New Penn | Ralph Jelleyman : "Seeking answers in death"

Being a organ donor is commendable. But keep in mind certain donations require body temperature and regulating of its own fluids to and from the organs.

So after death is declared, if there is no donor recipient ready at that moment (More in a sec) your body is hooked up to life support blood and lung bypass. You will be kept at normal vitals until such time the donor recipient arrives.

At that point you will be taken to the OR suite where there is a special surgeon waiting. Your body will be strapped down because once the chopping begins, your body will jerk and fall off the table on it's own based on automatic reflexes against severe pain.

The Surgeon has one thought only. Get to that particular organ extremely fast. Once chopped out and everything is harvested, your remains go to whomever is able to claim it. If not? Sent to the Crematory. If it is your heart they are after it will be beating and functioning when they chop that out. You would have died twice.

If you were a donor and you are declared dead in trauma or something, they will wait about 90 seconds. Then start chopping. YOU probably will be on your way out feeling the last of that. But that too shall pass.

I cannot donate. if I did it would be rejected for a variety of good reasons including preexisting damage and so on.

I'm aware of the various situations for organ donation. I was in the room with Artie to pay my respects to him and his family. They were very gracious to allow a couple of his friends in on Sun morning. He was brain dead but on life sustaining equipment to keep his organs alive for harvest. Out of respect, I'll spare the details, but what I observed and felt convinced me to become an organ donor. His oldest son, Marco had relayed to us afterward the various organs that were given. Even down to his corneas. Heart, liver, kidneys, bone marrow. The gift of life to others.

I remember people talking about a confrontation with a SalSon driver. It never got resolved or confirmed. Artie Weitzel was a good friend. Was going home that morning to take his boys xmas shopping. Didn't make it past Wyomissing. Somehow he hit a car left on the shoulder.
I remember Artie. I was working in the yard, I believe it was a Saturday morning. He was glad it was raining, he said that means his kids won't have soccer that day. He can go home and sleep. Ugh Artie didn't make it to the next terminal.

I was unaware Artie is no longer with us. I moved south almost 20 years ago. Artie was one of a kind. I worked with him at Lentz around 1980-81. I can still see him struttin' in like he owned the place, great guy to work with.
RIP Artie....

I'm aware of the various situations for organ donation. I was in the room with Artie to pay my respects to him and his family. They were very gracious to allow a couple of his friends in on Sun morning. He was brain dead but on life sustaining equipment to keep his organs alive for harvest. Out of respect, I'll spare the details, but what I observed and felt convinced me to become an organ donor. His oldest son, Marco had relayed to us afterward the various organs that were given. Even down to his corneas. Heart, liver, kidneys, bone marrow. The gift of life to others.
Marco worked on the dock with us. His dad was a piece of work. Flip flops. Tank top. Sunglasses at night. Funny guy. Like he was going on vacation.

Henry Munger was in a car accident on his way home a couple weeks ago. He didn't make it home. I haven't seen an obituary. His son Mike also worked on the dock with us back then. PT. Same time period that Artie's son Marco worked on dock PT.