XPO | Rate Increase

I think that there is an easy answer for that, especially with the bigger companies that have more terminals strategically placed. Less or no dock work, means that you have more miles available to run. And most companies could add miles if the drivers didn't have to work the dock. Where I live, I know that that IS the case.

Still only get to drive 11 of your 14 hours.

I got some friends that worked at Conway and for whatever reason have ended up at OD . From what I hear (my info comes from other drivers ) OD will fire a man in a heartbeat if they drag there butts . The guys I know don't seem to hate that to much . They say everybody works and that makes it easier on everyone. While at Conway we have our hard chargers that get it done and slackers that think there entitled . Seems like the boys in green take some pride in there work and are appreciated by leadership . I know Conway has some excellent employees ,that take pride in there work but with all these new faces it seems work ethic and quality has went down .
What ever happened to the American work ethic in general? We get hired to do a job, but too many people spend more time looking at how to get out of work, then they do actually working. I believe in doing your job, or hit the road. It sounds to me like a few companies have decided to thin the herd and improve productivity. Either you do a fair days work for a fair days pay or plan on getting ::shit:: canned. I'm all for it, because making up for other people's laziness has run it's course, and the better workers are tired of it.

I got some friends that worked at Conway and for whatever reason have ended up at OD . From what I hear (my info comes from other drivers ) OD will fire a man in a heartbeat if they drag there butts . The guys I know don't seem to hate that to much . They say everybody works and that makes it easier on everyone. While at Conway we have our hard chargers that get it done and slackers that think there entitled . Seems like the boys in green take some pride in there work and are appreciated by leadership . I know Conway has some excellent employees ,that take pride in there work but with all these new faces it seems work ethic and quality has went down .
As has been said many times in many threads, accountability!! There is none at con-way. I hope that changes.

Yep. I'm aware of that. But there are companies where drivers are working the dock for several hours, when they could be running more miles, and still stay within the 11 hour driving limit.

Just saying. The normal LH run is probably 6-7 hours of drive time ? I know a lot of guys run further. But those are usually big boy runs. Could you drive past a terminal and still make 11 hours ? If that's true, don't we have to many terminals ?

This is something I think is nearly certain. More miles. Longer runs. How do you do that without being out for more than one night ?

Meet and turn, all of our schedules in ATL are meets or terminal turns... We have about 100 schedules and about 200 solos and only about half of us are solo extra (laydowns), the rest are wild turn drivers. So it can be done while getting a majority of your guys home every day. But, they would have to take all the 2+ day freight off sub wagons and let y'all haul it.

For those who struggle to stay awake, the dock work at the destination terminal might be a good thing. It would get you out of the cab and woke back up for the trip home. Some guys couldn't stay awake/alert if they had to run 500 miles per night. To each their own, I guess.

It takes some getting used to, but if you've been running graveyard for a long time like most Con-jobbers, it shouldn't take much to adjust.

Meet and turn, all of our schedules in ATL are meets or terminal turns... We have about 100 schedules and about 200 solos and only about half of us are solo extra (laydowns), the rest are wild turn drivers. So it can be done while getting a majority of your guys home every day. But, they would have to take all the 2+ day freight off sub wagons and let y'all haul it.

And dispatch ? Do you guys all show up at the window at the same time like carp begging for a nibble ?

It takes some getting used to, but if you've been running graveyard for a long time like most Con-jobbers, it shouldn't take much to adjust.

I'm in the city right now. But I ran LH for three years solid. The nights where all I did was drive never really bothered me. But to drive 3 hours and then race around for 4 hours left me exhausted in a rest area with my head on the wheel not even 45 minutes into my drive home.

OD here runs a lot like Sefl. Less than 10 min per stop, go go go! Conway here will sit and wait while unloading larger shipments or wait a couple hours at customers dock to pick up half a trailer. OD won't wait like that. Nor will Sefl

Exact opposite in my experience. When I was at Con-way they were always pushing me to push the customer, my short span at OD in the city it seemed like there was no rush. We run all our freight so it doesn't matter if it gets into the plan after 1800. Hell a lot of times a trailer sits at the origin terminal til the next day and gets moved by daytime extraboarders if there's enough service days on it. Our motto is to load to the farthest break point, and move it like hell once it gets moving. We could shorten up our service days on some of our freight and still make it, I've seen us get stuff there so early.

