Averitt | Rant !!

I'm all about family time and vacations but to take a random night off without any plans is a wasted day for me.

SO if your terminal would call you and offer to give you a Friday night off just before you left for work, you wouldn't say yes? I would in a heartbeat. My home time is far more important to me than money and I will take any opportunity to stay home that I can. With that said, if I stay home at AE's request, I should be given an added attendance point (i.e. I have 14 in the bank, I should then have 15). I think that is fair.

I'm all about family time and vacations but to take a random night off without any plans is a wasted day for me.
How about looking forward to a full weekend off, then on Friday there is a change of plans and you don't get in until Saturday nite, with a Monday morning leave out......sorry driver but it's trucking you know....or you were the ONLY one capable of doing the load.....yeah Fri morning in TIF, got to go up to FUL and pick up a LTL to WPB at 2300 that nite or a ORL that picks up at 1200 Saturday morning, get to FUL and there is 50 sleepers parked and the drivers gone home for the weekend!

SO if your terminal would call you and offer to give you a Friday night off just before you left for work, you wouldn't say yes? I would in a heartbeat. My home time is far more important to me than money and I will take any opportunity to stay home that I can. With that said, if I stay home at AE's request, I should be given an added attendance point (i.e. I have 14 in the bank, I should then have 15). I think that is fair.
I would so no since we did not have plans. I see it like this, if I had 250.00 in my pocket and it somehow fell out of my pocket and lost I would be sick. Same difference in losing a night's wage after sleeping all day. But I am a lot younger than you and have a son starting college soon.

Richard smiling from ear to ear while thinking "I cannot for the life of me understand how it is that Gary has allowed me to suck payroll for so many years". It truly is time for him to exit stage left. :sadwavey:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to firmly agree to disagree with you on Richard, I have sat and talked to him in person and via email and he is an operations machine when it comes to how we do the day to day business. I may have not liked the answer I was given, but he didn't beat around the bush about it. And 98% of the time he has explained it clearly why my plan wouldn't work, great idea as it was, it wouldn't work in the great scheme of things.

Well I firmly disagree with your disagreement. You may have spoken with him. He may have been an "operations machine" when there were 5 or 6 terminals in Tennessee. Today, he is in WAY WAY over his head. His time is up and it's time for him to go. I've known this man's meddle for many years and during that time he has never shown me anything that proves to me that he is competent in his position. This is all you know. I know other companies who's vp ops blows this imposter away. I've worked for them...I know!

I guess the difference in me and you is, I have sat down and spoken with him, one on one on more than one occasion. I have the utmost respect for him, he has done nothing to or said anything to me to break my trust and confidence in him. But once again, let's remember I'm a spoiled rotten gravy train Shuttle driver out of Knoxville. Life is good in Tennessee !

I've talked to him on numerous occasions, hence my opinion formed and further confirmed with every subsequent visit. I stick by what I say....Feckless and incompetent. Maybe he would be a good manager at a McDonalds but not at, what is touted to be, a "great" company. It would be far greater with him GONE!

I hear you Lifer, we all have our opinions on different issues and that is what makes the world go around. I choose to live my life trying to find the positive aspect of all things in life. I have a job to do, I do it. I get paid each Friday for doing my job. I love what I do simple as that. I'm paid to drive a truck and do that safely, if I had chosen to go the higher education route I would be making decisions at a corporate level. But I just do what I'm told without grumbling or complaining and I sleep so well when my head hit's the pillow.

I know that BHM terminal had all of their tractors interiors detailed twice a year (or they used to). I saw one that had been detailed and they had done a pretty good job. Do any other terminals have this done to their tractors?

At Knx. tractor cleaning is the driver's responsibility. Our management strongly urges us to report a driver if he leaves your assigned tractor in a mess and that party will be disciplined.

Our front line leaders in nor are so behind, and in so far over their head they could care less about anyone's assigned tractor. They would look at you like you were crazy if you told them a temp left his garbage in your tractor. You get what you pay for, and FLL's here are paid more poorly than we are.

Most of these so called "leaders" are anything but. They are computer input associates. From what I have seen, not much leading. Most never come off the dock stand.

Whats Wrong WithThis Picture

Just happen to look at the Averitt Careers site....Regional Truckload Starting Pay
.40 start out
.435 start out, if your out of Franklin Park, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Columbus, Springfield, and Cleveland
.46 start out if your out of Winchester, Fishersville, Mechanicsburg, Milwaukee, Kalamazoo, Burbank, and Morton
Top Out pay .435-.46
Potential fuel bonus 1/2 cent per mile........WTF happened to the .01 cpm
Hey COOKEVILLE....the next time you want to send me to the Northeast, especially New Jersey, New York, PA, MD OH,MI,IN,IL or any of those other CRAPHOLE customers above the OHIO RIVER/MASON DIXON line....especially during the winter...How about working a swap to one of these HIGH paid drivers you treasure.....It really pizze'z me off that after 10.5+ years in truckload, with no issues...I'm only worth .435 cpm to the company....You don't want to pay me .46 cpm DON'T SEND ME TO THOSE AREAS TO DELIVER AND PICKUP A LOADS!

Move up there and enjoy the high cost of living and I'm sure they will pay you those wages, I wouldn't move away from East Tennessee for .60 cents a mile, or even .75 cent a mile.Looks to me like we are trying to land the best drivers and are willing to pay for it.

Move up there and enjoy the high cost of living and I'm sure they will pay you those wages, I wouldn't move away from East Tennessee for .60 cents a mile, or even .75 cent a mile.Looks to me like we are trying to land the best drivers and are willing to pay for it.
Want to pay this months electric bill down here in FL $500, how about the insurance and property taxes.....I will gladly swap out loads with those drivers so they can earn the BIG BUCKS, and keep their behinds in their region.

Sorry ConWay. Does your company make sure that your drivers can't drive before putting them on the road. Have to deal with these clowns every night. Pathetic all of them.

Rumored to prepare for paperless DVR, and it leaves an electronic footprint to any issue with equipment. Makes it impossible to dispatch without paperwork in hand ! I can assume that most everyone know we can use the scanner for the trailer number and manifest number.