R&L | Raises

i dont care what crap they try to feed us. this company is making damn good money, and they have ZERO intention on giving us back anything anytime soon. im not sure what exactly has went wrong with this company since about '07, but this job has turned into nothing but something i have to do to pay my bills until something better comes along.
i cant speak for anybody but me, but i have absolutely no pride, faith, or trust in r&l anymore. we work hard everyday to get the job done, and no matter how much we get the job done, it is never enough because our insane tm didnt get a big enough performance bonus that month. it wasnt always like this, r&l used to be a damn good company in my opinion. now ALL that matters is stops per hour, because after all, no matter how much we made the company this week, it always could have been better, right????
and if we are LUCKY, maybe we might get our personal days back by january, but i wouldnt hold my breath!!!

the days of having ANY pride in this horribly run company are long gone. its nothing but a pay check until something better comes along

i dont care what crap they try to feed us. this company is making damn good money, and they have ZERO intention on giving us back anything anytime soon. im not sure what exactly has went wrong with this company since about '07, but this job has turned into nothing but something i have to do to pay my bills until something better comes along.
i cant speak for anybody but me, but i have absolutely no pride, faith, or trust in r&l anymore. we work hard everyday to get the job done, and no matter how much we get the job done, it is never enough because our insane tm didnt get a big enough performance bonus that month. it wasnt always like this, r&l used to be a damn good company in my opinion. now ALL that matters is stops per hour, because after all, no matter how much we made the company this week, it always could have been better, right????
and if we are LUCKY, maybe we might get our personal days back by january, but i wouldnt hold my breath!!!

the days of having ANY pride in this horribly run company are long gone. its nothing but a pay check until something better comes along

Couldn't of said any better!!!!

What went wrong with this company are 3 things...1.Obama was elected, thus the economy went to hell....2.They Hired Zimmerman and the bunch from YRC, and gave them free reign....3.Senior turned away from what he built, and is allowing Roby and Zimmerman to treat the employee's like crap..Now, everyone hates their job, "EVERYONE", and now they are not buying any new equipment, and everything that is driven and pulled is JUNK.

What went wrong with this company are 3 things...1.Obama was elected, thus the economy went to hell....2.They Hired Zimmerman and the bunch from YRC, and gave them free reign....3.Senior turned away from what he built, and is allowing Roby and Zimmerman to treat the employee's like crap..Now, everyone hates their job, "EVERYONE", and now they are not buying any new equipment, and everything that is driven and pulled is JUNK.

only problem is that the economy went to hell, but r&l actually got BUSIER.
every employee knows this, but yet we had to sit back and let them take our personals, our cost of living, and watch them spend the money that should have went to our 401k on those 300 pups they bought from the parent company of NEMF.(and that is just a piece of the pie i am sure) they did all this NOT because they had to so they could stay competitive, they did it just because they could. how about you guys who were saving your personals(obviously that also means you guys hadnt called out at all that year because you wouldnt have had any left) and they said tough crap you lose out? they could have AT LEAST compensated you in some way, but no, the disgusting greed and arrogance that is now running this company would not allow it. and they pulled this stuff when we were busy as all hell to pump up their numbers from last year. thanks.
for some reason the brain trust at r&l thinks we dont talk to any other companies, or read at all. because if they did they would realize that most of us get what they are doing, and when it comes to a company rising above the competition and being the best, you HAVE HAVE HAVE to have your employees on board with you to make that happen. and when you keep taking, and keep telling us that no matter how hard we are working, you want us to do better or there is the damn door, its making it very hard for an employee to go that extra mile, and do that little bit extra to make r&l be a stand out company that people want to use.
its not rocket science, and its not a bunch of cry babies wanting whats not owed to them.