And dispatch ? Do you guys all show up at the window at the same time like carp begging for a nibble ?

They call us up 2 hours before departure and our bills are usually sitting on the table ready to be picked up.

If you run a terminal turn they set up departures based on arrival. They don't usually run multiple guys out of the eols all at once either. They space them out usually 2 hrs at a time in order of seniority so that the guy ahead of you is gone back when you get there.

They call us up 2 hours before departure and our bills are usually sitting on the table ready to be picked up.

If you run a terminal turn they set up departures based on arrival. They don't usually run multiple guys out of the eols all at once either. They space them out usually 2 hrs at a time in order of seniority so that the guy ahead of you is gone back when you get there.

No fighting or bickering ? Just come in and roll ?

Could you drive past a terminal and still make 11 hours ?
Where I'm from.....yes. OD and several others do it every night. It's not possible in all areas though.

If that's true, don't we have to many terminals ?
Possibly. But there are lots of smaller terminals that might need to be re-located also. But since line haul is the biggest expense for most companies, someone with a long term vision might make the necessary changes.

Since XPO said that he's going to "show the drivers more love", his plan could be to make these types of changes to add on miles. You better just hope that his version of "more love" doesn't require KY Jelly.:2437:

For those who struggle to stay awake, the dock work at the destination terminal might be a good thing. It would get you out of the cab and woke back up for the trip home. Some guys couldn't stay awake/alert if they had to run 500 miles per night. To each their own, I guess.
At my previous freight job it was harder to stay awake on the dock run especially winter time. Nice and warm tractor after 2-3 hours on freezing dock means hour down the road I'm on the get on ramp.

Yep. I'm aware of that. But there are companies where drivers are working the dock for several hours, when they could be running more miles, and still stay within the 11 hour driving limit.

20:00 Exit personal vehicle. Hook, pre trip, placard
20:30 leave terminal with set
00:45 Arrive destination terminal. Split, fuel, hook, pre trip, obligatory 30 off duty
01:30 leave terminal with set
06:00 Arrive home terminal, post trip, split, dock.
06:30 Go the f home. 530 miles & .75 hourly pay. It is actually only 8:50 driving & 10:15 on duty.
Just an example for those unfamiliar.

Exact opposite in my experience. When I was at Con-way they were always pushing me to push the customer, my short span at OD in the city it seemed like there was no rush. We run all our freight so it doesn't matter if it gets into the plan after 1800. Hell a lot of times a trailer sits at the origin terminal til the next day and gets moved by daytime extraboarders if there's enough service days on it. Our motto is to load to the farthest break point, and move it like hell once it gets moving. We could shorten up our service days on some of our freight and still make it, I've seen us get stuff there so early.

That's pretty much the same as how Saia runs. Load it pure if you can, otherwise load it as a breaker for the farthest away break terminal possible. Very common to see bills show up at the final terminal a day or two early.

I run a lay down run now that's 566 miles one way, and very rarely do I have to run through any terminals on the way. Took a while to get used to the long driving period, but now it's just a routine. Come to work, grab my bills, hook a set (most times it's already hooked) drive 4.5 hours, take a lunch, drive 4.5 more and go to bed in the hotel. Wake up and do it in reverse the next night and go home. Only time I ever talk to a manager is to nod hello once in a while. Gravy...

That's pretty much the same as how Saia runs. Load it pure if you can, otherwise load it as a breaker for the farthest away break terminal possible. Very common to see bills show up at the final terminal a day or two early.

I run a lay down run now that's 566 miles one way, and very rarely do I have to run through any terminals on the way. Took a while to get used to the long driving period, but now it's just a routine. Come to work, grab my bills, hook a set (most times it's already hooked) drive 4.5 hours, take a lunch, drive 4.5 more and go to bed in the hotel. Wake up and do it in reverse the next night and go home. Only time I ever talk to a manager is to nod hello once in a while. Gravy...

Where are you out of and where do you run?

Where I'm from.....yes. OD and several others do it every night. It's not possible in all areas though.

You better just hope that his version of "more love" doesn't require KY Jelly.:2437:
I have been around here long enough I'd rather have it dry. I have a better chance of feeling it