R&L | R+L Opportunity - what to expect right out of CDL school?

Motobecane

TB Lurker
Credits
What can a new driver fresh out of CDL school expect for training if hired at R+L Carriers? If hired as a Combo driver, how might my 60-70 hour week look (especially 'worst case scenario'). Thank you.

What can a new driver fresh out of CDL school expect for training if hired at R+L Carriers? If hired as a Combo driver, how might my 60-70 hour week look (especially 'worst case scenario'). Thank you.
Let's put it this way....you aren't ready for P&D at any company. cripes. get real please. get some experience going over the road. If anyone hires you to do P&D....I will :438:

Let's put it this way....you aren't ready for P&D at any company. cripes. get real please. get some experience going over the road. If anyone hires you to do P&D....I will :438:

You done talking to yourself there Satan?

Does anyone who actually works at R+L have some information to share?

You done talking to yourself there Satan?

Does anyone who actually works at R+L have some information to share?
Oh and btw combo drivers are on duty for maybe 70 hours and might get paid for 35. Maybe. Come to Dallas and see for yourself

Oh and btw combo drivers are on duty for maybe 70 hours and might get paid for 35. Maybe. Come to Dallas and see for yourself

I see you have a big hang up against rookies. That's ok, and while you have shown me no reason to give you a shred of respect for your experience, I'll give it to you anyway. In other words, you don't deserve it, but experience is what it is and I'll recognize you for it.

Next. Most of my instructors were former ltl drivers, both line haul and p&d and by far most of them never drove ftl otr. Are you seeing where this is going? These guys were 20 to 40 year men who never drove ftl otr, i.e., they started as rookies in the ltl industry with companies like Holland, Yellow, Roadway, and Conway. Digest that and compare it to your own understanding. Either this is entirely new news to you or you're simply a proud fool making things up about rookies and ltl. Which is it?

Finally, you actually began to answer my original and polite question about what I might expect as a new hire at R+L. So, the way polite conversations work is like this. I ask for clarification on something you said and we have a nice conversation. Are you up for that? Here goes: Please explain how a combo driver could be literally on duty, in either the truck, at a customer or terminal, or on the dock and not be paid for all of his or her time?

TBH, your “training,” will consist of riding around with another p&d driver for a week if you’re lucky, then it’s straight to the wolves, at least and my terminal, and you’ll probably be doing around 50-55 hrs a week, most likely p&d during the week, and you may be forced to come on some weekends to do line haul. Of the 4 guys that were hired out of CDL school the past year at my terminal, only 1 remains, the others had too many accidents. And like the other driver said, P&D isn’t ideal for somebody straight out of truck school, it can be tricky as hell. Ideally your terminal would have you run the yard goat for a few months before putting you on the street, but that probably won’t happen.

TBH, your “training,” will consist of riding around with another p&d driver for a week if you’re lucky, then it’s straight to the wolves, at least and my terminal, and you’ll probably be doing around 50-55 hrs a week, most likely p&d during the week, and you may be forced to come on some weekends to do line haul. Of the 4 guys that were hired out of CDL school the past year at my terminal, only 1 remains, the others had too many accidents. And like the other driver said, P&D isn’t ideal for somebody straight out of truck school, it can be tricky as hell. Ideally your terminal would have you run the yard goat for a few months before putting you on the street, but that probably won’t happen.

Thank you. I can imagine the treachery of it all for a rookie, i.e., not knowing where they are going, tight and awkward backing situations, unfamiliarity with customer's receiving routines and hours, etc. Not to mention being on a time line with freight that can make or break a customer's productivity for that day or week, or worse. Traffic, DOT inspections, equipment failures, weather, and long hours (compared to a 40). Did I forget anything?

I have had two phone interviews with LTL companies where I was told point blank that they only hire drivers with previous P&D experience . My 2+ years of OTR experience didnt count for anything. To anyone wanting to work for an LTL I would suggest they don't waste their time doing OTR.

Used to be 1 year experience, it has now been changed to 6 months.
I suggest anyone starting at R+L to start on linehaul/combo position
but only if you are able to work dock/ or deliver some bulk stuff, where
there is no pressure. Linehaul here for a rookie does not pay very well,
thats why you need to add alittle something else til your raises kick in.
but linehaul does not have the pressure that city has for new hires. Just
dont dick around in truck stops and you'll be fine.