I can't disagree with anything you said...The personal days being taken from those who hadn't used them, was R&L bending them over......If they don't realize soon what they are doing, the union will be brought in by the R&L employee's..You are exactly right, R&L got busier, and the employee's were were taken from because they could, and because of greed.
only problem is that the economy went to hell, but r&l actually got BUSIER.
every employee knows this, but yet we had to sit back and let them take our personals, our cost of living, and watch them spend the money that should have went to our 401k on those 300 pups they bought from the parent company of NEMF.(and that is just a piece of the pie i am sure) they did all this NOT because they had to so they could stay competitive, they did it just because they could. how about you guys who were saving your personals(obviously that also means you guys hadnt called out at all that year because you wouldnt have had any left) and they said tough crap you lose out? they could have AT LEAST compensated you in some way, but no, the disgusting greed and arrogance that is now running this company would not allow it. and they pulled this stuff when we were busy as all hell to pump up their numbers from last year. thanks.
for some reason the brain trust at r&l thinks we dont talk to any other companies, or read at all. because if they did they would realize that most of us get what they are doing, and when it comes to a company rising above the competition and being the best, you HAVE HAVE HAVE to have your employees on board with you to make that happen. and when you keep taking, and keep telling us that no matter how hard we are working, you want us to do better or there is the damn door, its making it very hard for an employee to go that extra mile, and do that little bit extra to make r&l be a stand out company that people want to use.
its not rocket science, and its not a bunch of cry babies wanting whats not owed to them.

I know I am looking to move on. But I will only go when the time is on my side. I work harder and longer for the same pay as I did last year, It makes me mad that I lose a day's pay when I need to go to a doctor.

Most of the guys I work with at my terminal are looking to move on, we are just looking for the right opportunity. A couple of years ago, no-one thought they would ever want to leave. That is what Zimmerman and the **** poor management R&L brought over from YRC has done for us.
I know I am looking to move on. But I will only go when the time is on my side. I work harder and longer for the same pay as I did last year, It makes me mad that I lose a day's pay when I need to go to a doctor.

Just remember, busy doesn't always show you are making money.
Fedex Freight increased their shipments by 26% and managed to lose $107 Million.

FEDEX results from earlier this year.

LTL unit loses $107 million in quarter despite 26 percent surge in shipments
FedEx Freight’s losses nearly doubled in the quarter ending Feb. 28, despite a surge in revenue and shipments in the three-month period. The rising loss was attributed to highly discounted pricing in the trucking market and higher purchased transportation costs.

An 84 percent increase in purchased transportation costs accounted for $87 million of FedEx Freight’s $107 million loss. Without that increase, its loss would have been $20 million -- a 66 percent improvement over the $59 million loss last year.

The increase in purchased transportation came as more freight flowed into FedEx Freight’s network. Its revenue increased 14 percent to $1.04 billion. FedEx Freight handled 26 percent more shipments per day, moving 83,400 shipments on average.

but fedx was moveing that freight almost for free. r&l isn't, there no discount here. and for that person that said obama was one of the reason this,all this start befoer he got in office. this was all r&l they make the choice here no one esle

Yea it started before he got in office, but after he was elevted...The economy went to hell after he was elected...(2 months before he took office)That was the first time R&L laid anyone off, November 2008...
but fedx was moveing that freight almost for free. r&l isn't, there no discount here. and for that person that said obama was one of the reason this,all this start befoer he got in office. this was all r&l they make the choice here no one esle

Just remember, busy doesn't always show you are making money.
Fedex Freight increased their shipments by 26% and managed to lose $107 Million.

FEDEX results from earlier this year.

LTL unit loses $107 million in quarter despite 26 percent surge in shipments
FedEx Freight’s losses nearly doubled in the quarter ending Feb. 28, despite a surge in revenue and shipments in the three-month period. The rising loss was attributed to highly discounted pricing in the trucking market and higher purchased transportation costs.

An 84 percent increase in purchased transportation costs accounted for $87 million of FedEx Freight’s $107 million loss. Without that increase, its loss would have been $20 million -- a 66 percent improvement over the $59 million loss last year.

