FedEx Freight | Raises 2019

We've heard this narrative before. If you don't like it leave. But...

Many of us remember when we were the highest paid (non-union) carrier out there. Back when it was actually something to qualify to be hired here. Stacks of applications, etc. That changed. Wages/benefits relative to the competition declined. Today, a lot depends on location, due to a flawed GPD (pay scale) system.

Correct, but what you and most fail to realize is that we no longer work for those small, family oriented companies anymore...now it’s big bad FX. Gone are the “good ole days” never to return, regardless of how bad we wish they would...and that was obvious from day one of the takeover when FX did away with Business Principal #6: HAVE FUN!!

Keeping it short, Yes the option to leave is there, if not happy. Most ANYONE who works here is more than qualified to work just about anywhere they choose. FACT. As long as their safety record is good.

The challenge/goal/concern for most is keeping / making FedEx Freight the best place to work. That is also the stated goal of most Corporate communications. Is that negative? I think not. In order to continue to grow, you have to attract and retain the best. To do that, you have to actually be the best. Not just talk about it...

:smilie93c peelout:

Great point and certainly a factor. In fact, 5 weeks vacation would be an even better deterrent, keeping people from leaving.
:6799:

Just curious...why would we expect FX to offer a benefit such as 5 weeks vac to retain drivers when there’s NO mass exodus of drivers to begin with?? And I don’t see any other company offering 4-5 weeks of vac to start for highly qualified drivers in order to attract such talent!!

I have to agree with @Razorblade, if there’s no problem with hiring drivers using the current compensation pkg, why would they offer more?? Because some think we deserve it?? Because other companies offer more?? Again, not wanting to sound negative but as long as no one is leaving for “greener pastures”, FX has no interest in changing any more than they have to...and that’s smart business!!

How about if you don’t like it here then “change it” for the better instead of leaving it.
We sure are trying but then you get a few guys on here happy with staus quo a
Correct, but what you and most fail to realize is that we no longer work for those small, family oriented companies anymore...now it’s big bad FX. Gone are the “good ole days” never to return, regardless of how bad we wish they would...and that was obvious from day one of the takeover when FX did away with Business Principal #6: HAVE FUN!!

Just curious...why would we expect FX to offer a benefit such as 5 weeks vac to retain drivers when there’s NO mass exodus of drivers to begin with?? And I don’t see any other company offering 4-5 weeks of vac to start for highly qualified drivers in order to attract such talent!!

I have to agree with @Razorblade, if there’s no problem with hiring drivers using the current compensation pkg, why would they offer more?? Because some think we deserve it?? Because other companies offer more?? Again, not wanting to sound negative but as long as no one is leaving for “greener pastures”, FX has no interest in changing any more than they have to...and that’s smart business!!
And the rich get richer. C'mon Red big bad FedEx is making money hand over fist on the backs of it's employees. Put your company man rhetoric back in the closet and lighten up we deserve a raise.

While today we are pretty much fully staffed, 6 months ago we were not. 6 Mo. from now we may well be struggling to attract "qualified" drivers again.

Why might they add another weeks vacation to the mix? For one, it costs less than the typical hiring bonus. Cheaper than training new drivers. It would be a perk that is a cut above most competitors. Also it will keep veterans around a bit longer.

Just panting the seed, brother. Somebody needs to do it. I do recall, a couple years back FedEx Canada started offering 5 weeks vacation. So, you see, it not beyond possibility.

While today we are pretty much fully staffed, 6 months ago we were not. 6 Mo. from now we may well be struggling to attract "qualified" drivers again.

Why might they add another weeks vacation to the mix? For one, it costs less than the typical hiring bonus. Cheaper than training new drivers. It would be a perk that is a cut above most competitors. Also it will keep veterans around a bit longer.

Just panting the seed, brother. Somebody needs to do it. I do recall, a couple years back FedEx Canada started offering 5 weeks vacation. So, you see, it not beyond possibility.
Back in the day we had stricter qualifications in order to obtain a driving job here and that usually produced good quality drivers...nowadays they’ll take anyone with a pulse and that produces what we have today...

I see your point and I too would love to see a 5th, or even a 6th week, but why would they when they don’t have to...it doesn’t make business sense. There isn’t a shortage of applicants and most have forgotten what it’s like to work elsewhere!!

Correct me if I’m wrong but FX Canada outsourced all of their drivers to contractors and their dock/office associates to staffing agencies...so who are they offering the 5th week to, management?? No thank ya!! :17113:

We sure are trying but then you get a few guys on here happy with staus quo a

And the rich get richer. C'mon Red big bad FedEx is making money hand over fist on the backs of it's employees. Put your company man rhetoric back in the closet and lighten up we deserve a raise.
When did I say we didn’t “deserve” a raise?? If you “think” I’m a “company man” you obviously don’t know me...I’m a realist!!

Non-business minded people trying to tell a business how to run their business...this is why most private sector union companies fail!!

When did I say we didn’t “deserve” a raise?? If you “think” I’m a “company man” you obviously don’t know me...I’m a realist!!

Non-business minded people trying to tell a business how to run their business...this is why most private sector union companies fail!!
You said it yourself read what you wrote are package is just fine why change it. Company man? You got me wondering now.

You said it yourself read what you wrote are package is just fine why change it. Company man? You got me wondering now.
My mentioning of our compensation pkg was in reference to another week of vac, not a yearly raise...we have no problem attracting drivers only offering 4 weeks max of vac

My mentioning of our compensation pkg was in reference to another week of vac, not a yearly raise...we have no problem attracting drivers only offering 4 weeks max of vac

It’s something how they can even keep the rotating door filled for some Chicagoland locations. CGX to MDW pays 7 miles each way. That’s considered a “road bid”

It’s something how they can even keep the rotating door filled for some Chicagoland locations. CGX to MDW pays 7 miles each way. That’s considered a “road bid”
I thought they changed the policy that any “road run” under X miles would be paid by the hour...and in that heavy Chicago traffic it could possibly take a driver a couple hours to make that 7 mile trip!! :1036316054:

I thought they changed the policy that any “road run” under X miles would be paid by the hour...and in that heavy Chicago traffic it could possibly take a driver a couple hours to make that 7 mile trip!! :1036316054:
You can file run time delay after a certain time period has passed (it’s supposed to automatically kick in)

I hear if you are delayed while enroute to the golf course, while off duty, you can still claim caddy fees.
Told by a friend.