Trailer is loaded for you
No dockwork, ever
Assigned trailer and door for bids
Plenty of work
They like to have you off street
By 1930.
Lifetime bids
Paid for all time

Don't think I'd like your (lifetime bids) I liked bidding every 6 mos.

Don't think I'd like your (lifetime bids) I liked bidding every 6 mos.
Yeah, that's why I listed them under both pros and cons. I got lucky and scored a good one that a number of senior guys to me signed but scratched at the last minute. We have several drivers that have been in the same route for 20 years or more. One has been in his area for 27 years. If you've got a board with a bunch of mid forty year olds above you, you may never get s bid you like. They're going to have to chase me off mine with a baseball bat! And they better be able to swing like Babe Ruth!

Ever notice all our city trailers have lift gates? They are not for looks. Try unloading 4,000lbs of hardwood floor with a lift gate, it's not exactly fun or easy. Oh and after that you might have 3,4,5 or more stops that require the lift gate. Take a drive thru your town and look at all the businesses that don't have docks and factor in the residential deliveries. Don't want to deter you but the fact is only a few routes will be nothing but bumping docks. Some things to think about.
I refuse to move that much weight with a jack. Safety issue. They won’t fire you for that, but you may get more hand freight as a result

One thing to clarify on lifetime bids for those that aren't R&L employees, we are not locked into the bids for a lifetime. If someone quits or retires, their bid is posted. As long as you have been on your bid for 1 calendar year, you can sign the bid. If you take a bid and don't like it, you can come off it but are not allowed to rebid for the calander year from when you signed and you do not go back to your old bid. You are in essence a floater. I know some games are played by management at a terminal sometimes , but a call to The Emerald Palace in Wilmington usually gets things straight.

How are the medical benefits for an employee and spouse (no kids)?
I’m lucky enough to have no health issues but my wife just had a kidney transplant 3 months ago. I’m currently insured with Blue Cross/Blue Shield with my current employer and I will say that, although the pay is pretty poor, the medical insurance isn’t bad.
I’m paying $550.00 per month for the both of us and that includes med/dental/vision. After my deductable of, I believe $3000.00 for a family, I pay 10%, insurance pays 90%.
Obviously, medical is very important to me.
Does R&L offer decent plans? How much for their best plan for husband and spouse? Deductables? Co-pays? Is the carrier BCBS?

One thing to clarify on lifetime bids for those that aren't R&L employees, we are not locked into the bids for a lifetime. If someone quits or retires, their bid is posted. As long as you have been on your bid for 1 calendar year, you can sign the bid. If you take a bid and don't like it, you can come off it but are not allowed to rebid for the calander year from when you signed and you do not go back to your old bid. You are in essence a floater. I know some games are played by management at a terminal sometimes , but a call to The Emerald Palace in Wilmington usually gets things straight.
Unfortunately too often it takes a call to HR to get new bids posted.

Ever notice all our city trailers have lift gates? They are not for looks. Try unloading 4,000lbs of hardwood floor with a lift gate, it's not exactly fun or easy. Oh and after that you might have 3,4,5 or more stops that require the lift gate. Take a drive thru your town and look at all the businesses that don't have docks and factor in the residential deliveries. Don't want to deter you but the fact is only a few routes will be nothing but bumping docks. Some things to think about.
Been pulling a liftgate for 5-6 years maybe use it once a month

Ya’ know, I never even thought to ask this;
What’s the deal with working weekends? Is R&L even open on Saturday and Sunday? If so, are they regularly scheduled days or is it volunteer basis?

Ya’ know, I never even thought to ask this;
What’s the deal with working weekends? Is R&L even open on Saturday and Sunday? If so, are they regularly scheduled days or is it volunteer basis?
Depending on location there may be weekend work. It's voluntary first and if they can't get anyone they will force bottom up. Generally it will be some sort of guarantee or residential on weekend P&D. Weekend linehaul is just that, handling extra schedules that regular linehaul can't cover. I've been with the company for just about 10 years and have never been forced to do anything on the weekend. All of my weekend work was voluntary.