up/down, no auto trans, almost all the trailers were swing-doors. Fun times.

I hostled in one of those old System 99 "Armstrong" tractors. On top of the lack of P/S, we'd have to hop out to the pull the pin, roll the landing gear up/down, no auto trans, almost all the trailers were swing-doors. Fun times.
Ol’ Tilton was a cheap bastard…….:17142:

El, what color were their trucks? I can only remember the orange and white TNT colors. I remember when Reddeway came into California, their city trucks were all red. But it didn’t last long until they were orange and white too.

My memory isn’t what it used to be. Did TNT buy Reddeway or were they bought by USF and were part of Bestway until they both merged?

El, what color were their trucks? I can only remember the orange and white TNT colors. I remember when Reddeway came into California, their city trucks were all red. But it didn’t last long until they were orange and white too.

My memory isn’t what it used to be. Did TNT buy Reddeway or were they bought by USF and were part of Bestway until they both merged?
Reddaway bought what was left of TNT, NA. About 50 terminals. Then changed the name to USF Reddaway who then owned USF Bestway as a result of the TNT purchase. Then YRC bought USF and merged Bestway into Reddaway. I didn’t make it out west as home base till 85, but I had seen Bestway and Reddaway trucks in CA in the late 70’s.
Can’t remember the colors.

Reddaway bought what was left of TNT, NA. About 50 terminals. Then changed the name to USF Reddaway who then owned USF Bestway as a result of the TNT purchase. Then YRC bought USF and merged Bestway into Reddaway. I didn’t make it out west as home base till 85, but I had seen Bestway and Reddaway trucks in CA in the late 70’s.
Can’t remember the colors.
Pilot Freight out of Winston Salem N C got bought out in that deal someway.