XPO | Rate Increase

The customer has to get tired of the up down rate increases . If OD can operate with a 85 OR without the rates fluctuating why can't we? OD generated half the money we did last year but cleared a better profit. Seems like if Conway wanted to help the bottom line they would reduce damages.
I bet O.D. don't use Con-Ways sodimizer and move freight 200 miles out of the way. increase re-handle and damages.

Damage freight isn't just from upset drivers . We got guys that has on been on the dock a month or so training people . We got fos's saying make the freight fit . We're loading vans that do not have safe stack but salinger safe stack to our customers . There is enough blame to go around . Hopefully everyone will see this as a opportunity for a fresh start without loosing senority .
I understand " high and tight" loading, I understand accidental damages due to packing it in, but what I keep hearing from companies with disgruntled employees (YRC) is one I know from experience, is that they damage freight as a recourse to their anger with mgmt. Union or non- union, if this is caught happening they should be fired. If you see someone doing that you should confront them. That is your job going down the drain.

Watch we will begin running laydown runs with plenty of vias. I think running empty trailers will be a thing of the past.

This is something I think is nearly certain. More miles. Longer runs. How do you do that without being out for more than one night ?

Usually, when carriers announce a general rate increase they exempt customers already under contract which is probably 90% of your business anyway

Usually, when carriers announce a general rate increase they exempt customers already under contract which is probably 90% of your business anyway

But they have to be going in a demanding increases from contract freight as well. The shortage as well as lower fuel prices will give them all kinds of ammo in negotiations.

But they have to be going in a demanding increases from contract freight as well. The shortage as well as lower fuel prices will give them all kinds of ammo in negotiations.
Most all contract freight is negotiated once each year. They choose a certain tariff and base all of the pricing off of that. They set fuel Surcharges with a cap rate. They set pricing per weight shipped per quarter. If a carrier goes in and changes anything in the contract, the entire contract is null and void. My company had to eat a 6% fuel surcharge cap in a contract back when fuel went sky high in2010.

This is something I think is nearly certain. More miles. Longer runs. How do you do that without being out for more than one night ?
I think that there is an easy answer for that, especially with the bigger companies that have more terminals strategically placed. Less or no dock work, means that you have more miles available to run. And most companies could add miles if the drivers didn't have to work the dock. Where I live, I know that that IS the case.

I think that there is an easy answer for that, especially with the bigger companies that have more terminals strategically placed. Less or no dock work, means that you have more miles available to run. And most companies could add miles if the drivers didn't have to work the dock. Where I live, I know that that IS the case.
Also : Turn tractors top speed up.

As a line haul driver, I need dock time to earn a living. Our longest run is 325 miles round trip. If I had a longer run, no dock would be ok with me, though it does break up the night and get me some exercise.
I would expect analysis for the first six months. The amount of terminals you have & your "expected" dock work will prevent a Saia or OD type linehaul in the immediate future. You think you like the exercise til you run 500+ mile turns with little to no wait at the turn.

For those who struggle to stay awake, the dock work at the destination terminal might be a good thing. It would get you out of the cab and woke back up for the trip home. Some guys couldn't stay awake/alert if they had to run 500 miles per night. To each their own, I guess.

I understand " high and tight" loading, I understand accidental damages due to packing it in, but what I keep hearing from companies with disgruntled employees (YRC) is one I know from experience, is that they damage freight as a recourse to their anger with mgmt. Union or non- union, if this is caught happening they should be fired. If you see someone doing that you should confront them. That is your job going down the drain.
I agree it's everyone's job going down the drain but it all falls back on accountability . Leadership will not hold people accountable when it is plain as day there damaging freight on purpose . Mishaps are gonna happen but riding down the dock with forks through a flat screen isn't a mishap all awhile mangement turns there head .

I'm not certain how they get that 85 OR but there whipping our butts at freight .
OD here runs a lot like Sefl. Less than 10 min per stop, go go go! Conway here will sit and wait while unloading larger shipments or wait a couple hours at customers dock to pick up half a trailer. OD won't wait like that. Nor will Sefl

OD here runs a lot like Sefl. Less than 10 min per stop, go go go! Conway here will sit and wait while unloading larger shipments or wait a couple hours at customers dock to pick up half a trailer. OD won't wait like that. Nor will Sefl
I got some friends that worked at Conway and for whatever reason have ended up at OD . From what I hear (my info comes from other drivers ) OD will fire a man in a heartbeat if they drag there butts . The guys I know don't seem to hate that to much . They say everybody works and that makes it easier on everyone. While at Conway we have our hard chargers that get it done and slackers that think there entitled . Seems like the boys in green take some pride in there work and are appreciated by leadership . I know Conway has some excellent employees ,that take pride in there work but with all these new faces it seems work ethic and quality has went down .