R&L | Random Drug Testing

Yes...that fund is in pretty bad shape. Lots of other funds doing quite well though...mine included. I’m sorry the two union places that you worked at felt it necessary to implement a lay-off. Terrible thing. That happened to me at Roadway several years ago, and at the very next job I had as well. Those were rough years on the family, without question. But, I stuck with it, made some ‘cuts’ to the family budget, etc. Got a job at a non-union carrier for a couple of years during the ‘Depression’ and then hired on at ABF Freight where I rode out the years of being on the bottom, getting the crappy routes, and working outbound dock AFTER my 200-mile loop route...sometimes not clocking out until 9:30 or 10pm, and finally retiring from there after 25 years in the Teamsters Union. I guess it’s all in where you ‘wanna’ be. If you’re happy, that’s all that counts. If you like what you’re doing, you never ‘work’ a day in your life. Not a day goes by that I don’t thank the ‘Big Boss’ up there for the way things turned out. I got lucky...my patience paid off. Best of luck Brother Ted!

PS: I PM’d you. Drop me a line sometime.
Amen. Didn't appreciate the pension fund much back in 1974.....but today. Thank God.

Yes...that fund is in pretty bad shape. Lots of other funds doing quite well though...mine included. I’m sorry the two union places that you worked at felt it necessary to implement a lay-off. Terrible thing. That happened to me at Roadway several years ago, and at the very next job I had as well. Those were rough years on the family, without question. But, I stuck with it, made some ‘cuts’ to the family budget, etc. Got a job at a non-union carrier for a couple of years during the ‘Depression’ and then hired on at ABF Freight where I rode out the years of being on the bottom, getting the crappy routes, and working outbound dock AFTER my 200-mile loop route...sometimes not clocking out until 9:30 or 10pm, and finally retiring from there after 25 years in the Teamsters Union. I guess it’s all in where you ‘wanna’ be. If you’re happy, that’s all that counts. If you like what you’re doing, you never ‘work’ a day in your life. Not a day goes by that I don’t thank the ‘Big Boss’ up there for the way things turned out. I got lucky...my patience paid off. Best of luck Brother Ted!

PS: I PM’d you. Drop me a line sometime.
Btw one more thing....when I retired from the western conference in 06 the 1st guy I happened upon after I moved to TEXAS was an R+L bobtail driver. I asked if R+L was non union because I was unable to work union and he starts bashing the supposed corrupt teamsters union. I didn't respond to him as I realized he didn't know what he was talking about......as my pension checks kept rolling in.....I actually laughed on the inside as I put in my application here. All I know is the pension fund will outlive me. And that's all I care about. Other than that I'm feeling good about where my life is. We all make choices. Some good. Some not. Good night.

I have ZERO unpaid time at work. I do 50-55 hours a week at 29.02 an hour, FYI 55 hours a week at 50 weeks a year plus 2 vacation
Is just over 80,000 annually, so yeah if you think I'm being screwed I believe I'll take it. 80k a year at a non union gig vs. no job after 2 union gigs, again I'll take the non union getting screwed gig.
does r&l carries do urine or hair drug test

I read on Transport Topics that starting Jan 1, 2020, carriers will be required to test 50% of their drivers, up from 25%. I have no problem with taking a random, but now that the odds of getting pulled for one are increasing, it would be nice to get paid to do it. In 20+ years I’ve only gotten paid for one. Our regional manager, Steve F. had a meeting with us earlier this year and told us we’re going to start getting paid for it, but the next day he told us he was mistaken and we will keep doing it off the clock..

Call off the next day. Can’t sleep

I read on Transport Topics that starting Jan 1, 2020, carriers will be required to test 50% of their drivers, up from 25%. I have no problem with taking a random, but now that the odds of getting pulled for one are increasing, it would be nice to get paid to do it. In 20+ years I’ve only gotten paid for one. Our regional manager, Steve F. had a meeting with us earlier this year and told us we’re going to start getting paid for it, but the next day he told us he was mistaken and we will keep doing it off the clock..
If I am picked I clock in and go. Pissed off cause puts me behind all day. But are Terminal calls you in early so you are there when it opens. But you think you are coming in to run early. This is at R&L terminal.

If I am picked I clock in and go. Pissed off cause puts me behind all day. But are Terminal calls you in early so you are there when it opens. But you think you are coming in to run early. This is at R&L terminal.
Serves you right if you were guilty of driving one of those old Browns that blocked out the sun between Charl and ATL.
You could be miles behind an A T and still follow his smoke trail.