The increase in purchased transportation came as more freight flowed into FedEx Freight’s network. Its revenue increased 14 percent to $1.04 billion. FedEx Freight handled 26 percent more shipments per day, moving 83,400 shipments on average.

yeah they are doing so bad that they still managed to give their drivers raises. oh and ive noticed they are also doing bad enough that they are managing to buy new equipment.
i love when you guys(salesman and company fellas) throw this out about how BAD fed ex freight is doing. really? do you guys really want us to buy into this horses**t? its fed ex for Gods sake. i believe what you are saying about the numbers, but guess what, they are ONLY GETTING BIGGER BY THE DAY! i dont care about what the numbers say when you stare at them. like tagalong37 said, those numbers reflect alot when they were doing that big discount, which r&l didnt do.
please spare us if you are trying to say r&l isnt making money.
and if that is the crap that r&l is going to throw at us when they finally (maybe) address the raise/personal days/401k issue, they are truly a clueless bunch. the shot that they will be putting into employee morale might just affect that oh so important bottom line. you cant keep telling your employees bold face lies about how the company is doing to better your own financial standings.it will come back to bite you.
throw this one numbers and that ones losses etc. all you want. its not happening at r&l, and all of your damn employees know it.
we accepted what you took from us in stride, because the economy was so bad then that we just accepted it as what was going on in this business. ITS NOT LIKE THAT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE US BACK WHAT YOU TOOK. WE ARE THE ONES THAT GOT YOU WHERE YOU ARE NOW, AND WE JUST WANT WHAT IS OURS, NOTHING ELSE.

Sad part is we aren't alone.I was talking to a Conway guy today and if I didn't know he was with Conway I would have thought he was with R+L.Seems they are getting crapped on as much as we are.

Ya, I think all trucking companies are taking advantage. I work for Reddaway and its the same over here. I have buddies at old dominion and fed ex ( I've been driving a while) and its the same over at those places. There are drivers on lay off and companies know it. They can replace you easily. It's not like it was in the mid 90's to mid 2000's. You couldn't find a qualified driver if your life depended on it. Now, they're every where.

Gosh do you ever speak the truth..I can feel the frustration in your words, and the problem is, just like most of us, just a couple of years ago, your blood ran R&L green..I know mine did. What they have done over the last couple of years bringing in the nuts from YRC, and destroying the employee's morale is tragic. The cost to the bottom line is incalculable.If R&L don't start turning from their wicked ways of treating their employee's like ****, they will pay the price in a way that will bring the company to its knee's.
yeah they are doing so bad that they still managed to give their drivers raises. oh and ive noticed they are also doing bad enough that they are managing to buy new equipment.
i love when you guys(salesman and company fellas) throw this out about how BAD fed ex freight is doing. really? do you guys really want us to buy into this horses**t? its fed ex for Gods sake. i believe what you are saying about the numbers, but guess what, they are ONLY GETTING BIGGER BY THE DAY! i dont care about what the numbers say when you stare at them. like tagalong37 said, those numbers reflect alot when they were doing that big discount, which r&l didnt do.
please spare us if you are trying to say r&l isnt making money.
and if that is the crap that r&l is going to throw at us when they finally (maybe) address the raise/personal days/401k issue, they are truly a clueless bunch. the shot that they will be putting into employee morale might just affect that oh so important bottom line. you cant keep telling your employees bold face lies about how the company is doing to better your own financial standings.it will come back to bite you.
throw this one numbers and that ones losses etc. all you want. its not happening at r&l, and all of your damn employees know it.
we accepted what you took from us in stride, because the economy was so bad then that we just accepted it as what was going on in this business. ITS NOT LIKE THAT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE US BACK WHAT YOU TOOK. WE ARE THE ONES THAT GOT YOU WHERE YOU ARE NOW, AND WE JUST WANT WHAT IS OURS, NOTHING ELSE.

richard said it start when obama got in office. i don't no where you been it start before he got in the office .they had a meet at the white house with bush. like i said before bush and obama don,t have anything to do with r&l they never was hurting because by them laid off driver we still was busy.they r just greed cut the work force and make everybody work hard and longer i didnt see freight level in chicago or atl drop .they been moving freight like crazy because they been buy and built terminal

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that whatever happens in this company will be decided by the large service centers like Chicago and New York.If those locations start to lean on Wilmington whether that be going union or just raising a stink will be what makes a difference.Small locations like mine don't mean squat to to big wigs and if we complain or heaven forbid talk union they will just squash us.

TM says I'll get a raise in 90 days. Step increases not frozen. No inflation. Paying down my debt. Top scale not touched by the Owners. TM says PTO/Sick days suspended, but not gone forever.