R&L | Random Drug Testing

Recap Slinger

TB Lurker
Credits
I read on Transport Topics that starting Jan 1, 2020, carriers will be required to test 50% of their drivers, up from 25%. I have no problem with taking a random, but now that the odds of getting pulled for one are increasing, it would be nice to get paid to do it. In 20+ years I’ve only gotten paid for one. Our regional manager, Steve F. had a meeting with us earlier this year and told us we’re going to start getting paid for it, but the next day he told us he was mistaken and we will keep doing it off the clock..

Up here in Connecticut, we are always paid for a random. They try to trick you to come in early for some reason and after you punch in, they give you the paperwork and send you off.

Up here in Connecticut, we are always paid for a random. They try to trick you to come in early for some reason and after you punch in, they give you the paperwork and send you off.
Total opposite here, the give us the paperwork and tell us to clock out. We had one TM that let us stay on and he got chewed out over it. We’ve made calls to Wilmington over the years and have always been told it’s to be done off the clock. I always hate when I get picked when I’m walking out the door to start my day only to clock out for a hour or two and come back and be behind all day.
When Zimmerman, Bullard, & Ford came to our terminal in ‘18 this was brought up in the meeting. Bob Z said if the company as a whole can reduce the cost of claims, it would be something they would consider paying us for... When the Linehaul drivers asked about getting paid for hours of wait time at the terminals, Steve F told them, “Nobody’s getting paid to sit on their ass and do nothing except me”. Hey, but like they said, “We’re all family here”.

Last edited:
Total opposite here, the give us the paperwork and tell us to clock out. We had one TM that let us stay on and he got chewed out over it. We’ve made calls to Wilmington over the years and have always been told it’s to be done off the clock. I always hate when I get picked when I’m walking out the door to start my day only to clock out for a hour or two and come back and be behind all day.
When Zimmerman, Bullard, & Ford came to our terminal in ‘18 this was brought up in the meeting. Bob Z said if the company as a whole can reduce the cost of claims, it would be something they would consider paying us for... When the Linehaul drivers asked about getting paid for hours of wait time at the terminals, Steve F told them, “Nobody’s getting paid to sit on their ass and do nothing except me”. Hey, but like they said, “We’re all family here”.

Wow. And they would consider paying for drug testing if the company could reduce claims? The ones driving the forklifts and causing those claims get paid for all their time, even when they’re fuc***g up freight. What a crock. Glad everything is paid for in California at least, linehaul wait time, pallet jacks, and even work boots.

Wow. And they would consider paying for drug testing if the company could reduce claims? The ones driving the forklifts and causing those claims get paid for all their time, even when they’re fuc***g up freight. What a crock. Glad everything is paid for in California at least, linehaul wait time, pallet jacks, and even work boots.
As much as they push our dock guys for bills per hour it’s amazing that anything stays intact.
That would be nice if they paid everyone company wide like that!

Unionize!
That's why I'm here, the union. Started off with Carolina till they merged with ABF. Not enough whiskers, out of a job. Worked casual at CF, even if they had hired me, out of a job again. Union? No thank you. They outlived their usefulness when they protect a functional drunk's job and leave me without one and when the leadership makes the same and lives as well as the CEOS and board members of the companies they vilify. Had a belly full of the union crap, go peddle it somewhere else.

That's why I'm here, the union. Started off with Carolina till they merged with ABF. Not enough whiskers, out of a job. Worked casual at CF, even if they had hired me, out of a job again. Union? No thank you. They outlived their usefulness when they protect a functional drunk's job and leave me without one and when the leadership makes the same and lives as well as the CEOS and board members of the companies they vilify. Had a belly full of the union crap, go peddle it somewhere else.
Keep getting screwed over on unpaid time at work then no overtime!

Keep getting screwed over on unpaid time at work then no overtime!
I have ZERO unpaid time at work. I do 50-55 hours a week at 29.02 an hour, FYI 55 hours a week at 50 weeks a year plus 2 vacation
Is just over 80,000 annually, so yeah if you think I'm being screwed I believe I'll take it. 80k a year at a non union gig vs. no job after 2 union gigs, again I'll take the non union getting screwed gig.

I have ZERO unpaid time at work. I do 50-55 hours a week at 29.02 an hour, FYI 55 hours a week at 50 weeks a year plus 2 vacation
Is just over 80,000 annually, so yeah if you think I'm being screwed I believe I'll take it. 80k a year at a non union gig vs. no job after 2 union gigs, again I'll take the non union getting screwed gig.
Are those 10-15 hours per week overtime paid at time-and-a-half? Asking for a friend. If not, then you’re getting screwed alright...just in a different way.

Are those 10-15 hours per week overtime paid at time-and-a-half? Asking for a friend. If not, then you’re getting screwed alright...just in a different way.
Have you read my replies? I should be unemployed rather than work for a decent non union company? That's ridiculous. No one is getting screwed but the union guys paying into CSPF .

I dont particularly appreciate bein told how to vote

Have you read my replies? I should be unemployed rather than work for a decent non union company? That's ridiculous. No one is getting screwed but the union guys paying into CSPF .
Yes...that fund is in pretty bad shape. Lots of other funds doing quite well though...mine included. I’m sorry the two union places that you worked at felt it necessary to implement a lay-off. Terrible thing. That happened to me at Roadway several years ago, and at the very next job I had as well. Those were rough years on the family, without question. But, I stuck with it, made some ‘cuts’ to the family budget, etc. Got a job at a non-union carrier for a couple of years during the ‘Depression’ and then hired on at ABF Freight where I rode out the years of being on the bottom, getting the crappy routes, and working outbound dock AFTER my 200-mile loop route...sometimes not clocking out until 9:30 or 10pm, and finally retiring from there after 25 years in the Teamsters Union. I guess it’s all in where you ‘wanna’ be. If you’re happy, that’s all that counts. If you like what you’re doing, you never ‘work’ a day in your life. Not a day goes by that I don’t thank the ‘Big Boss’ up there for the way things turned out. I got lucky...my patience paid off. Best of luck Brother Ted!

PS: I PM’d you. Drop me a line sometime.