You sound like you might have a good head on your shoulders. Your likely to work a lot of hours that you might not be happy working including weekend linehaul and when its slow you will be sitting at home not working. When on the city, take your time, don't try to keep up with the senior drivers in terms of numbers. You will not be able to and you will make mistakes and possibly damage property and equipment. Listen to the drivers willing to give you advice but remember, some are full of ::shit::. Ask questions of the senior drivers, we are senior because we have put up with the changing bullshit for a long time and managed to still stay here. Lastly, your young and new so, try to have fun. Enjoy your new experience as a driver. Most of us old hats don't really enjoy it anymore, myself included. Ive been driving 33 years now and 15 of those have been with R+L. I can tell you, the grass is only a different shade of green on the other side of the fence but they are all fertilized with bullshit.

When I started at R+L, it was 5 years verifiable experience.

I have had two phone interviews with LTL companies where I was told point blank that they only hire drivers with previous P&D experience . My 2+ years of OTR experience didnt count for anything. To anyone wanting to work for an LTL I would suggest they don't waste their time doing OTR.
And, oddly enough, my 33 years with the first 5 being OTR and the rest local, don't mean ::shit:: to OTR companies. Crazy, isn't it?

Please explain how a combo driver could be literally on duty, in either the truck, at a customer or terminal, or on the dock and not be paid for all of his or her time?
If your a combo driver in any of those situation as a city driver, you would be on the clock. The only time you wouldn't be paid is if your on linehaul and you are waiting for your cut at the terminal or and your turnpoint and they don't want you to work the dock, then you wont be paid for waiting.

You will probably start as a combo and run linehaul/dock for 6-12 months. Don't tear anything up and do a good job it might be sooner for p&d. It'll also depend on manpower and freight volume. You'll start out with another driver maybe a week or a few weeks just depends on when they feel comfortable on cutting ya loose by yourself. Remember if your on LH most run nights. YOUR sleep is more important than anything else! Be prepared, every night will be different for you. 600+ miles one night or 300 miles plus dock work the next. Until you get a LH or p&d bid your hours will be different. Winters are usually slow so plan ahead for 1-3 days off a week.

Good luck and be safe

You sound like you might have a good head on your shoulders. Your likely to work a lot of hours that you might not be happy working including weekend linehaul and when its slow you will be sitting at home not working. When on the city, take your time, don't try to keep up with the senior drivers in terms of numbers. You will not be able to and you will make mistakes and possibly damage property and equipment. Listen to the drivers willing to give you advice but remember, some are full of :::shit:::. Ask questions of the senior drivers, we are senior because we have put up with the changing :horseshit: for a long time and managed to still stay here. Lastly, your young and new so, try to have fun. Enjoy your new experience as a driver. Most of us old hats don't really enjoy it anymore, myself included. Ive been driving 33 years now and 15 of those have been with R+L. I can tell you, the grass is only a different shade of green on the other side of the fence but they are all fertilized with :horseshit:.

Thank you, I appreciate your advice!

You will probably start as a combo and run linehaul/dock for 6-12 months. Don't tear anything up and do a good job it might be sooner for p&d. It'll also depend on manpower and freight volume. You'll start out with another driver maybe a week or a few weeks just depends on when they feel comfortable on cutting ya loose by yourself. Remember if your on LH most run nights. YOUR sleep is more important than anything else! Be prepared, every night will be different for you. 600+ miles one night or 300 miles plus dock work the next. Until you get a LH or p&d bid your hours will be different. Winters are usually slow so plan ahead for 1-3 days off a week.

Good luck and be safe

Thank you, this is valuable information for me.

Sounds good, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I see you have a big hang up against rookies. That's ok, and while you have shown me no reason to give you a shred of respect for your experience, I'll give it to you anyway. In other words, you don't deserve it, but experience is what it is and I'll recognize you for it.

Next. Most of my instructors were former ltl drivers, both line haul and p&d and by far most of them never drove ftl otr. Are you seeing where this is going? These guys were 20 to 40 year men who never drove ftl otr, i.e., they started as rookies in the ltl industry with companies like Holland, Yellow, Roadway, and Conway. Digest that and compare it to your own understanding. Either this is entirely new news to you or you're simply a proud fool making things up about rookies and ltl. Which is it?

Finally, you actually began to answer my original and polite question about what I might expect as a new hire at R+L. So, the way polite conversations work is like this. I ask for clarification on something you said and we have a nice conversation. Are you up for that? Here goes: Please explain how a combo driver could be literally on duty, in either the truck, at a customer or terminal, or on the dock and not be paid for all of his or her time?
Oh cripes. You need a crying towel right? Get over it. I'm months from retirement and all I am saying is most LTL companies will not hire you out of the box! Nuff said