XPO | Rat is right on with what he has been saying..

beerfd

TB Veteran
Credits
So, I hope he joins soon. I hate to admit it, but we've had 2 guys quit in the last two weeks. One with 14 years and the other probably atleast 12 years. They said they have had enough. :\
These guys didn't have attendance problems or accident problems. Both were very good and valuable employees. (atleast, I thought so)

Our place is a mess and WAY over capacity. Service sucks down this way.

I'll go on to say that, some of the new-hires are quiting also. I guess the economy down here in Texas isn't that bad. There's lots of jobs around here..

So, I hope he joins soon. I hate to admit it, but we've had 2 guys quit in the last two weeks. One with 14 years and the other probably atleast 12 years. They said they have had enough. :\
These guys didn't have attendance problems or accident problems. Both were very good and valuable employees. (atleast, I thought so)

I'll go on to say that, some of the new-hires are quiting also. I guess the economy down here in Texas isn't that bad. There's lots of jobs around here..

there is not hardly one person at our place that is not on the verge of implodeing. everyone is being worked to the bone and has no family life of anykind .this co. since the 3rd string has taken over by all implications has no clue as to what is going on.in my alomost 20yrs. with them and another 20 in this line of work, i have never seen anything like it.very dishearting to say the lest

Honestly Beerfd I would rather have been wrong.

I saw this coming a long time ago. People pushing people to the brink of exhaustion.

It is inevitable that eventually something must give. It is apparent the company is not going to give. And therein lies the problem...

The system is way outdated...out of sync methodologies and a Henry Ford management mentality that became passe' eons ago...people management by brute force. These ideologies were the all the rage some decades back...but times have changed.

In this day there are more opportunities...more career choices and myriads of companies begging for qualified help. If a company refuses to adjust the management style of human interaction they will inevitably fail...as they will have gained a reputation as a place to be avoided...and this organization has attained that notoriety.

You can push people just so far...and they will eventually give up when they see little or no hope of improvement. It comes when they realize the status quo practices are never going to change...and most likely will get worse.

Its the more...more...more...for less and less mantra...that is the killer. Add to that the "no matter what you do it is never good enough" diatribe and good hard working folks get frustrated.

I say this with all seriousness...if the company doesn't cease and desist with this outdated and non-productive mindest they are going to be in big trouble...

Many companies are begging for qualified help...looking for drivers with good driving records...LTL experience...city and linehaul experience...the ability and willingness to be part of a team. These things are respected in many other companies...Con-Way has yet to recognize or acknowledge these attributes as being an important essential to the ongoing success of the enterprise.

The results are inevitable...folks will leave. There are too many companies willing to respect the professionalism and qualifications of an LTL experienced driver for the average John Doe in the employ of this company to continue to put up with the nonsense.

In the last two years all Con-Way has done is BS and blow smoke at the the rank and file...everything that comes along is a crisis...which is just another line of useless and insulting nonsense.

The employees no longer have any trust in the company and integrity is pretty much out the window.

Ann Arbor is staffed with people so out of touch with reality that it absolutely boggles the mind. They have indoctrinated themselves with an age old outdated methods that needs to be changed. These changes are essential to the continuity of the company.

The entire operating method needs to be changed...the old way doesn't work. Other companies have recognized this and have adjusted accordingly...Con-Way has yet to do this.

There seems to be an 'old guard' at CW that needs to move on. Their tactics are non-productive...insulting...demeaning.

Until such a time as this organization comes to grips with this reality they are in jeopardy.

This MUST happen or the company is in dire straits...the people must be recognized and rewarded...professionals need to be acknowledged...or its game over!

Too many others are willing to do this.

Now is the time.

Rat

A good example is this so called claims and loss. Why is it so high of a cost. They in XGO know why but they won't admit it. They won't fix the problem, they want us to do it. We, as the drivers are not at fault that I can see. I don't see alot of damages, very very little.What else are the padding the # with?

In my neck of the woods we don't seem to have the problems the big terminals have. during a 24 hour period you may have 100+ employees running through the terminal were as I'm in a operation that has 35-40 so the employees here feel more connected to what's going on and take more ownership in the operation. It's harder in the bigger ops. to recognize and be recognized for doing a good job. There's also a bit of pier pressure here that the bigger terminals probably don't have. Everybody knows everybody here and if someone is falling back a bit we'll let them know and help get it together. We're a dysfunctional family. We depend on you guys to take care of our customers freight just like you depend on us to take care of your customers freight. But upper management has seemed to become to disconnected from the workforce and are so focused on the "Bottom Line" that they seem to have forgotten us in the trenches. No raises, no 401k match. less medical, on and on. Some people don't take this well.

No raises, no 401k match. less medical, on and on. Some people don't take this well.

That is the problem...people don't take this well.

And they never will.

Until such a time Con-Way realizes the people employed therein are the driving force behind any successes achieved and not the non-sensical rantings of some over paid executive in Ann Arbor nothing will change.

It is simple common sense...it amazes me the palace is having such a hard time grasping such an elementary principle....your company is only as good as the people who work there...how hard is that?....

Engage folks...and they will becomed engaged...alienate those same peeps and they don't give a ****....

Common and familiar takes on the human condition.

For the love of it...this is not rocket science...nothing close...

It is people serving people...moving freight..providing a service...how hard is that?....

It isn't...unless you are part of some testosterone overload whereas chest thumping is the measure of what type of person you are and is the measure of your realized success and you are under the impression that everything you have done or any verbalizations you have uttered are somehow viewed as an edict from God...

Well Slick they are not...

Depend and lean upon the professional expertise of your people...then shut the hell up!...

It must be terrible....

To realize as a leader of a major LTL carrrier to come to grips with the stark and harsh reality that you have no idea in hell what you are doing!....

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of another company that is hanging on by the skin of their teeth.
Without the people down in the trenches no company can survive. Poor managment is everywhere in this industry.
Good luck on the race to the bottom !!
All we need is a few strong companys to set the standard for this industry. UPSF looks to be the up and comming star as far as wages and bennys that I can see .

how much is it going to help getting rid of a few zip codes to lgt and kimberly clark back to lfw going to help